It's time to build a lower

broox

I think that anybody who plans on playing around with ARs should just go ahead and buy a couple of these "OH-SH*T" spare part packets.

xlw4r9.jpg

I keep one in my vehicle and another one feeds into my bench stock.

I guarantee that if you don't have these spares, you'll be posting on this forum late at night asking if anybody has extras! :ugh:

What are those little black pins with a half oval removed for? On the bottom in the middle Edited by broox

What are those little black pins with a half oval removed for? On the bottom in the middle

Not pin, ejector (for the bolt).

Usually see that (and the rings) in bolt repair kit rather than general one. And no extractor in that kit either.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I could have used some spare parts last build I helped a buddy with. We were installing a Magpul PRS and it just didn't wanna go that last inch onto the buffer tube. I turned around to get a tool and he started twisting and pushing at the same time and nearly sheared off his takedown detent spring. Luckily it only deformed it and we were able to flip it around the other direction until he got a replacement pin.

I second Oh Shoot with the plastic bag!

I was crawling around on the kitchen floor for 30 minutes looking for that stupid detent pin a couple of weeks ago.

I had just given up and laid down in the middle of the floor quite angry. Then I turn my head and see it right beside me. Lol. Talk about luck.

Don't you hate it when somebody says "you always find it in the last place you look"?

• Like 1

Not pin, ejector (for the bolt).

Usually see that (and the rings) in bolt repair kit rather than general one. And no extractor in that kit either.

- OS

Hmmm, I have never taken that apart. Is that common to need attention?

Hmmm, I have never taken that apart. Is that common to need attention?

Nah, generally just pull firing pin and bolt out of carrier and clean everything, leave extractor and ejector attached.

Extractor easy to take off if you want to though,  ejector not so much. Neither generally need an special attention unless they actually break.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

On both of them I have to slam the magazine home to get it to lock in place and sometimes still takes 2 tries to get it to seat right.

If you have to slam it in with no upper in place, doesn't sound right, should just "snick" in there with no effort at all to speak of. Threaded end of mag release should be a just bit less than flush with the surface of release button, but not sure it makes that much diff.

Of course with an upper on there, a fully loaded mag against a closed bolt will often need a firm whack though, and some mags are tougher than others because of less room below follower for the rounds to squeeze downward that little bit necessary. But an empty mag against closed bolt, or a full one with bolt locked back should go in pretty effortlessly also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Pmags. That's the only ar magazines I have.

They don't have much room below follower when fully loaded, so take a decent smack on closed bolt.

Should slip right in pert easy with bolt locked back, which is the way you'd reload normally if shooting to empty anyway.

Sounds like you don't really have a prob - sounded initially like you were talking about difficulty just inserting mags into a finished lower by itself.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Pmags. That's the only ar magazines I have.

t85gyq.jpg

Not to bash MAGPUL because I run a lot of their stuff, but PMAGs have been known to have issues in tight mag wells.  The newer M3s are slimmer seem to be better, but the older Gen 2 MOE PMAGs will sometimes stick and hang up.

See if you can find a USGI mag and give it a try.  

I think that anybody who plans on playing around with ARs should just go ahead and buy a couple of these "OH-SH*T" spare part packets.

xlw4r9.jpg

I keep one in my vehicle and another one feeds into my bench stock. 

I guarantee that if you don't have these spares, you'll be posting on this forum late at night asking if anybody has extras!   :ugh:

I've got quite a few spare parts sitting around but ordered one of these anyway. Few things in this one that I don't have sitting here. Thanks for posting this.