Strange issue with my Remington 870

So I just pulled my 870 out of the closet to unload it for my upcomming move. When I tried to cycle the shells out I found none would feed. After looking closer I could see the spring wasn't working. It was jammed way up towards the back and the shells were just sliding around in the tube. 

I figured I was going to have to take it apart so I removed the ElZetta flashlight mount that I have on there.

The exact second I pulled the mount from the mag tub I hear this loud THUMP and felt the follower and spring go flying home as they should have.

Is it possible that the flashlight mount is so tight it was actually squeezing the tube and preventing the spring from moving? Or is this only a coincidence?

The gun is working fine now without the mount on there. It's going to be a real bummer if I can't keep the light on there.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like your theory of it being too tight and causing binding or blocking the follower is plausible. You might try putting the flashlight back on and tightening it down as it was and loading the magazine tube to see if the follower catches at the same point as you load it. If it does you might try attaching the flashlight mount with some thin rubber (old bike tire tube) as a "shim" to fill the gap, creating friction between the mount and tube, negating the need to tighten the mount down so tight. Just a thought. Let us know what you figure out.

I don't see what else it could be really, pretty simple gizmo and all.

I guess possibility the plastic follower has become misshapen a bit or swell with heat or something. Lots of folks recommend changing that to a metal one.

- OS

It's more than likely the mount. I have a .22 auto. tube fed and if I tighten the screw on the forearm too much it won't feed. And it doesn't take much to be too tight.

I have a crude one on my 870, and it's socked down at tight as I can get it, otherwise it shakes loose after a few rounds. But never had a prob. Of course, it's just polymer and not aluminum or steel either.

It also of course sits well above where the follower could get to, so could only possibly put force on part of the spring itself.

870-light.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The Elzetta mount is polymer as well. It's been on this gun for almost 5 years now and never caused a problem. Admittedly, the last time I shot this gun was up at Norris with you Mac. If you recall, we took it apart and had a hell of a time putting it back together. But it's been loaded/unloaded multiple times since I've been down in FL and this was the first time I've had an issue with the spring/follower. 

Once I get moved I'll put the mount back on there and take it out to the moose lodge with you to see if I can figure out what the issue is.

Its very probably.  Those tubes are so thin that when I put on an extension and tried to polish out the indents I made a small hole in the metal... its super thin, I was just using like rough steel wool to clean up where I had worked on it.  That was an 1100 but its the same tube I think?   Anyway, it does not take much sometimes.

The Elzetta mount is polymer as well. It's been on this gun for almost 5 years now and never caused a problem. Admittedly, the last time I shot this gun was up at Norris with you Mac. If you recall, we took it apart and had a hell of a time putting it back together. But it's been loaded/unloaded multiple times since I've been down in FL and this was the first time I've had an issue with the spring/follower. 

Once I get moved I'll put the mount back on there and take it out to the moose lodge with you to see if I can figure out what the issue is.

Will do.

It's possible follower was just "stuck" sitting for a long time as whatever oil/crud/tarnish in mag tube hardened, like a light glue. And that just handling/jarring it freed it, and really had nothing to do with the light mount at all, just happened to occur as you were messing with it.

Matter of fact, the more I think about it, I think that was likely the case. I bet you could have just thumped butt or smacked side of tube/barrel and it would have freed up without taking the light mount loose at all.

If the light mount were going to bind it, it would bind it immediately, and all the time, eh?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I could be some rust too. My 870 (cheap home defense model) is real bad about trying to rust if it's been out in the humidity. I figure you have plenty of humidity where you are. 

You'd be surprised at how much compression you can generate with a couple small screws. Good ole leverage at work. If it's got to be tight to stay put, you might try something like a single layer of electrical tape on the tube to give the mount a little more stiction.

I could be some rust too. My 870 (cheap home defense model) is real bad about trying to rust if it's been out in the humidity. I figure you have plenty of humidity where you are.

That's a good point. The finish on these 870's is pretty bad too.