Help me with my fence!

So my house finally hits the market next week. One of the last few things I have to take care of on the outside of the house is one missing rail from the fence in the front yard. I'm having a VERY hard time finding out EXACTLY what kind of fence this is so I can find one stinking rail. Everywhere I go, they want to call it split rail. However it is not regular split rail. I know the style is split rail, but one side of the rail is rounded, the other side is flat. It is not regular round rail either...tried that route too. A local fence wholesaler didnt even have it. He did tell me it looked like pine though, i thought it was cedar. Hopefully somebody here can give me some input. Please check out the pictures closely.
869c70a123e99fde93ad846750772385.jpg

5f2081cc99ebcd1355fc14fb019e506c.jpg

d623b33a410278bedbc93197749bef68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have thought of it several times, but it just seems pointless for one rail. If I needed a decent amount more than I do then I would call a fencing company to come out and fix it

Sorry, if this is dumb question, but...

Don't those rails have to go in place before you set the posts?

If so, I hope your posts aren't cemented into the ground...otherwise how are you going to get a new rail in place?

• Like 1

why not just get rid of the fence?

Im starting to think this is the most feasible option at this point. I have several other things to do before we go on the market other than trying to find ONE rail.

Or steal a rail from the end section and remove the last post. Take out one section instead of the whole fence.

Hmm this may work, if I decide to not remove it completely. Thanks for the idea!

Ive been at Lowes more than my own house these last 4 months, so to answer your question yes, I have been to lowes. Ive seen the rail you linked to and it is not one like mine. Ive come to find that Lowes' website pictures suck really bad. That rail has different ends on it than mine, and does not come in the correct length. Thanks for the help anyway!

That looks like the exact part

Again, this rail is close, but the rails on my fence are flat on one side. Half round. I have seen every rail they sell at lowes, they dont have it. I understand I can make something work in its place. I was just trying to find an exact match to minimize my time spent on it. At this point I'm going to give monkeylizard's idea a try, by stealing a section from the end to use to repair the middle section. If that doesnt work out well then I guess I will rig something up or just tear it down. Thanks for the suggestions!

From what the OP has said without knowing where the original fence kit used came from or if its still available he has a problem. Yes a long enough rounded rail can be fitted but he would prefer a drop in part. I can't fault him for that but can say a sawzall works faster then an adze or chisel.
  • Like 1