Pistol 9mm loading question

Guest Whitfed

Guest Whitfed
See the pic below.

On the left is a Nosler 124 hollow point and the right a 124g Hornady.

Note the bulge at the base of the Nosler bullet in the case. What is the cause of this bulge?

Sorry. For some reason can't post picture. Edited by Whitfed

Most likely the sizing die is a bit tight (...a good thing...) and the bullet is on the upper side of the size range... I the loaded round will chamber (...as others have wisely opined...); the round will be good...  Our 357 sig and some 45 acp rounds look like that lots of time...

leroy

Brass thickness (most likely), the die that resized it, bullet. Many things could have caused it but as long as it fits the chamber and magazine I would not worry.

My first instinct is with you. If the OP pulled the bullets on a few of each size to weigh them, I bet he'd see a measurable difference in the group weight of each. Of course he could also look at headstamps as well, since some factory ammo uses thinner brass than others (Remington comes to mind with some calibers, like .38 special).

Either way, nothing to worry about here. That is, however, a huge difference in ogive on those 2 bullets. I have a few pistols that would not run that fat ogive at the same OAL as the steeper ogive. Since these are clearly different bullets, I'd also put my calipers on a dozen or so of each type to see if there's a difference in the diameters. Edited by BigK
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't sweat it at all. Shoot 'em with confidence. I've opened up boxes of Remington and Winchester JHPs as well as Federal American eagle FMJ and have noticed this that little bulge as well. Even though steel is harder than brass, I can also faintly see it on some TULAmmo rounds. Yes, if screw your bullet seating die out a 3/4 of a turn or so, it should disappear. But I don't crimp my 9mm and have noticed better accuracy when I see that little bulge. I'm guessing the explanation behind that is more uniform neck tension leads to a more uniform "push" down the barrel as the powder ignites. 

As long as your OAL isn't too short, it'll be safe.