Alzheimer's is an evil S.O.B.!

That's my general feeling after listening to my dad play the same 3 songs on his harmonica. He has been playing continuously for the last 2 hours. As some of you know, I am in Florida caring for my dad. He is 89, and in the last year has fought lung cancer, pneumonia, and congestive heart failure. He is currently doing very well physically, mentally, not so much. It's tough being the grownup for your parent, hopefully my kids won't ever have to be my parent.

Yes, it is a very big SOB. I had to move my mother in with me to take care of her. It is extremely hard to watch a strong parent become the equivalent of a spoiled 6 yr old at times. My wife and I have to remind ourselves everyday that she is sick and can't help most of the things she does. I feel your pain brother hang in there.

I too have experience with my grandmother who suffered from both dementia and Alzheimer.  In the end no choice but to place her in a nursing home.  My only comfort, she had no concept of time.  Once she told me she was tired of this hospital and wanted to go home.  I asked her how long she had been there, she said good grief no more than 2 days, in reality she had been there for 9 mos. 

I deeply feel for anyone who is a care taker of their parent or grandparents, and thankfully you have the love to do so. 

Edited by Runco
Ill send prayers your way, it is a noble thing you're doing - probably one of the hardest things an average person would have to do.

As Bert mentioned, once he puts down that harmonica it'll get bad. My great grandmother, great aunt and grandfather all went down the same path. After a while they forget who you are and start panicking. They get lost in their house and are scared.

I do hope things work themselves out, stay strong.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
May I suggest two things. ,," memory lessons a doctors story" is a good book from a physician describing his dad's AD.
Second is a video series from Teepa Snow. I know she has some of her stuff on utube but she is quite insightful and gives a lot of tips on how to deal with the day to day things that drive you bonkers.
Make it three things. Find a local AD support group. It really does help having people close who can help you.
And yes, AD sucks. The first time my dad couldn't figure out how to put the extension between the socket and wrench I went inside and cried.
Good luck and cudos for taking care of him.
MH

It is a ruthlessly evil disease, even more so in its later stages when the constant crying begins. Do the best you can and provide the best care you can as well. Utilize home health care whenever possible and if necessary utilize a well researched nursing home where you can easily visit. 

I watched a friend go through this with her mother and it was heartbreaking. Her mother stayed at home pretty much until the end. It is the one disease I will not suffer very long with.

You are local to me so if you, or your family, need help with anything please feel free to ask.

• Like 1

I have no wish to detail my story on this; I'll just say that having gone thru it once was horrible.

Now another family member is going thru it.

As with Dolomite's inference, I think that I'd like to spare any of my family that situation. and hope that I'd be able to end it quickly.

My prayers for you.

Edited by hipower

Very sorry you are going through this and you can bet Prayers will be coming your way. I have a friend who's mother is going through it and surprising to him he learned from the Assisted Living facility she is in right near his home. He has learned that people who suffer with AD do have one thing that they have found that works at the facility. Jig Saw Puzzles. Many of the patients with AD at the facility actually enjoy working on Jig Saw Puzzles as it keeps their minds working. You might try that with your Dad. If he quits playing his mouth organ get him involved in a puzzle and work it with him. Maybe it will ease some of his frustration.

Prayers will come your way and thank you for taking care of your Dad. He may not seem to appreciate now but it will help you later knowing you are there for him now.

God Bless

My mother suffered from dementia for the last years of her life. We were separated by 750 miles so I only saw her once a year. The bad part was I couldn't have weekly phone calls with her because she wasn't able to hold a meaningful conversation. I gave up calling the last couple years and that hurt but the phone calls hurt worse.  i feel your pain.