Why some people shouldn't be police officers

My wife and I were driving on I-240 this morning. We were going to the local Sam's club to purchase some items in bulk.

Anyway. As we were proceeding around the city a red pickup truck pulled in behind us. I was doing about 65 in a 55 zone. This idiot must have been doing 80+. He got right on my rear bump and quickly changes lanes almost taking out my bumper with me, my wife and kids in the car. Now I was actually concerned and started moving to the left to get out of the way into the emergency room. As this idiot came around me I flipped him off. Probably not one of the brightest ideas because this is Memphis but I did it and I don't feel bad.

This is where the interesting thing happens. He slows down and rolls down his tinted window and shows me a badge. I did not get a great look at it but it appeared to be an M.P.D. badge. My wife rolls down her window and states, "just because you are a police officer doesn't give you the right to tailgate." The officer sped up and drove away after she stated this.

Now I know, he could have been going to a call but that still doesn't excuse the behavior. I know he couldn't see that my family was in the car with me, but that still doesn't excuse the behavior. I know that I shouldn't have flipped him off, but that doesn't excuse the behavior. The behvior I am talking about is the tailgating and driving 80 at least.

I tried catching up but he was gone.

Don't try to excuse his behavior. There isn't one.

This person obviously doesn't have the proper temperament to be an officer. If he truly had justification he could have pulled me over. In retrospect I should have asked him to pull over and actually gotten his badge number but I only imagine that would have made things worse.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

He could have very well not been an officer. Could have been some dumbass with a fake badge, or even worse... a concealed carry badge!

Not saying there aren't cops out there that do stupid crap... but, just because he flashed a piece of tin, it doesn't mean he was legit.

Guest truthsayer

I wonder where city employees in Memphis get the idea that they can operate above the law? Do the Mayor and the city council have that privilege? Oh wait....

Guest Todd@CIS
He could have very well not been an officer. Could have been some dumbass with a fake badge, or even worse... a concealed carry badge!

Not saying there aren't cops out there that do stupid crap... but, just because he flashed a piece of tin, it doesn't mean he was legit.

+1

Being that close, did you get a tag number?

Contact police and find out if he is a cop.

After that, give us a follow-up, please (that way we're not going on assumptions).

Whether or not I was acting in a "mature" manner, the "officer" abused his position. He was attempting to intimidate me by showing us his badge. If he was justified then he could have pulled me over and given me a ticket. The fact that we didn't "back down" and that he sped off tells me that he knows he wasn't in the right and didn't want to force the issue because if he was an officer and had pulled me over there definitely would have been a report filed against him.

I unfortunately did not get the tag number. When I attempted to speed up to get the tag number he floored it and sped away. Not wanting to risk a speeding ticket I backed off and went about my business. I am not sure if they truly were an officer or not. If he was, he should not be. Flashing a badge in that scenario was the wrong thing to do, in my opinion.+

And no, you being an officer with out any indications on your vehicle that you are responding to a call and going 80+ MPH on the interstate and endangering the lives of innocent people - we are not even. Had he simply flipped me off back - then we would be even. Flashing a badge and forcing your "authority" shows you should not be on the force. (if he even was.)

I am not sure if they truly were an officer or not.

Yet you seem more than willing to start a thread claiming a police officer abused his authority. Maybe next time you should verify your info before posting your rant.

Lots of people have badges. Firemen, security guards, even some have the much sought after CCW/HCP badge (:rolleyes:). Anybody can order them online, or buy them off eBay. eBay has a whole section of their website devoted to police badges.

Under TCA 39-16-301, Criminal impersonation, among other offenses, is "Causing another to believe that the person is a law enforcement officer".

This is a Class "A" Misdemeanor, which can get one fined $500 and a stint in Jail for almost a year.

There is a good chance this individual did this. However, I have worked and trained with a few active duty and retired cops who should NEVER have been given a badge.:confused:

If there was room for him to pass you, why didn't you just move over instead? This seems to be a common problem on the interstate. Even when I have my emergency equipment on people still don't move over. I don't understand the logic behind not moving over and allowing someone else to pass! When I am in my personal vehicle (especially with my family) I stay out of the fast lane for this reason.

:confused::wall::stick::wall::wall::wall::screwy:

Yet you seem more than willing to start a thread claiming a police officer abused his authority. Maybe next time you should verify your info before posting your rant.

Lots of people have badges. Firemen, security guards, even some have the much sought after CCW/HCP badge (:confused:). Anybody can order them online, or buy them off eBay. eBay has a whole section of their website devoted to police badges.

+1 Sounds like typical road rage only bumped up by the fact that the other party flashed "a badge". Several security companies have badges that are similar to MPD, you can also order badges that are the same color and shape for anything you want online.

Unless it was a cop in a car doing something stupid or a blatant abuse where you saw the badge clearly enough to identify the numbers on it, I'm gonna have to say the thread title is misleading.

Guest sermon8r

Title to OP should read....Why Some People Shouldnt Drive

I wonder if he had a CCW sticker on the back window

With all due respect, it doesn't sound like any parties involed were acting in a mature manner. I'd call it even.

I agree 100%

"A soft answer turns away wrath, But harsh words stirr up anger"

Proverbs 15:1

Edited by sermon8r

aside from the point of this thread and the original post, is there some law against giving someone the finger?

I gave that kind of stuff up a long time ago, some jerk on the road is not going to get my goat. The best way to get even is to continue having a nice day.

I did have a guy years ago pull up next to me and start yelling at me. I guess he thought I cut him off. I dunno really. I yelled back at him "go home and beat your wife, maybe that will make you feel better" I have since matured.

Guest sermon8r
aside from the point of this thread and the original post, is there some law against giving someone the finger?

I gave that kind of stuff up a long time ago, some jerk on the road is not going to get my goat. The best way to get even is to continue having a nice day.

I did have a guy years ago pull up next to me and start yelling at me. I guess he thought I cut him off. I dunno really. I yelled back at him "go home and beat your wife, maybe that will make you feel better" I have since matured.

I pulled out in front of a guy...(oops) at the next light i rolled down my window and said Sorry man i didnt see you.

He told me to go to hell....:stick: I said I cant since Im Saved and Jesus died for my sins...:confused: I asked are you a Christian?:wall:

He said no.... I told him he could go there if he wanted :screwy:and threw him a Gospel Tract and told him to read it and discover how he can not go to hell. :screwy:

When the light changed he was still sitting there

Guest bkelm18
I pulled out in front of a guy...(oops) at the next light i rolled down my window and said Sorry man i didnt see you.

He told me to go to hell....:wall: I said I cant since Im Saved and Jesus died for my sins...:confused: I asked are you a Christian?:wall:

He said no.... I told him he could go there if he wanted :screwy:and threw him a Gospel Tract and told him to read it and discover how he can not go to hell. :screwy:

When the light changed he was still sitting there

So throwing what some would consider trash at someone at a stop light isn't considered hostile behavior? :stick:

I am going to take the "officer" at his word that he was some type of law enforcement officer. You want to trash me about it, fine. I don't care. I have thick skin.

The reason I didn't just "move over" is because at this point of the interstate, the far left lane is the only lane that is going straight which is the direction that I was heading. There was another lane to my immediate right that was clear when he got up to me. There was no reason for him to tail gate and there was no reason for him to be doing 80.

Anyway. I am done. I ranted, I feel better. If I see him again and he does the same thing I will follow him to wherever he is going so I can get the badge number and determine if he is real cop or not.

P.S. Flipping some one off is not road rage. It is an expression of disgust at another's behavior. Following them and getting in to an altercation is road rage.

Edited by saintsfanbrian
Guest canynracer
So throwing what some would consider trash at someone at a stop light isn't considered hostile behavior? :confused:

He threw the book at him! hehehe

all kidding aside.

Its easy to armchair quaterback this one...but lets not all act like angels

the majority of the folks that responded here that said "sounds like both are immature" need to go back and read a lot of the other posts you have done. "I would have done this or that, there is no way I am gonna take that, I am not gonna let anyone threaten my family"

c'mon, be real...if I came up on your ass at 80mph, and got that close when you had your family in the car, I am sure the majority would have some chice words for me...and if I flashed a badge of ANY kind, it would have fueled your fire... I know for a fact that some would not be so gentle into the night.

Brian, this sucks, although I dont flip the bird anymore, I am sure I would have shown my undelight... Hopefully this moron was NOT a cop.

Showing someone that they are number one isn't childish.

Everyone needs to settle down.

Someone flashing a badge while acting like an idiot is not acceptable under any circumstances. PERIOD

The almight LEOs are humans and are capable of doing thing they ought not do.

Give the Saints fan a break....he is a Saints fan....LOL

Dear Packin

Sometimes this is not an option. There are fools on the road who will tailgate and try to run you off the road regardless of which lane you are in.

Several years ago, an idiot repeatedly rear ended me on Interstate 40 near Robertson Road. It was the busy time of day, all lanes were going about 35, there were construction cones on the shoulders, and there was no where to go. A cop was parked on the side of the road when we passed him. The idiot wound up paying about $2000 in court fines, and the insurance co. totalled my car. He told the cop he did not see me. The cop did not believe him.:screwy:

I was in a Cadillac, belted in, and was not injured. Luckily for both of us, I was not forced to pull over and deal with the madman who had destroyed my car while trying to run me off the road. I never DID find out why that happened.:rolleyes:

I make a point to wave at them or just smile when they pass, while they are waving their IQ finger at me.:D

Please in the future be able to Identify the "officer" by name, rank, and badge number before you start trying to run off at the mouth about officers. I know that its cool to tell everybody how you acted like "Billy bada**" to the Police, but you don't even know and cannot prove that he was an actual officer. I understand that the guy was driving like an idiot and placing you and you family in danger, but is it a good idea to continue to do so on your behalf by flipping him off? Yes it is freedom of speech, but by antagonizing the situation you could have gotten an unwelcome response while you family was with you. Just remember if you ignore the idiots and fools of the world, they will eventually take care of themselves.

My :rolleyes::

1. From now on take your foot off the accelerator and turn on your lights. At his rate of speed, when he sees you slowing down and your tail lights on,

it'll scare the :screwy: out of him. The look on his face will be priceless.

2. Your California howdy, I've found is the first characteristic of a (not that I'm calling you one, but) redneck coward. Think about it...They usually show you the finger and run.

3. That was not a cop. Prison Guard, maybe. If he's going to flash the badge after pulling a stunt like that, he's going to through his weight around or do something even more moronic to show his arse.

4. Keep in mind, your carrying a gun. Put yourself above all that throwing up the bird or the badge. Sometimes the best revenge is to refer back to #1, then just point and laugh.:D

Guest canynracer
Please in the future be able to Identify the "officer" by name, rank, and badge number before you start trying to run off at the mouth about officers. I know that its cool to tell everybody how you acted like "Billy bada**" to the Police, but you don't even know and cannot prove that he was an actual officer. I understand that the guy was driving like an idiot and placing you and you family in danger, but is it a good idea to continue to do so on your behalf by flipping him off? Yes it is freedom of speech, but by antagonizing the situation you could have gotten an unwelcome response while you family was with you. Just remember if you ignore the idiots and fools of the world, they will eventually take care of themselves.

Kinda hard to get that information while driving on the hwy....and I dont think he was acting like Billy Bad ass to the cops, seeing that he didnt KNOW dude was a cop till the badge flash. l

once again, have YOU ever flipped someone off while driving? lets be real...sometimes **** happens out of emotions and adrenaline

Edited by canynracer