Which 380?

jphillips63

I bought a Walther ppk interarms ss to pocket carry in the summer time because I sweat alot when out working. I pocket carry a .32 Seecamp most places now, but would like to have a .380 Seecamp to pocket carry.

I just sold my LCP, and although I enjoyed it.. I hate how much .380 costs.

Same reason I sold my Bersa Thunder Plus- 15 rounds of .380 goodness...I enjoyed shooting it recreationally and I don't reload. Edited by Gotthegoods

For the price and the purpose, the Bodyguard 380 (pre-M&P version) does it for me.  I like a long trigger and a manual safety in a pocket firearm.  

For whatever reason, I have no trouble putting the shots where they need to be - even at speed, so the trigger just doesn't bother me.  YMMV.

As an instructor and veteran collector / shooter / gunsmith for over 30 years, I have owned, shot, and worked on every gun in this thread plus many others. And I've helped fit hundreds of folks with their defense guns.

My $0.02:

I refuse to have a manual safety on any carry or defensive gun. Works fine at the range and in training, but for many folks this is forgotten or cumbersome when adrenaline hits during a life or death situation, I know this from personal experience on several occasions. If you must have a manual safety then you better shoot and train with it several times per month, every month, many thousands of rounds to minimize the risk.

As far as size, any gun that is too thick, heavy, or difficult to conceal will be left at home at least some of the time, so pick a gun that you can always carry and fully conceal, even when you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt with no belt in 100 degree heat. A gun that is slightly uncomfortable to fire at the range is still way better than a more comfortable gun that is left at home when the crap hits the fan, and when adrenaline hits you won't notice a little trigger creep or few extra pounds of pressure.

With all that said, and for many many other reasons, a Ruger LCP is always with me. I sometimes also have other arms, but the LCP is attached just like my wallet, keys, and kidneys. And I highly recommend the CTC laser which automatically turns on when you grip the gun. It's perfect for defense use, at defense distances, and allows you to focus on the threat.
  • Like 3

if talking bigger stuff a Makarov is still one of my favorites.   Its half again as big as the pocket guns, but its gentle and super accurate.  Just look for the 380 versions... the 9x18 you either make your own or have to search high and low for ammo. 

• Like 1
Seems to me the two you are considering (Kimber micro vs Sig P238) are just variants of the Colt Mustang. Why not just go with the original? I've owned the Sig P238 (great gun) and the Micro Desert Eagle (also a great gun and very compact). I've also shot the bersa, khar seecamp and keltec .380's. But once I got my hands on a Colt Mustang Pocket lite, I'll never carry any other .380 again. Hands down the best .380 pistol ever made and well worth every penny I paid for it. Just my 2 cents, but if you can, shoot a colt before you pull the trigger on any other .380.
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team
I think I've owned just about every .380 made - pre and post the modern pocket rocket era. The P238 is a faithful update of the Mustang. That said, it's worth holding one and shooting it before you buy one. If it doesn't fit your hand, you're not going to be happy with it.

The Kimber isn't a bad little pistol, either. I don't know that it would find its way to the top of my list, though.

It's hard to argue with how the LCP just disappears in a pocket.

For me, when I go out to shoot .380, more often than not I reach for my old Sig P230. It's never once disappointed me.
  • Like 1

I have smaller hands so I like the smaller pistols. I had an original LCP and loved the gun but hated the trigger. Bought a P238 Blackwood and loved it. Shoot it recreationally, too. Just replaced the springs and it keeps on going. I bought a new LCP Pro, with red trigger, as an impulse buy when I felt the new trigger. It is very nice for what it is. My son has since convinced me to try a 9mm Shield and I love it. So now I have 1 too many small carry guns. Trouble is, I can't really choose. The P238 is the "tweener" so I might let it go but I love how it shoots and handles. 

I had a Kahr P380. I loved that little gun. It's my opinion that it is the best pocket .380 available. It's a a long very smooth DAO trigger, very much like a nice S&W revolver in DA. Long but very smooth, feels good but deliberate enough to act as the safety. Also it has all the functions of a full sized gun. By that I mean, it has a standard push button magazine release behind the trigger guard. It locks the slide back on the last round. It has an extractor. It has usable, decent sights, with better aftermarket options available. Just a great gun that weighs very little and can be used in your weak hand. I carried it weak side front pocket so the mini 1911 style single actions with a manual safety wouldn't work for me.

Another vote for the Kahr.  Best trigger in it's class, IMO.  It also has full-sized sights, and can be ordered with factory night-sights.

• Like 1

Seems to me the two you are considering (Kimber micro vs Sig P238) are just variants of the Colt Mustang. Why not just go with the original? I've owned the Sig P238 (great gun) and the Micro Desert Eagle (also a great gun and very compact). I've also shot the bersa, khar seecamp and keltec .380's. But once I got my hands on a Colt Mustang Pocket lite, I'll never carry any other .380 again. Hands down the best .380 pistol ever made and well worth every penny I paid for it. Just my 2 cents, but if you can, shoot a colt before you pull the trigger on any other .380.

Agreed.  I often forget to mention it because until recently it was a collector's item -- but sig did so well colt decided to start making them again...  as said try a few, see if one has some slight edge over the other for your personal tastes.

• Like 1
For a long time I was in search of the perfect “Micro”, but .380 was out of the question.

The Kahr MK40 is Shorter and thinner than either of those you mentioned, 5+1 or 6+1. Although it is heavier than either of those; it is high quality. Also available in a 9mm.

I also have a Shield in .40, but it is bigger; although it costs much less than the MK40.
Guest Dusty83

cant really go wrong with either 1. might wanna look at bersa products though, cheap and reliable. my o lady loves the bp9cc, its a pretty good and cheap gun to stick somewhere and not really have to worry about it. its also got a pretty sweet trigger for what it is.

EDIT: forgot, i understand its a 9mm and your looking for a 380. i also noticed some people kind of guiding you away from the 380 as i did but my reason was simply for the bp9cc. 

the 380 is a good round IF you have it full of lehi defence xtrme penetrator's they penetrate like fmj/ball but damage is much much better. heres a link

Edited by Dusty83

cant really go wrong with either 1. might wanna look at bersa products though, cheap and reliable. my o lady loves the bp9cc, its a pretty good and cheap gun to stick somewhere and not really have to worry about it. its also got a pretty sweet trigger for what it is.

EDIT: forgot, i understand its a 9mm and your looking for a 380. i also noticed some people kind of guiding you away from the 380 as i did but my reason was simply for the bp9cc. 

the 380 is a good round IF you have it full of lehi defence xtrme penetrator's they penetrate like fmj/ball but damage is much much better. heres a link

The Bersa BP series comes in 9mm, 40 and .380.  :usa:

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/files/EagleImportsCatalog.pdf