AR lengths?

Wyldk2

I don't want a pistol or carbine length barrel, but it seems that is all i can find.

I dont know what is the name of the longer barrell length and if it is available in a 300 Blackout.

Any help would be great. Since i have the funds now to finish my TGO build.

You might get some answers from this article ...

www.gunsamerica.com/blog/personality-quirks-300-aac-blackout

The subsonic nature of the round appears to dictate the best gas system length plus extra barrel length may not provide much better ballistics. But, there are a number of well versed sources. You might try posting your question in the M4carbine.com and AR15.com forums.
Your talking barrel length and not gas system length, correct? I don't think I've ever seen a .300 barrel longer than 16". I'm sure they're out there somewhere if nothing else as a custom option, but I did a bit of digging and a while back and never did see anything.

Dolomite will probably be here with better info shortly, but I was also wanting a .300 rifle and ended up going with a 16" barrel with a pistol length gas system. If you want your rifle to run through the gamut of suppressed/unsuppressed and sub and super sonic loads that's what I'd recommend along with an adjustable gas system.

Like I said though, Dolomite has done A LOT with this round and has tons of good posts here on it. If nothing else do a forum search for his content and wade through some of it for a few hours. You'll learn a lot.

Wilson does indeed make a 18" I've seen and held one ... but I concur with Tricky, Dolomite has a ton of research and knowledge around the round.  173ABN has as well.. he makes all of mine and all I know is they go bang ;o)  I've only had 8.5, 9.5 and now run a 10.5 with an adjustable GB.  I've had these as well as 13.7s and several 16"s come through .. nothing longer in my experience than the 18 but sure custom can be whatever you want.  All I've seen have been pistol length gas ports... I highly expect though after x inches you're not getting much anything out of the length but aesthetics.  Like me, I'd prefer the 18" if I had to go title 1 but I can also do SBRs a lot easier than most of you folks... like I may just make one this afternoon for sh*ts and giggles ;o)

• Like 2

I really have no need for a pistol and i already have a carbine in a 5.56 AR-15. I want something in a rifle length( barrel).

Gas system i don't have an idea as to what length but if Dolomite can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks to all who have added info as well. I got my lower built on my own, just going to work on the upper some while i have some free time.

Also, any Ideas as to the best place to get the best price on a good BCG and charging handle. Also if anyone knows a less expensive place online to find Magpul furniture, please chime in.

I put a PSA BCG and charging handle in my last build.  I have no complaints so far.  I don't get all excited about extended or tactical charging handles; I don't see the advantage.  They run them on sale pretty often, and it seems to get the job done.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-with-7075-charging-handle.html

I also bought a Magpul lower build kit from them on sale a while back.  Never was a Magpul fan boy, but I have become rather fond of this stuff I used on my last build. 

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-with-7075-charging-handle.html

I bought a .223 Wylde barrel from these folks.  They have some blackout barrels, but I don't see anything longer than 16".  I have been happy with the barrel I got from them.  It is a cheaper barrel, but it seems to be pretty accurate so far. 

http://www.customar15.net/product-category/ar-15-upper-receivers/

Edited by dats82

So in other words would 5.56 be better than a 300 Blackout?

I don't reload ...yet, I was contemplating getting into the reloading hobby but i realized i have too many hobbies as it is. I just buy ammo and save the used cartriges for trade or family who reloads.

Suppressor is feasable in the near future, I really don't know but leaving that up in the air.

I planned on hunting with a 300 blackout eventually, as i don't hunt but would like to have a different caliber for if/when i do decide to get into hunting. As a .22 cal bullet the .223 /5.56 is not meant as a "big game" round.

I basically want to turn my rifle into a "sniper"/ longer distance rifle. If and when the SHTF, i want to be able to eliminate any threats from a long awful way off. And still be able to use a different upper should I choose.

The only downside to the 300 IS the cost of shelf ammo... most do reload themselves and/or shoot very little... if you want cheap, 5.56 is better.. I'd even say it's better to reach out farther ... but if you want hunting, suppressor, etc. down the road then 300 hands down... it's next to impossible to get 5.56 subsonic ammo to cycle an AR gasser... 300 on the other hand, piece of cake...  then there's the bullet weight itself.. I'd much rather punch something with a 208 or 220 gr 300 than a 55-75gr 5.56 .. I love the round, cost in my mind is the 300's primary achiles heel.

• Like 1
I've never heard of any one choosing 300bo for long distance shooting. But perhaps things have evolved since I looked at the cartridge. It seems a big heavy bullet with limited case capacity aren't conducive to high velocities. I ended up going with 6.8 for lethality on medium game out to 300 yards or so.

So in other words would 5.56 be better than a 300 Blackout?

I don't reload ...yet, I was contemplating getting into the reloading hobby but i realized i have too many hobbies as it is. I just buy ammo and save the used cartriges for trade or family who reloads.

Suppressor is feasable in the near future, I really don't know but leaving that up in the air.

I planned on hunting with a 300 blackout eventually, as i don't hunt but would like to have a different caliber for if/when i do decide to get into hunting. As a .22 cal bullet the .223 /5.56 is not meant as a "big game" round.

I basically want to turn my rifle into a "sniper"/ longer distance rifle. If and when the SHTF, i want to be able to eliminate any threats from a long awful way off. And still be able to use a different upper should I choose.

I've never heard of any one choosing 300bo for long distance shooting. But perhaps things have evolved since I looked at the cartridge. It seems a big heavy bullet with limited case capacity aren't conducive to high velocities. I ended up going with 6.8 for lethality on medium game out to 300 yards or so.

The 300 Blackout is effective as a 308 Winchester minus 275 yards. That is if a 155 grain SMK out of a 308 Winchester is considered "effective" to 1,000 yards then the same bullet in the 300 Blackout will be effective to 725 yards. The velocity of the 300 Blackout at the muzzle is equal to the 308 Winchester after 275 yards. So the 300 Blackout is an effective long range caliber, just depends on what someone considers long range. One also needs to take into consideration the type of bullet they use. Traditional hunting bullets may not have enough energy to expand out of the 300 Blackout.

As far as lethality I tell people the 300 Blackout is equal to a 30-30 as far as hunting goes. 200 yards is about max for the 300 Blackout which makes it well suited to east Tennessee.

The 300 Blackout does two things very well. It shoots lightweight bullets really well and heavy, silenced subsonic bullets really well.

What kind of drop are you looking at at 200 with typical hunting loads? With the 6.8 I'm zeroed at 50 and 200, so at 100 I'm just a bit high.

American 30 seems like a good idea if bhw can get other manufacturers involved and get factory ammo available. I've heard it's just a couple hundred fps slower than 308.

Like me, I'd prefer the 18" if I had to go title 1 but I can also do SBRs a lot easier than most of you folks... like I may just make one this afternoon for sh*ts and giggles ;o)

Hmmm.... Where is that dislike button when you need it? That sentence was just rude...😎

You guys just won't quiet down about the 300... You are going to make me sell some stuff to build one...
  • Like 1

I already have one 5.56, do I really need another?

I may get into reloading one day, just right now i have to finish this build and decide what stuff i need in order to reload.

Is the 5.56 feasable in a longer distance "sniper" rifle?

I was told that the 5.56 is a good all around caliber but it lacks the lethality of being able to punch a large hole thru an object. In other words, whatever I shoot with this I don't want it getting up again. Hence, I chose the 300 blackout.

I have magazines already set aside for use with 300 blackout, and the real trick is finding ammo.

You can load for pretty cheap. You can pick up brass for a little over a dime a piece, same for the bullets, a pound of powder will last you over 400 rounds if you load supersonic and primers are like 4 cents each. You can buy a cheap press for under $40 and a set of dies for under $30. Then a scale to measure out the powder and a way to pour it into the case.

It would be under $120 for a bare bones setup to load ammo . Now it won't be fast at all but it is possible.

Personally the 5.56 is a 300 yard MAX cartridge. Yes you can tweak it with the various bullets to make it more lethal within that range but I believe the range is still the same. Now if all you want to do is punch holes in something then the range is much longer. As far as punching through hard things that is dependent on range. One of the hardest calibers to defeat at point blank range is the 5.56. I have steel plates that have stopped all kinds of calibers including 308 and 7.62x39 yet 5.56 punches right though it.

• Admin Team

I originally moved to the 300 Blackout platform to shoot heavy and slow.  And while it is great at that, I've got a 338 Spectre that excels in that category with a bigger hole and a heavier 300 grain bullet at the same velocity.  So, I've been working with the 300 Blackout on the other end of the spectrum, and I'd argue it's highly underrated for shooting lightweight bullets fast.  Loading 110gr bullets at supersonic velocities (~2350fps) have given excellent results.  Sure, it's not going to be as quiet, but it's pretty much become my go to hog round. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...