Tennessee Statutes (warning complaining involved)

none

Actually this is what the driving manual says to do.    Copied below.

You may turn from a side street or driveway into a shared center turn lane, stop, and wait for traffic to clear before merging into traffic in the lane immediately to your right. Make sure the lane is clear in both directions and then turn into the lane only when it is safe. Be sure to give the proper signal while waiting to move into the right lane and also when moving out of the turn lane back into the right lane of traffic

This, times a million. That's EXACTLY how a center lane is supposed to be used when entering a traffic flow.

Guest Toothpick!

Actually this is what the driving manual says to do. Copied below.

You may turn from a side street or driveway into a shared center turn lane, stop, and wait for traffic to clear before merging into traffic in the lane immediately to your right. Make sure the lane is clear in both directions and then turn into the lane only when it is safe. Be sure to give the proper signal while waiting to move into the right lane and also when moving out of the turn lane back into the right lane of traffic

Well son of a gun!
Guess I owe a whole lotta drivers an apology for name calling as I speed by them.

One time I was directing traffic at a very complicated intersection when I saw an old man toddling out into the intersection on the green light. He only got about twenty feet into the crosswalk when a guy in a big Lincoln stopped in front of him, completely blocking the crosswalk. The old gent, walking with a lot of visible pain, left the crosswalk to walk around the front of the Lincoln, and when he got about dead center to its hood, he turned to face the driver and started beating the living hell out of the Lincoln's hood with his cane. Bystanders cheered the old man and engaged in wholesale flippoffery towards the Lincoln driver. What did I do about it? Well, I figured that if the old man smacked that Lincoln thirty or forty more times I might just have to ask him to quit, but he quit on his own and toddled off. The light changed and I never saw the Lincoln or the old guy again. Made me proud to be an American.

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 6

Ahh the center lane. Never have I seen so much use for it until I moved to Tennessee.

What gets me is people pull in to it then stop, put their blinker on and wait until they can merge. If you're going to pull in to it then pick up speed and actually merge because you can bet your butt that NO ONE is going to switch lanes to let you pull out. No. One.

I remember when I first moved here it took some getting used to. It's basically a 5th lane of traffic.

This is actually a correct and legal use of the lane. There is a maximum travel rule (traveling in the turning lane is dangerous anyway).

Of course, then there are the people that come to a near-stop before entering the turning lane. Not sure what is going on in their minds.

Another traffic law i'm confused about is where should your vehicle be in relation that big fat white line at a light or stop sign. It's been a long time since I took my drivers test but I always assumed that line was where your FRONT bumper should be when stopped. Apparently many if not most drivers believe that line is for anywhere between your rear tires and 4 feet behind your REAR bumper. :screwy:

The best bit about the rear-bumper people is that many lights are sensor lights so there's a good chance they won't change for you.

You ain't seen nothin' 'til you've driven in western Washington. That's the first place I ever saw people stop at the end of an Interstate on ramp and wait for an opening. And the place gets rain an average of 365 days/year. You'd think they would have figured out how to drive in the stuff by now, but you'd be wrong.Of course nothing beats driving in Korea.

Ok have to say driving in Germany tops it for me. Close second South Dakota

Also that hidden book has special parking rules as well if you drive hummers.

98f39603-276f-4cd8-bd80-0006d58b3228.jpg

IMG_20150417_082848.jpg

This picture is only to show there was other good parking places that the hummer could fit in.

Also note, i was only there about 10 minutes at the most, I pulled in, parked, it wasn't there.  About 10 minutes later as I walk out, it is there.

Edited by vontar

Germany? Seriously? It's perhaps the only country in the world where EVERYONE knows how to drive properly.

EXACTLY that's why I said it. South Dakota small population base and higher than average speed limits the interstate.

EXACTLY that's why I said it. South Dakota small population base and higher than average speed limits the interstate.

ah. Lost in translation. The prior posts had been naming places with crazy drivers. I thought you were saying Germany was the top of your list of crazy drivers.