Opinions on bobtailing a LWT Colt Commander

zybysco

I have a late 70s commander that I got from another member on here. I really like the bluing on these guns as it is my second one. The frame isn't in the best shape. The slide has some character, but isn't to bad. What it be an affront to get it bobtailed and reanodized to match the finish? Anyone had it done? Any recommendations? I looked at buying one like this but the prices are crazy. I'm open to suggestions.
I am interested in a bobtail also, but a friend that had one has warned me off it. He says it changes the feel of the gun and just doesnt feel like a 1911 anymore. My plan before I actually do one is to find one and at the minimum see what it feels like in the hand and if possibke put a few rounds thru one.

As far as doing it to a Ltwt Colt, eh some purists will crucify you, but if it is done right I dont see the problem. Edited by pops572
Trying to find a Bobtail to try on first is probably the best way start out. If you like the feel etc, then It's your gun and your money, do whatever you want to. Don't worry about anybody else's opinion,yours is the only one that counts. Unless of course you're making a super tactical Glock.
  • Like 3

Trying to find a Bobtail to try on first is probably the best way start out. If you like the feel etc, then It's your gun and your money, do whatever you want to. Don't worry about anybody else's opinion,yours is the only one that counts. Unless of course you're making a super tactical Glock.

I have a bobtailed MAC and I absolutely love it. Especially after a little work from Sam Hoster in Gallatin. It will get a bit more soon.

Any local guys that would like to try it...we can try to work in a meeting sometime.

zyb... I will join the chorus of those who recommend ya handlin one and shooting it before you decide to work it over...  I also believe that if ya have larger hands, it will be a problem...

Real loads in a LW commander bark pretty hard (...to me at least...)... I need all the grip i can reach around to comfortably shoot a LW (...we've got one...)...

We went the other way with our... Spur hammer instead of a rowell, and ambi safety, and champion adjustable low profile nite sights...  

As i remember, the reason for a bobtail wuz to help with consealability... If you are like me and a bit round; it wont be a problem anyway... I used to carry one all the time IWB with no problems... I wont carry them now, too valuable to dissapear into a police locker for years...

leroy

zyb... I will join the chorus of those who recommend ya handlin one and shooting it before you decide to work it over...  I also believe that if ya have larger hands, it will be a problem...

Real loads in a LW commander bark pretty hard (...to me at least...)... I need all the grip i can reach around to comfortably shoot a LW (...we've got one...)...

We went the other way with our... Spur hammer instead of a rowell, and ambi safety, and champion adjustable low profile nite sights...  

As i remember, the reason for a bobtail wuz to help with consealability... If you are like me and a bit round; it wont be a problem anyway... I used to carry one all the time IWB with no problems... I wont carry them now, too valuable to dissapear into a police locker for years...

leroy

I have large hands, (XXL gloves size large), and love my Ed Brown Kobra Karry so much that I bobbed my 1911A1. It certainly helps with concealment, but it also helps with comfort during IWB concealed carry. I concur with shooting one first to determine what's right for you.

Not a fan of bobtails myself. But its your gun, do what you want.

I sent my Pre-70 Series Commander back to Colt for a refinish a few years ago. Came back beautiful. As I recall the cost was $235 + shipping. Probably gone up a little since then, but well worth it.  :up:

I may give Colt a call and see what they say. Apparently no one is able to get the frame to match the slide like Colt did. I did order a c3 to satisfy my need for now. Figured an officer frame and a commander slide would satiate me.

I had a bobtailed Harrison/Springfield 5".  Loved it.

The only reason that I sold it was that it wasn't a 4.25" commander.

Right now, if I ever get back into the 1911 game, the only production gun I would get would be a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm.

Otherwise, custom built.

Edited by TN-popo

I'm to much of a purest to have such a modification done on a Colt LWC, particularly a 1970's model but to each their own. As to the finish, the Colt Custom Shop creates miracles, at a price of course.

Kinda what I was thinking.

BTW... Loved the bobtailed DW I had so much that I tailed a couple pistols and later bought a Kimber Pro with their version.  They definitely feel good to me and at the end of the day that's what counts.  Before you whack your handle off, make sure that's the right one to do it to.