Who would leave 478 pcs of Federal 10mm laying on the ground?

Guest BCR#1

Guest BCR#1

I go to the CRC this morning to pick up brass and it's one of my best days ever for pistol brass. around 13-1400 pcs with 478 being Federal 10mm. Either I didn't find the other 22 pcs or that person took them home. Over 100 pcs of .45acp and the rest a mixture of 9mm, 40 s&w, 357 Sig and 38/357.

Very little rifle brass though. Most will end up on Armslist after being cleaned/ polished this W/E.

Bill

Edited by BCR#1

I'm happy for you but advertising it ain't doing you no favors.  Broadcast an edible carcass and ALL the buzzards will show up.  The range may even see the value in it and put a stop to it all together.  Charlie Haffner got smart and if you didn't shoot it, you can't pick it up.  He sells it and makes a good little chunk of change from it.  I don't blame him at all.  I would do the same.

In a few words, ALWAYS keep a good thing under your hat.  Just my opinion which ain't worth much.

Edited by Caster
  • Like 6

A couple of years ago, I was shooting at another range in another state.  The club "brass rat" was there perched like a vulture waiting for the next piece of brass to hit the ground.  Rather that get cross with him as most members did, I said "Charlie, you should go out to Cavalier and scrounge brass.  They had a glock shoot there yesterday and the brass is ankle deep on every position".  I could see the pain in his eyes when he remembered that his membership at that club had been cancelled and he could not get in without a passcard and if he could, he would be arrested for trespass..  

Every time I saw him thereafter, i would invent some story about mountains of brass laying on the ground in areas he could not access.

Sadistic, maybe, but it felt good.

• Like 2
Guest BCR#1

I hope you at least have the courtesy to wait until everyone else has left.
Sent using wizardry.

Seeing that it was 6:30am this morning and only me and the critters were there, i would say I waited until everyone was gone.

I'm happy for you but advertising it ain't doing you no favors.  Broadcast an edible carcass and ALL the buzzards will show up.  The range may even see the value in it and put a stop to it all together.  Charlie Haffner got smart and if you didn't shoot it, you can't pick it up.  He sells it and makes a good little chunk of change from it.  I don't blame him at all.  I would do the same.

In a few words, ALWAYS keep a good thing under your hat.  Just my opinion which ain't worth much.

There is no "owner" of the CRC (Chattanooga Rifle Club) so no one can really lay claim to the brass other than the shooter. The club etiquette on brass is that you clean up after your self. Sweep nonreloadable .22/steel/aluminum off the pad and pick up reloadable brass. If you reload take it with you if you do not leave it on the bench or counter for someone who does.
  • Like 1

Yep, I will never speak a word of it but there is a reason why I no longer beg you for lead. I can get as much lead as often as I like now. Took me close to a year of handing out $10 bills even if there wasn't any lead in their buckets for them to realize I was serious. Funny part is after I handed out money for nearly empty buckets of lead I guess they had a change of heart because now it costs me nothing to stop in a grab a bucket or two. They also know I am actually using it and not just selling it like the guy who got two 55 gallon drums of scrap lead from them a week or so before I started getting lead from them. At this point I have more than enough lead to last me years.

• Like 1
There is a lot of new brass on the ground. And there is a lot of well used brass. I've walked off from hundreds of 10mm that had been cycled more times than I wanted to use. This is why I do not buy used brass from some sources. Most of my worn out to me brass ends up at a local indoor that sells to bulk buyer.

There is a lot of new brass on the ground. And there is a lot of well used brass. I've walked off from hundreds of 10mm that had been cycled more times than I wanted to use. This is why I do not buy used brass from some sources. Most of my worn out to me brass ends up at a local indoor that sells to bulk buyer.

How do you know of high usage on pistol brass?

Bottleneck cases I am leary of, straightwall cases, not so much.

Edited by TN Volunteer

There is no "owner" of the CRC (Chattanooga Rifle Club) so no one can really lay claim to the brass other than the shooter. The club etiquette on brass is that you clean up after your self. Sweep nonreloadable .22/steel/aluminum off the pad and pick up reloadable brass. If you reload take it with you if you do not leave it on the bench or counter for someone who does.

I shoot at CRC, I don't reload. Any other member is welcome to my used brass.

How do you know of high usage on pistol brass?

Bottleneck cases I am leary of, straightwall cases, not so much.

. Paper clip trick?
Agree, Most pistol brass I load light and shoot until I lose enough to not load that head stamp. If it will gauge, I am happy.
Pistol calibers meant to be loaded heavy, revolver magnum-h110, 10mm with long shot, 2400, #9 can exceed my comfort level after a fair amount of cycles. Nothing like a gas leak or brass left in chamber to wake ya up or piss ya off. hot 40s&w or fast 9mm loads start with known origin and brass cycles watched.
I load pistol and revolver calibers from .380 to 460 Rowland. this is a dangerous hobby. Like most others, I feel safer shooting my own than I do W white box or the Mexican eagle stuff. Unless I'm spilling brass out of my star line box, you are not picking up new brass. ;)