Weekend Trips

none

Being new to Tn just past the year mark. Much of last year was taken up by getting settled in. Not much time for fun.

So after recent events I have begun to think about what is really important Family. On our drive down here there appeared to be a old west style amusement attraction near southern Kentucky it was right off 65.

Growing up in Michigan we had a place called Stage coach stop. Kind of corny but fun for children.

My son just turned 11 so I was wondering what there might be to do within 3 or so hours drive?

The idea of visiting the East side of the state sounds like fun but all that traffic not so much.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The idea of visiting the East side of the state sounds like fun but all that traffic not so much.

If you mean Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, it's only bad Fri-Sun.  If you can plan a Mon-Thur trip, it's decent. :2cents:

I would wait until the Fall when the weather is cooler, but you might want to put Shiloh on your list if you've never been.   There is a lot of Civil War stuff in TN if you like that sort of thing.    It's always good to learn about our Civil War history.  

My parents took me when I was around that age.  I specifically recall the eeriness to this day when we were at the Bloody Pond.  We took our kids about that age as well.  

http://www.nps.gov/shil/index.htm

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 1

If you mean Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, it's only bad Fri-Sun.  If you can plan a Mon-Thur trip, it's decent. :2cents:

Yes that's exactly what I was getting at. We could do a mid week thing. Is it still only 30mph on the road in?

Thanks

I would wait until the Fall when the weather is cooler, but you might want to put Shiloh on your list if you've never been.   There is a lot of Civil War stuff in TN if you like that sort of thing.    It's always good to learn about our Civil War history.  

My parents took me when I was around that age.  I specifically recall the eeriness to this day when we were at the Bloody Pond.  We took our kids about that age as well.  

http://www.nps.gov/shil/index.htm

Is it near West Tn?

Thanks
Sort of, between middle and west TN almost to the MS line.

Just noticed that they are doing a special event on June 27 & 28. Live cannon firing and encampment renactments. Info is on the website link.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk Edited by Trekbike

Yes that's exactly what I was getting at. We could do a mid week thing. Is it still only 30mph on the road in?

Thanks

Weekdays you might go 35, if you avoid the LEOs. Weekends maybe 35 on the more open stretches. If more than 2 stores/attractions side by side...more like 10.

At least our experience on the last trip there.

Thanks

45 once you get off I-40 then slows to 35 thru the construction (between Douglas Dam Rd and Boyds Creek Hwy)) then back to 45 then down to 35 by Zaxby's.

Road construction is way behind schedule.  They were suppose to have it done last October.  Last I heard it should be done by Sept. :squint:

Construction at exit 407 is supposed to be done by June 30th. :rolleyes:

Have you visited The Hermitage in... uh... Hermitage yet? The Belle Meade Mansion and plantation is nice as well. Down in Murfreesboro is the Stones River Battlefield and a little museum. That one was free, I believe.

These aren't necessarily weekend expeditions, but you could easily spend most of a day at The Hermitage, and the others I mentioned are good for at least a few hours.

I moved to TN in 2001 for college, and got married and settled in Rutherford county. Just in the last couple years wifey and I have tried to find the smaller, local historic sites and it's been a lot of fun! I'm sure Williamson county has a lot to offer as well.

Enjoy!

Gray TN has a neat fossil museum and if the timing is right you can watch an active dig. Not worth the trip all by itself but added to other things it might be worth considering for an 11 year old. I think they may have some youth activities also,we had no youth with us so I didn't really pay much attention.

[quote name="79troublehead" post="1277727" timestamp="1434399240"]Memphis is nice.

Ah I have been to Memphis for work. So no its not my idea of a family get away destination.

I. Am sure Graceland is cool and such but no thanks
Don't waste money on the tasting tour at JD, they only give you like 3 separate types, each about 1/10 of a shot.

Go check out George dickel if you go there, it's about 20 minutes away and more interesting imho

In chattanooga you got Lake Winnepesaukah

http://www.lakewinnie.com

this and sir goony's  beat the heck out of all the tourist trap garbage IMHO.    Let me think on it... pay $20 a person to look at some ROCKS or a WATERFALL or.... spend a day riding go-carts or doing paintball or playing skee-ball?  

Edited by Jonnin

this and sir goony's  beat the heck out of all the tourist trap garbage IMHO.    Let me think on it... pay $20 a person to look at some ROCKS or a WATERFALL or.... spend a day riding go-carts or doing paintball or playing skee-ball?

Right! Anybody what don't like go karts and skeeball is a gotdang communist.

Dixie Gunworks and several other places to go see up in Union City as well. There is also a big Air Show in Halls, TN should be coming up pretty soon. I am sure some of the guys on here already know the date. This State is really rich in day trip things to do that you could turn into a w/e if you string a couple together.

There's lots to do.... what's your family's version of fun?

Gray TN has a neat fossil museum and if the timing is right you can watch an active dig. Not worth the trip all by itself but added to other things it might be worth considering for an 11 year old. I think they may have some youth activities also,we had no youth with us so I didn't really pay much attention.

Yep, my wife worked there before they built the museum.  She found the saber toothed cat tooth (among a few other things).  Bays Mtn. Park is nearby and has some interesting stuff as well. 

There's lots to do.... what's your family's version of fun?

Yep, my wife worked there before they built the museum.  She found the saber toothed cat tooth (among a few other things).  Bays Mtn. Park is nearby and has some interesting stuff as well.

Fun.......No Go phone. In the past we have really enjoyed such things as the Living History Farms in Iowa. Wisconsin Dells and water parks. Also before our son was born we went to the Smokey mountains there was a place there called Hillbilly Golf that was fun.

We also enjoy the corny comedy and dinner shows. Really we just want to get away where there is not a lot of traffic and fun family friendly activities.
The "not a lot of traffic" part is going to be tough. It's summer, lots of people are out doing stuff. You'll need to hit some of the more out-of-the-way places or go during the week.

You might like the Museum of Appalachia near Clinton. Museum of Science and Industry and the Children's museum in Oak Ridge. Knoxville zoo, Smokies baseball, ....

In Chattanooga there's the Aquarium, IMAX, Creative Discovery Museum, Ruby Falls, Incline Railway, Railroad museum, Lookouts baseball, ... Edited by peejman