Here are some pictures of what is in my "get home" bag.

The first column has the nitrile gloves at the top goes into the small, easy access pocket on the outside at the top. It has very, very basic first aid items like veterinary wrap, band aids, feminine products, suture kits and finally a broken shell extractor.

Column two are the two spare steel magazines which go into the bigger outside pocket on the front.

Column three is my blow out kit that will go on my belt if I think I might need it. But when not in use it is in the first big compartment. And under the blow out kit is my "toolkit".

Column four is the continuation of column three and another set of nitrile gloves, hearing protection, a Bic brand fire starter :), fingernail clippers and some survival cards. Columns three and four fit into the first big compartment.

Column 5 is what goes into the final compartment. More gloves, another tourniquet, more first aid items, spare battery, ink pens, electrical tape and range finder. I did not realize my binoculars were not there until after I took the pictures. I also carry Orajel for a few reasons, it is obviously for any type of tooth injury but it also works on other minor wounds as well that might be a little painful. If I have a deep splinter I generally open it up a little then pack it with Orajel before trying to remove it. Works great on blisters as well.

The Lifestraw, fire starter along with the baklava are all stored in the compartment for hydration systems at the very back.

The flashlight and knife are on the outside. These are in addition to the other ones I generally carry. I also have a machete I carry as well but it was accidentally left in the truck.
IMG_1634_zpsjehw3ovx.jpg

This is my blowout kit. It has most things you would need to stabilize all but the more serious wounds. It also has another tourniquet.
IMG_1636_zpsgwegknom.jpg
This is my "tool kit". It has most things I would need to do basic stuff with. In the globes are patches and panty hose. In the upper bag are rubber bands. There is another pen and it is wrapped with duct tape. A Bear brand fire starter. Nut drivers, screwdriver along with bits. 550 cord, AK cleaning kit along with brush, home made Boresnake and a pair of pliers along with an adjustable wrench. And all of that fits nicely into the bag for it.
IMG_1637_zpspjstefwh.jpg
This is an escape card. It has the tools to shim handcuffs, cut tape as well as pick locks. But on top of that everyone should have a handcuff key.
IMG_1644_zpsdzmnifne.jpg
This is a survival card. It has fish hooks, a saw, needles, snare locks or spoons for lures, pointed and blunt arrow heads as well as a gig. They are designed to be broken out of the card and used. These are the size of a credit card and are made out of stainless steel.
IMG_1646_zpsb1o0zqpd.jpg
And the whole pack weighs less than 12 pounds.
IMG_1642_zpssgc7taoh.jpg

I will say there are a few more things that did not make it into the picture. Heavy duty, as in contractor, trash bags. They can be used for so many things. They can keep your stuff dry or it can collect water. Slit the bottom and the sides and it becomes a poncho. Slide your feet into it when in a sleeping bag and it will keep you so much warmer. You could take two and split them and tape them together to make a shelter. Something else that will probably make it into the bag as well is some short range two way radios. I also have a solar powered cell phone charger that is in the bag as well.

And I still have plenty of room for a jacket, poncho or liner or something else to keep me warm at night.

And remember this is not a survival bag but a bag to get me home which will almost always be less than 25 miles. So, realistically, lack of food or water should not be an issue. Shelter and staying away from the bad guys is. And this bag is the year around bag, if we need more items because of the weather or some other reason it will get tossed in the vehicle.

This is what stays by my side every day, all day.
IMG_1647_zps5frgdenj.jpg
That is an Romanian Draco with a 7.5" barrel. I drilled and tapped the rear trunion for a Stormwerks AR15 style hinge to mount the KAK tube for the Shockwave "brace". The gas system has been tuned to reduce felt recoil and the trigger has been reworked resulting in a two stage trigger that breaks at a crisp 3.5 pounds. The gun itself weighs 7 pounds 13 ounces WITH the 30 round magazine and sling. That is a chopped down Saiga rifle forearm with a sling swivel holding it in place. US Palm grip with a gutted piece of 550 cord between it and the receiver to act as a ambidextrous sling point. The only thing left to do now is open up the rear sight once I get to the range. It is zeroed at 25 yards but I want to confirm at 100 or 200 yards.

And the best part is this is a pistol so I can LEGALLY carry it anywhere a HCP holder can carry a pistol. Heck, I could sling it across my back and legally walk around but I would never, ever do that. Just saying that this is just as legal to carry as any other "pistol".

I welcome any and all questions or comments.

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...

I like the setup, but I still think I'd toss some sort of food in there, even if it's a couple of granola bars.  A freeze dried meal wouldn't weigh much and would provide plenty of food should you have some issues getting home.  I'd really hate to get stuck for a couple of days by bad weather or a roving hoard of zombies without anything to eat.  I am a coffee junkie so I keep some packets of that Starbucks Via in my kit as well.  What I do that is a bit differently is I keep a bunch of stuff in my vehicle and I figure I can pick and choose what I need to carry based on the circumstances and leave the rest with the vehicle.  I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.  

I really like the AK pistol.  I seriously need to get another AK....

that's a really great set up.  love the ak.

You should consider adding:

cash and maybe gold/silver- credit cards might not work.  couple bucks for fuel might save you some walking

water carrier -  I have a few life straws but you cant rely on a water source to be near you at all times.  25 miles aint noting to laugh at and hydration is the key.  a metal canteen will allow you to boil water/cook as well. 

tinder - cotton balls in vasaline work great.  I've started fires in pouring rain with cotton balls and a flint 

aluminum foil - can use it to cook with or provide a semi sterile surface.  fold up a few square feet and wont take up much room.

space blanket - cheap, light weight, and works.  can supplement a sleeping bag in extreme cold

spork

bug spray

meds - aspirin and Phenergan  

Maybe swap a few items out:

electrical tape for duct tape - e tape is terrible if theres even a little moisture present.  d tape has more uses.  not too sure if you can get a really small roll of it though.

tools for a good multi tool. - reduce weight and keep them centralized

flashlight for a head lamp - hands free and most have a red lens built in 

recommendations:

chain knot the 550 chord.  once you take the tape off it will knot up and be a general pain in the ass.  the chain knot will make it more manageable and wont tangle up as bad.

prep you cat tourniquet.  take the plastic off and loop one end through the buckle.  its a bad day if that thing needs to see daylight and time will be a factor if it does. 

please don't underestimate lack of hydration.  guys die from that all the time and ive seen it twice. 

• Like 1

Survival is more about your knowledge and attitude than the gear you have. You can have all the gear in the world but if you do not know how to use it or think you are going to die then you will. But if you have the skills and the will to survive you generally will. Look at all the indigenous people in the world that, literally, have no survival gear and are able to survive and even thrive the some of the most inhospitable places on the planet.

• Like 5

I added the Bear Grylls fire starter to my kit a few months ago.  I took my son to the woods for a few days of land navigation and survival training in July and used it out there.  Way cooler than the one I got in the boy scouts.

looks like you have your bases covered.  didn't want to debate with you, thought you wanted constructive criticism on your kit bag.  either way what you got right now should be more than sufficient for your intentions and then some.  your pack has far more gear than the majority of the public has even thought about collecting for any type of emergency. 

hopefully you'll never have a legitimate reason to strap that to your back. 

The clear tube with a red cap on it in the first aid kit, what is that?  And what's the long bluish green thing next to it?

I'm not trying to speak for Dolomite. But I believe the tube with the red cap is an angiocath for needle decompression of a tension pnemothorax. The blue-green item is a Naso-pharygneal Airway or an NPA. It's inserted into one of the nasal passages and does a great job of maintaining a patent airway in an unconscious person.

Am I close Dolo?