Why Are 22 Suppressors So Expensive?

I've been looking at 22LR suppressors around Murfreesboro area.Most economical ones have aluminum baffles from Hunter Town Guardian run $189 to $199, no one has the ss baffles. I looked at 22LR Sparrow with steel baffles mono-core $499 and all SS $599. One LGS said for 22 LR aluminun baffles were good, but with the crud from 22LR and low pressures I would think steel or SS baffels or mono-core steel would be needed. Why not a more realistic price where people would buy more and spend the $200 for NFA stamp? The cost of materials used in these suppressors looks very minimal. What is a good economical, quality and easy to clean 22LR suppressor with steel or SS baffles and 1/2 x 28 threads? Would like to take the plunge into suppressors but stay below $500-$600 total including stamp.

Edited by lshel
The cost of suppressors is ridiculous because they are regulated by the government and a small segment of the population is willing to pay.

The state of Tennessee has given us the green light to end this silliness, but the Feds have warned they will put us in jail. So until it’s tested; the ridiculous pricing will continue.
  • Like 1

^^This

If the silencer where to only be say $50, would you really stand to pay a $200 tax for it?  Back in the 80's you could buy the components to make a silencer for a .22 for around $20-$40 at many gunshows.  It was all aluminum with rubber washers and was quite easily made (still is) with a lathe.  Tech is much better now, and components a bit more expensive but still cheaper than the price tag you see, so no, they should not be that expensive if left to market fluctuations. 

I have the Huntertown 22 with SS baffles. Got it from Guns and Leather.  It does a great job.  I also have their 9mm suppressor that works well.  I like that I can buy the threaded adaptors in different thread patterns so I can use it on both 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 threads.   I then have a SWR Specwar 7.62 for the big stuff.  

I will agree that the Stainless Sparrow is the best looking 22 suppressor, but I don't think there is $250 difference between it and my Huntertown SS.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Authorized Vendor

The cost of suppressors is ridiculous because they are regulated by the government and a small segment of the population is willing to pay.

The state of Tennessee has given us the green light to end this silliness, but the Feds have warned they will put us in jail. So until it’s tested; the ridiculous pricing will continue.

Nailed it. :up:

Kind of analogous to the whole weed issue being now legal in many states but still federally illegal. I don't see how this would be any different.

But it takes a few people being arrested to find out what the courts say and a simple possession charge versus a federal NFA charge...... Huge difference.

But it takes a few people being arrested to find out what the courts say and a simple possession charge versus a federal NFA charge...... Huge difference.

What is the "simple possession"? Unregistered NFA item is a felony both under TN and federal law, and can be prosecuted under both.

If the configuration fits terms of the TN Firearm Freedom Act, TN can not charge you, but the Feds still can of course.

Note that full auto is not covered under the TFFA, btw.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Suppressors are a specialty item with a limited market.  Most people don't want to wait 6 months to buy one. 

You can buy one at anytime, you can even shoot them anytime as long as the dealer has a place to shoot. I know of several dealers that will let you use the silencer you bought in their facilities while you wait.

When Form 4s were capable of being submitted electronically it was not even close to 6 months. Right now Form 1 items are coming back in under a month and as soon as they reopen the Form 4's it will likely be nearly as short. Right now I am getting my Form 1's back faster than any other time I can recall.

I just chucked some up and I was able to easily machine it with some new tooling I recently bought.

It’s not hard to machine if you have the right tooling and feeds. Don’t let a tool or a drill bit dwell in the cut; it will flash the cutting edge right off.