AR lowers

res308

Not sure where to post this, but I'm looking for the best value in an AR lower. My boys have been itching for a couple of AR's for a while now, and trying to save up for them, and I've agreed to help them save up and build them. I wish I could find someone that had two or three stripped lowers for sale. I've built a few myself, and a friend of mine builds them on an ongoing basis, so I could just try and get complete rifles. But, like I told him, I want my boys to have the experience of building there own. I won't get them to build the uppers for their first go-around, but I want them to learn how to fully assemble the lowers.

So, does anyone know anyone who would sell some lowers, and, are there differences in the quality of the various manufacturers? I know that the plethora of brands out there are really manufactured by just a few companies.

Also, probably going with the carbine length. Anyone have any advice on which weight of buffer to use?

And, yes, to answer your question, it's been quite a while since I built or studied them.

Thanks.

Rick

res308@live.com

Edited by res308
IMHO, as long as it's from a recognizable brand name, these days a lower is a lower is a lower. It doesn't do anything, it is a hunk of aluminum in which you put things. Sure some have fancy spiders engraved, and it's cool to have a fancy billet lower like the awesome ones we got from CMT TGO run with our logo on it, but honestly for a basic gun I see little to no performance difference between that fancy billet piece and the $39 blem Anderson lower I built my next rifle on. Both work great. One looks cooler and cost 4 times more. I am super glad I have both and am very happy with the value I got in each case.

I see basic lowers on FB listing for $80-90 often, sometimes less. I believe Guns and More in Smyrna has Spike's lowers for $89 +tax/tics. You can find the Andersons for around $50-60 +tax/tics at many shops. They are often $39 online, plus your transfer and tics.

Good luck and have fun! Watch palmettostatearmory.com for deals as well. Just be prepared to wait a bit for orders to arrive. They've gotten better but sometimes people do still experience long shipping times through them, but if you aren't in a hurry they offer some smokin' deals every now and then.

Good luck and keep us posted! Edited by musicman
  • Like 2
+1 for PSA, I built mine on a blemished lower from them, which they regularly discount for 49.99. I never found a blemish other than maybe a slight scuff that rubbed out. But really like musicman said, they're all pretty much the same, a hunk of aluminum or polymer.

If you want to go cheap, there's nothing wrong with Anderson lowers. They are made in Kentucky.

If you want top of the line, click on the cmttac.com  advertisement at the top of the forum page. They're made here in Tennessee, and are top shelf.

• Like 1

How about $30? Rguns is selling Delware lowers atm for $30. Evidently Delware was a machining company that was trying to make some extra cash in the gun craze and made a bunch of lowers. It ddidn't save them and they went under. Rguns got most of their stock.

How about $30? Rguns is selling Delware lowers atm for $30. Evidently Delware was a machining company that was trying to make some extra cash in the gun craze and made a bunch of lowers. It ddidn't save them and they went under. Rguns got most of their stock.

Wow, I have 4 complete lowers waiting on uppers but dang if this ain't a good deal. I went through a couple numbers in the cart from 1 to 5 lowers, and shipping was 15 bucks for all. 

Edited by rugerla1