Where to buy 4-wheeler tires?

jeff43

Not sure on that part of it. I bought mine along with new rims so they were already mounted. With a couple of bars you can do them yourself pretty easily. It isn't as hard as you may think. There is no balancing or anything that needs to be done. I have changed tires myself on other atv's without issue. Edited by Hozzie

You can get wal-mart to mount them for around $10 a tire( maybe less).

I would also look at www.mudthrowers.com

or www.atvoutfitters.com

www.atvoutfitters.net

Either of the sites above.

I got mine at the mudthrowers site, only because they sponsor another forum I'm a part of. Had them within 3 days of my ordering them.

Edited by Wyldk2

Ever try using a ratchet strap or a winch cable? I've seen it done before with tire irons out on the trails. Some guy evenused gas and a lighter( would not recommend it unless no other alternative) to blow the bead back on the rim.

I thought I'd try one so I had my truck pulled up on it and beat the sh!t out of it with a bf tire hammer. changing auto tires ain't no thing but atv tires suck, period

I'm definitely a diy'er and have changed many tires but after trying the one I just carried em to Wilson Farmers Coop. they removed the old ones and mounted the new for seriously like $20. In about 15 mins. Aint no way I would screw with them for that. .

I think bought them from rockymountainatv

ATV tires are pretty easy since they have such a big soft sidewall.  Buy yourself some tire spoons.  You can get a good set for $30 and they are well worth the money.  I started changing my own tires on my motorcycles years ago, had a shop that would do it for $15 a wheel off the bike, they doubled their prices and I bought a set of spoons for $30 and have been doing it myself every since.  I buy most of my tires online, seems that the prices fluctuate often so I check all the retailers that I normally do business with and Amazon.   As far as breaking the bead I have a couple of things I've rednecked up that work well.  The best is a scissor type car jack.  I prop the wheel up on some 2x4 scraps under the bumper of my truck, set the jack on the edge of the tire right at the rim and extend the jack, I chuck it into my cordless drill to make it faster.  Don't even try to mount tires that aren't warm, you can set them out on a sunny day, lay them on top of a warm engine and shut the hood for about 20 minutes, I've even put them in the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.  Once you start to mount them up use lots of lube, I use dish soap.  I have a tradition of throwing the old tire as far away from my work area as possible because it really sucks to not be paying attention and put your old tire back on.   It will be a pain in the butt the first couple of times that you do it but once you get it figured out it's a piece of cake.

• Like 2

ATV tires are pretty easy since they have such a big soft sidewall.  Buy yourself some tire spoons.  You can get a good set for $30 and they are well worth the money.  I started changing my own tires on my motorcycles years ago, had a shop that would do it for $15 a wheel off the bike, they doubled their prices and I bought a set of spoons for $30 and have been doing it myself every since.  I buy most of my tires online, seems that the prices fluctuate often so I check all the retailers that I normally do business with and Amazon.   As far as breaking the bead I have a couple of things I've rednecked up that work well.  The best is a scissor type car jack.  I prop the wheel up on some 2x4 scraps under the bumper of my truck, set the jack on the edge of the tire right at the rim and extend the jack, I chuck it into my cordless drill to make it faster.  Don't even try to mount tires that aren't warm, you can set them out on a sunny day, lay them on top of a warm engine and shut the hood for about 20 minutes, I've even put them in the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.  Once you start to mount them up use lots of lube, I use dish soap.  I have a tradition of throwing the old tire as far away from my work area as possible because it really sucks to not be paying attention and put your old tire back on.   It will be a pain in the butt the first couple of times that you do it but once you get it figured out it's a piece of cake.

This.

Proper tools, lube, and warm tires make it easy.  If you're sweating and cussing, you're doing something wrong. 

Another, cruder method that I've used to break beads...

Get a 2x6 that's say 6 feet long or better and a 2x4 that's about 2 feet shorter.  Put them even with each other and put 1 3" nail at the end to kind of loosely hold them together.  Lay your wheel on the 2x6 and rest the 2x4 right on the bead.  get in your car and drive up the "ramp."  It's crude but this was the first method I used to successfully break beads and it worked.  

I have also used a dirtbike with a kickstand.  Just put the edge of the kickstand against the bead and pull the bike down on it with as much force as possible.  This will only work well with bikes that have a lot of ground clearance, otherwise the motorcycle will be apt to fall down in the opposite direction.  I've also found that if the bead wont break putting a very small amount of air in the tire and putting the valve stem back in will sometimes do the trick.  That's my experience with tubed tires anyway, don't see that it would help much on a tubeless set up.

Edited by 10-Ring

A simple google search for tire bead breaker will yield all manner of method to bread beads.  If you're replacing worn out tires, I see no sense in wasting time with stubborn tires, just cut them off and be done with it.  I got my bead breaker from JC Whitney for about $75 years ago, but it appears they don't sell it anymore. 

43349.gif

A simple google search for tire bead breaker will yield all manner of method to bread beads.  If you're replacing worn out tires, I see no sense in wasting time with stubborn tires, just cut them off and be done with it.  I got my bead breaker from JC Whitney for about $75 years ago, but it appears they don't sell it anymore. 

43349.gif

Harbor Freight has it, http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

I take mine to the auto craft place on post so don't need this for big tires, but it would be handy to have for farm use or those that don't have access to craft places.