thoughts on Surefire's IntelliBeam Technology

I got this interesting story from Shooting Illustrated this morning. Surefire's newest model of the Fury flashlight now comes with proprietary IntelliBeam Technology. Looks like it'd be pretty handy for some situations, like a work light. Not sure how I feel about it defaulting to the Intellibeam mode, but you judge for yourself. Here's a video:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1iVzVYtyTs[/media]

• Admin Team

While I wouldn't necessarily want to use this on one of my weapon lights, it's a brilliant idea.

Adding a microprocessor and a sensor to adapt the light to the setting is a great way to conserve battery and make a light better suited to a wide range of applications.  I wouldn't hesitate to pick one of these up for walking around the neighborhood.

• Like 1

I don't for a second believe the claim that it won't affect your night vision. It's white light. Even when it's "dim" it's pretty bright. That's going to affect your night vision. But, I do like the idea. The part where the guy is looking at the paper is a perfect example of where most flashlights are just too bright.

Seems good for walking around, camping, and other stuff if the technology works as advertised.  For a weapon light, I want to see what it does to a person on the other end of the light.  My personal battle drills emphasize light discipline, and having the ability to shine an approximate assload of lumen's in a split second to disorientate my target is something I want to keep for home defense. 

It's be great for a general use light but not for a weapon light or a self defense light.

One of the things I HATE HATE HATE about Streamlight is their button interface goes HIGH-STROBE-LOW. And for a pocket light the size of a Surefire Backup, strobe is NOT a primary function. I use mine more as a utility light than self defense and I use low a lot. If I could disable strobe I would, it's not a useful feature to me.

If the technology works as advertised, I'd think it'd make for a good SD flashlight, especially indoors. Backwash against white walls seems like a worse problem than only seeing a bad guy and not also blinding him, but I don't know. I've never been in a situation where I had a bright enough light for it to matter.

Also, I don't have so much time invested in flashlight training that I couldn't train myself to double-click a button instead of single-clicking it in an emergency. I've never used a weapons mounted light, so I don't know if double-clicking a remote button is any harder or even possible, so I can't comment on that one.

It's be great for a general use light but not for a weapon light or a self defense light.

One of the things I HATE HATE HATE about Streamlight is their button interface goes HIGH-STROBE-LOW. And for a pocket light the size of a Surefire Backup, strobe is NOT a primary function. I use mine more as a utility light than self defense and I use low a lot. If I could disable strobe I would, it's not a useful feature to me.

Maybe it's just me, but I really dislike the strobe functions on most lights. And as you say, the position in the rotation can be irritating as well.

Maybe it's just me, but I really dislike the strobe functions on most lights. And as you say, the position in the rotation can be irritating as well.

That's why I love my Fenix. The strobe is activated by holding down the cycle button. It doesn't come into play while going through low-low medium-medium-medium high-burn your retinas out.

• Like 1

That's why I love my Fenix. The strobe is activated by holding down the cycle button. It doesn't come into play while going through low-low medium-medium-medium high-burn your retinas out.

Thanks. I'll give it a look. It's about time to replace/add to the lights around the house.

Thanks. I'll give it a look. It's about time to replace/add to the lights around the house.

Fenix makes a good light, I have one or two of them. Depending on what size you're looking for, take a look at Streamlight. I've been really impressed with their Microstream. It's become my general purpose light and it only runs off of 1 AAA. They also have a new one that also runs off 1 AAA but it's 70 lumens high, 5 low, and has a strobe feature you can deactivate.

Fenix makes a good light, I have one or two of them. Depending on what size you're looking for, take a look at Streamlight. I've been really impressed with their Microstream. It's become my general purpose light and it only runs off of 1 AAA. They also have a new one that also runs off 1 AAA but it's 70 lumens high, 5 low, and has a strobe feature you can deactivate.

Thanks for the advice. I like high power beams for backyard/ around house use. I've had several off brands of various sizes and strengths, and have found I like the 400/500 lumen beams.

Yes, it sucks up the power, but I can see around the outside and 100 feet well enough to feel safe that I can see the area.

I really like some of the rechargeable lights in the 500,000 to 1,000,000 candlepower range. but haven't found any good ones in a few years. Of coure I really haven't done a full area and internet search either.

MSRP on the Streamlight P2X Fury is $155. The auto adjust sounds nice, but not for that price. There's no reason to pay that much for a flashlight anymore. Maybe 10 years ago... but not today.

Technology has advanced to the point that you can get a good LED flashlight for less than $20. The Convoy M1 costs only $20. https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1212400-convoy-m1-cree-xm-l-u2-1b-2-group-35-mode-900lm-le

The strobe mode can be switched off. It has a low, med, and hi modes of 5%, 40%, and 100%.  It lights up my driveway enough to tell "deer or dog" at my mailbox 120 yards away. I walk at night with the Convoy S2 with the same LED bulb. It's a floody... the same power with a wider diffused beam. 

My keychain light is a ThruNite Ti with a 3.7v 14650 battery instead of a AAA. It puts out an amazing amount of light on high for such a small light. Cost was $20 or so. There is an LED flashlight forum that discusses flashlights and reviews them at www.budgetlightforum.com