AR pistol opinions

FrankD

I have decided it Is finally time to step up my rifle game from my current rimfire only status and thought the AR would be a good choice given its flexibility down the road. I am going to be using it mainly for target/plinking but would be my home defense long gun over the shotguns. I am thinking of a 10.5" upper pistol build with a sig brace, and was wondering opinions on .300 vs .223.

Looking at this setup with either caliber.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical_Firearms_10_5_1_8_Quad_Rail_H_BAR_AR_Pist_p/rf10.5pistol300.htm
I've been SERIOUSLY considering a pistol build lately for several reasons.
Sounds retarded to build an AR15 pistol with a DMR goal but I think it has its place. Protected by our carry permits, they make for a very compact and formidable truck gun.

I'm still in the fence but I'm close to starting one.

I've been SERIOUSLY considering a pistol build lately for several reasons.
Sounds retarded to build an AR15 pistol with a DMR goal but I think it has its place. Protected by our carry permits, they make for a very compact and formidable truck gun.

I'm still in the fence but I'm close to starting one.

The thought has crossed my mind a few times lately as well. I hope I wouldn't need one stashed in the car or truck, but you never know.

I have decided it Is finally time to step up my rifle game from my current rimfire only status and thought the AR would be a good choice given its flexibility down the road. I am going to be using it mainly for target/plinking but would be my home defense long gun over the shotguns. I am thinking of a 10.5" upper pistol build with a sig brace, and was wondering opinions on .300 vs .223.

Looking at this setup with either caliber.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical_Firearms_10_5_1_8_Quad_Rail_H_BAR_AR_Pist_p/rf10.5pistol300.htm

I have that same barrel in 5.56 on my AR pistol. It has more than exceeded my expectations for a 10.5" barrel. Dolomite recommended this brand to me a year or more back and I'm glad he did. They're hard to beat for the money.

The main reason I built my AR pistol was to have a short barrelled .300 Blackout. The Blk is more efficient in short barrels than is the 5.56.

Eventually though, I will have a kit including a pistol lower, a .300 upper, a 5.56 upper and a .22 lr conversion. 300 will be the main upper, the .22 will stay in the 5.56 upper for small game. And if necessary, I can shoot 5.56 ammo as well.

.223 55gr soft point at 2600 fps or better ain't to be sneezed at, I don't think. And 30 rounds can be put on torso toot sweet from point blank to 100 yards.

My plain Jane pistol lives behind seat in car in a tennis racquet case should I need to tote it around gray man style.

ARpistol-2nd.jpg

ARpistolcase2.jpg

- OS

• Like 5
Thanx OS. I like that.

I dunno, cause I've never shot one but I think I'd like to use a single point sling snugged tight so i can push forward against it.

Two hands, a cheek weld & a single point sling should get you locked up tight enough for silhouette size hits at any reasonable yardage. Edited by Caster

Thanx OS. I like that.

I dunno, cause I've never shot one but I think I'd like to use a single point sling snugged tight so i can push forward against it.

Two hands, a cheek weld & a single point sling should get you locked up tight enough for silhouette size hits at any reasonable yardage.

I find cheek weld alone as third point of contact more than sufficient. I experimented pushing out on single point sling, found it to suck big time by comparison, not to mention speed of deploying the first shot too.

I have a "fancier" one with brace too -- but didn't want to risk its somewhat higher value stashed in car -- plus I don't wanna have to look around for Max Kingery each time I fire it up. :) :)

- OS

• Like 1
Anytime I head out more than about 10 miles my sig 556 pistol goes with me. I've had it since 2010. I'm pretty good out to about 50 yards with it using a single point sling. I practice out to 100 yards but 50 is my line unless I end up in the wide open desert.

Last year I added a sig brace pre- mounted on a buffer tube. I keep them in the front compartment of the backpack the pistol rides in. It takes a couple of minutes to install; time which I may or may not have. Confidence and accuracy go way up when I can shoulder it.

All of my customers except one are now in border states that I can drive to so no issues legally with my permit.

I just finished a 308 pistol. I like it a lot but it is harder to be low key with it. However, it sure does bring the pain, especially when going against vehicles.

Mark

I find cheek weld alone as third point of contact more than sufficient. I experimented pushing out on single point sling, found it to suck big time by comparison, not to mention speed of deploying the first shot too.

I have a "fancier" one with brace too -- but didn't want to risk its somewhat higher value stashed in car -- plus I don't wanna have to look around for Max Kingery each time I fire it up. :) :)

- OS

That me... It is not a bad cheek weld at all.

Mark
I really like my 10.5 AR Pistol. TN having a HANDGUN carry permit is my only reason for not SBRing it. I think I have the gas ports figured out for good suppressed and unsuppressed use. Once my form 4 clears I will commence with the in depth reliabilty testing and make the final adjustments.

So far it makes for a great gun at inside of 200 meters with Federal Fusion 62gr. Very handy indoors.

The only "problem" is that sometimes my buffer tube contacts my shoulder during recoil/cycling.

Overall I would highly recommend getting one if you are willing to tinker with it. Getting them to feed all types of ammo under the sun can be a chore.
  • Like 1
Ill be honest. After shooting my almost SBR this weekend without the stock I am wanting to build a pistol. It's not as hard to shoot accurately as I thought. I believe I will do it in 300 blackout as well though. I bet the 5.56 is a little fireball shooter with the short barrel.

I like the idea of having a separate upper for .22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ehull, 2 weekend ago I put a SLR rifleworks adjustable gas block on my 10.5 for suppressor use and also because I was taking it to a carbine simunitions class and wanted adjustbility just in case. It's worked well so far. I also have a re-drilled gas valve for my sig 5.56 but haven't had a chance to install it yet. maybe next weekend.

Maroonandwhite, I was on the fence about adding a 300blk to my SBR. I wanted to do it but held off as I just don't have time to reload right now. I ordered everything for a top end last Thursday. It will all be here next wed. I've always kept a 870 in the bedroom as my "bump in the night" gun but lately a suppressed 300 blk SBR shooting subsonic ammo has sounded appealing ( or not sounded, if the plan comes together : - ) )

May
  • Like 1

If I could only have one AR (Thank God that's not the case), it would be my AR pistol.  I went with both .300 and 5.56 uppers.  5.56 has the Troy flip up sights and the .300 has the Vortex Strikefire.  I went with SAA Dragon's Head Linear Comps on mine, much better than the standard A2 flash hiders.  The .300 is even gonna get a shot in the deer woods this year in the brushy thickets...sans the Sig Brace.  Not to sure how I feel about it just yet...I think I prefer the cheek weld method better than it.

ARPistols.jpg

• Like 1

Just for the heck of it... a guy brought in one of those Extar 5.56 pistols the other day. I asked if I could shoot it. He said sure. Dude... at around $440, that is one heck of an AR pistol! The recoil was very manageable, totally unlike the KT PLR-16. I don't know about the track record, but it sure made me want one.