Hawg Daddy strikes again.

Let me preface this seemingly stupid question with saying that I'm NOT a hunter, but is there a difference in the meat of a feral hog compared to a domestic hog? I ask because I'm considering purchasing 132 acres. I want to set up the land to help sustain us with food and to hunt if necessary. I want to raise cattle, hogs, chickens, and such along with a large garden in case SHTF. If there is no difference and feral hogs are prevalent then I won't need to worry about raising the hogs.

Let me preface this seemingly stupid question with saying that I'm NOT a hunter, but is there a difference in the meat of a feral hog compared to a domestic hog? I ask because I'm considering purchasing 132 acres. I want to set up the land to help sustain us with food and to hunt if necessary. I want to raise cattle, hogs, chickens, and such along with a large garden in case SHTF. If there is no difference and feral hogs are prevalent then I won't need to worry about raising the hogs.

There's some difference in taste, wild hogs have a bit stronger flavor, but it's nothing real dramatic. It's typically better, if anything IMO.

I've never cleaned one, but have been told by a friend that the big difference is the smell when butchering. Wild hogs can have a really strong smell.

Feral hogs are generally much leaner. Ones down in Florida don't have much fat for making sausage, and the bacon I've had off them isn't that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know guys, thanks. I'm a big fan of smoked meat so I'm guessing the difference would be negligible.

EDIT: Another reason that I asked is that I've heard a lot of people indicate that they just shoot them as pest control - never in the context of food except the OP. I do not agree with what his plan was, but my FIL talked of going down to Texas and shooting the hogs in the stomach so they'd run off to die. Fortunately, he didn't get a shot off because at 80 he can't see crap!

Edited by SWJewellTN

As a follow up, does anyone have an idea of the spread of these guys? Last I heard there were small populations in Montgomery county, but it seems they are just multiplying worse than rabbits.

They do multiply extremely fast. They are showing up every where. If they're not there today, just wait, they'll be there next week! Tennessee's "No hunt" theory on hogs is a total failure. They say it's working, but we are finding hogs in more places than ever before. They are in Montgomery County and Stewart County is overrun with them.

They are born in liters of 6-8 and can give birth at 6 months of age and drop a liter every 6 months. So, you can see how fast they spread!

Dave

I've been curious about the success/failure of TWRA's new plan for regulating wild hogs. So they say it's working?

Nice hog, BTW! Edited by Wingshooter

Good to know guys, thanks. I'm a big fan of smoked meat so I'm guessing the difference would be negligible.

EDIT: Another reason that I asked is that I've heard a lot of people indicate that they just shoot them as pest control - never in the context of food except the OP. I do not agree with what his plan was, but my FIL talked of going down to Texas and shooting the hogs in the stomach so they'd run off to die. Fortunately, he didn't get a shot off because at 80 he can't see crap!

They are pests for sure, farmers loose quite a bit.  Many states with a wild hog problem now allow the collection of wild hogs to give to food programs.  They differ on how, either live or just harvested; here in TN you can't transport them live.  Some people do just let them lay where they drop but most people I know take care to drop them humanely.  I won't even shoot a coyote without trying to take a humane shot, I am not trying to punish them.

I'd like to see them be more open with night hunting for sure.

I plan on bringing back a couple hundred pounds of it from Texas if anyone wants some my family can't eat that much. I'd love to trade out some meat for use of your meat grinder!

They are pests for sure, farmers loose quite a bit.  Many states with a wild hog problem now allow the collection of wild hogs to give to food programs.  They differ on how, either live or just harvested; here in TN you can't transport them live.  Some people do just let them lay where they drop but most people I know take care to drop them humanely.  I won't even shoot a coyote without trying to take a humane shot, I am not trying to punish them.

Agreed, the animal is just being an animal. No excuse to intentionally end their life in a cruel manner. When my FIL mentioned intentionally gut-shooting them so they'd run off to die I admit that I didn't say anything to him. He's in very poor health and can't see crap, so I figured the odds of him making from Missouri to South Texas were slim to begin with let alone take a shot at anything. The outcome was as I expected with him not shooting anything.

I've been curious about the success/failure of TWRA's new plan for regulating wild hogs. So they say it's working?

Nice hog, BTW!

They claim it's working. However, I'm finding hogs now in places I've never seen before.

Dave

We shot a bunch from the air by helicopter (Pork Chopper) at Cross Creeks two years ago and had to leave them where they fell. Sixty Four of them from baby size  to  3-4 hundred pounders. USDA does not allow the donating of the meat here due to liability issues. Da' Gooberment fraid da gonna get suuuued if someone doesn't cook it right and gets sick.

Dave

It's certainly leaner than farm-raised pork, but it's a lot tastier!
20150919_202540_zpssh8nq1qp.jpg

Raising pigs for the table is about as easy as any livestock can get, but you need good fences. Very good fences. Buried at least 3' deep & 4' tall. There isn't much a determined & motivated pig can't escape from.
Also, they're not easy to slaughter. Mostly because in the time it takes to grow them from seed bacon to healthy eating weight, you'll bond with them. They have very individual & obvious personalities & it's very hard not to fall in love with the damn things.

Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...