Anti gun groups!!!

RED333

Calling it “swatting” is as stupid as the anti’s calling on everyone they see.

People are going to open carry guns, people are going to call the cops on them, the cops are going to respond; that will not change for most areas. Unless the callers embellish or make stuff up it should be nothing more than any other call of suspicious activity. The responding cops will know the person is armed, the person should know that the cops know they are armed; and if all act accordingly it should be a drama free event.

If they say the person pulled the gun or threatened someone, when they didn’t, is crosses the line to a criminal act.

Kinda sad that we have to put up with any of this crap over something that is a right protected by the Constitution.

I occasionally use broadcastify.com to monitor the local PD scanner. Within the last week the dispatcher reported a call from someone saying some juveniles knocked on his or her door to complain about a man with a gun. The officer asked the dispatcher if the man had the gun in his hand or in a holster. Dispatcher said the complaint originated from some frightened juveniles and did not include that detail. The officer reported that he checked the location and didn't find anything.

I was disappointed to hear such a call, but we definitely have our share of busybodies here.

I don't feel that I should have to stop and explain myself when I've done nothing but exercise my Constitutional right, but then again maybe that's why I conceal when in public.  Maybe an LEO or someone with more legal knowledge than myself can answer this for sure, but can one not be prosecuted for making frivolous 911 calls?  I think that approach would be a stretch but law enforcement is going to get tired of answering these calls really quick.

Wellllllll, you do with me (if you want to). If I see you open carrying in my jurisdiction I'm going to be asking you questions. Such as: "What kind ya got there?"; "Caliber?"; "Like it?"; "Accurate?" And, most importantly: "Didja get a good deal on it?"  :woohoo:

Yes, I do that all the time. Most folks seem to be pleasantly surprised that they've run into a cop who's a certified gun nut. I've met some really good folks that way. Of course, the problem is that I usually wind up standing there having a good conversation for quite a while instead of working. :surrender: I always like to encourage people when I see them exercising their Constitutional rights

And I forget who said it on here, but they're right about the fact that someone who's up to no good is probably not going to be open carrying.

And, to answer your question, yes, people can be and are prosecuted for making false reports. Though not often enough.

Edited by res308
  • Like 2

Dolomite, I'm sorry about what you had to go through. That investigator and that DA are some bad examples. I myself am also not a tech guru, and I wouldn't know how to find an IP if you handed me one with a bow on it. BUT, I have a DA's investigator who DOES. I just worked a "spoofing" case recently. Can't go into details since it hasn't gone to court, but they spoofed a number and made a call with the intent to get someone arrested, which they succeeded in doing. I had my suspicions, brought in the DA's investigator, proved it, and prosecuted it. Your case should have been treated the same, as yours was MUCH more serious. The failures you experienced just blew my mind.

The fact is, people are becoming more and more evil with each passing day. I have no doubt that if someone had shown up you and your wife would have taken care of business, but I'm glad it didn't come to that.

And KUDOS to you for pressing the fight and not giving up.

..... The failures you experienced just blew my mind.

His county LE is known for being both lackadaisical and corrupt.

Now, I used to live in Union County, had trouble with a famously evil individual there once upon a time, advice I got from the sheriff, "next time he comes out there armed,  shoot him, make sure he's dead, drag him over on your property, and then call me personally."

Then of course, he said it was only fair to also tell me I'd have to also kill about 4 more of his family unless they got me first.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

His county LE is known for being both lackadaisical and corrupt.

Now, I used to live in Union County, had trouble with a famously evil individual there once upon a time, advice I got from the sheriff, "next time he comes out there armed, shoot him, make sure he's dead, drag him over on your property, and then call me personally."

Then of course, he said it was only fair to also tell me I'd have to also kill about 4 more of his family unless they got me first.

- OS

I grew up in Anderson County, New River to be exact. You've been there to shoot OS, as have several others. Even now the typical LEO response is "All units are busy, we can be there about 900 am, when it gets good and daylight. We are kinda known for handling our own shit. As for calling the law on me when I open carry, by all means go ahead. Wouldn't be the first conversation I've had, and it's not gonna stop me from exercising my bought and paid for open carry privilege in good ol' Tennessee

Sent from the backwoods

Of course they may respond like this young lady. At which point she will find out pepper spray doesn't affect everyone, and some people have had to deal with it and respond after being sprayed. So that's gonna end one of two ways. Both start with me automatically going into weapons retention. One way ends with a beating, the other a shooting. And that all depends on how threatened I feel.
Screenshot_2015-09-04-04-49-20_zpswfm6vv
Sent from the backwoods

Edited by Spots

Of course they may respond like this young lady. At which point she will find out pepper spray doesn't affect everyone, and some people have had to deal with it and respond after being sprayed. So that's gonna end one of two ways. Both start with me automatically going into weapons retention. One way ends with a beating, the other a shooting. And that all depends on how threatened I feel.
Screenshot_2015-09-04-04-49-20_zpswfm6vv
Sent from the backwoods

This completely trumps the stupidity of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Dolomite, well...........after reading your posts here............I don't think I have a right to complain about anything else. It seems you have been run through a street sweeper followed by a steam roller. I had no idea.

Edited by res308
It is all part of life and my struggles are not unique to me.

A lot of newer members have no clue as I have not talked a lot about my family or my childhood in a while. Mostly because I severed all ties with my family, except my wife and my son and his family, six years ago. It was the hardest but the best thing I have done for myself, my wife and our life together.

But I concur it seems like I have been through a lot but I am no different than a lot of members in their own struggles. Everyone has their own struggles in life, I am no different than any of them except I don't mind talking about what I have been through.

And I don't talk about what I have been through looking for sympathy. I do it so hopefully others can realize they are not alone in their personal struggles.

And if there is anyone, but especially veterans, that feel overwhelmed because of their struggles in life know you are not alone and that people do care.
  • Like 2