Lost a friend this week

45guy

Very sad today to find out a buddy of mine died this week. I met Craig at the gym we work out at. We had a lot in common. Guns and politics. He always had a new joke or two to make me laugh. This was a guy you would want looking after your six in a tough spot.
"Craig Edward "Odie" Terry, USA, Retired, of Bluff City, Tenn., went to his heavenly home on Wednesday, June 17, 2015, at the age of 53. Craig graduated from Sullivan East High School in 1979, East Tennessee State University in 1984 with a B.A in Criminal Justice, and Webster University, Pope Air Force Base, N.C. in 1997 with a M.A. in Security Management. Craig enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1982 and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant at ETSU in 1984. He led infantry and special operations soldiers globally as a military officer for over 23 years during peace and wartime. His most recent assignments were Chief, Training Division, Army Aviation School, Fort Rucker, Alabama, 2000-2002; The Battalion Commander, ARMY ROTC, East Tennessee State University 2002-2005; Craig initiated and served as the first Senior Army Instructor, Junior ROTC, Tennessee High School, 2005-2009. He was presented the following Honors and Awards during his service: Honorable Order of Saint Michael, Army Aviation's Association of America, 2002; Honorable Order of Saint Maurice, National Infantry Association, 1999; Colonel, Aide-de-Camp, Governor, Phil Bredesen; Colonel, Aide-de-Camp, Governor Don Sundquist; U.S. Army Ranger Tab, Senior Parachutist Badge, Air Assault Badge, Drill Instructor Badge, and multiple ribbons and medals for military service. Craig was currently serving the community as Constable, 5th District, Sullivan County, Tennessee".
According to his wife he was tormented by his experiences in the military, particularly the brothers he lost in combat. She describes nightmares to the point of him not wanting to sleep. It reminded me of the sacrifices so many have made, even though they came home they are forever changed. His wife said “finally no more nightmares”. It took a gunshot to the head to get him the peace he was looking for.
I think of men and women that love this country so much that they would give it all even a life of torment. To think of those that would want to desecrate the same flag these folks died for and are dying for, well I understand not putting up with that. Edited by 45guy
PTSD is a very real thing but so misused and abused by attention seekers and media the people in direst needs either fall to the wayside or are so disgusted they refuse help. You and your friends family have my sincerest condolences.

Sorry to hear this 45. My SIL is a Baptist preacher and he had a church member who was a WWII vet commit suicide 2 weeks ago. I guess we don't fully understand the sacrifices that are military men and women make for us. We need to be praying for all of them. Be glad you were friends with such a man as this, good friends are hard to come by.

45guy, I am also saddened to hear of such a gut-wrenching loss.  Not in this way, but I lost my best friend rather quickly and prematurely about 15 years ago.  Even thinking about it right now takes my breath away.

Edited by R_Bert

We are losing more to suicide than to combat. It's time to end this senseless, endless, mindless, stupid ass war and bring our boys home. Damn, I'm sorry to hear about this and the other 21 that took their lives that same day. I hope his family and friends can find peace somehow.

Sorry about your loss brother. It is an unfortunate thing...even here in 5th Group and 1-101BCT we have lots of soldiers...everyonw from PV1s to SF guys with 6 tours to LTCs seeking help for suicidal thoughts.

I lost a fellow EOD student to suicide as well as others I knew of during my time with the EOD TNG DTC, 7th SFG and here on Campbell.

Its a damn tragedy, and the media and attention seekers pander it to the point that it loses its gravity

The pain will never go away, but you him great honor by carrying on his story.

Vaya con dios, hermano.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk