Save Monkeyman ... Or not ... (Classic Car Advice)

I had a 1990 GMC 1500 Sierra that I bought new in 1990 and paid cash for it. I put 240,000 miles on her and much of the time it was pulling a bass Boat all or southeastern U.S. fishing bass tournaments. All the time I owned that truck I only had to put two rebuilt trannys in her and regular maintenance. It still had original timing chain in it. My Son gave me a Jeep Cherokee once I quit touring and it will pull bass boat to all local lakes. I parked the GMC for about a month and got a hair up my but to set it out front of my house with a 4 sale sign on it  That same day I had 5 people stop by and ask about it and how much I wanted for it. I to this day cannot explain why I sold it rather than just slowly fix her up but I put a price of $2,500.00 on it back in 2009 thinking no one would pay that for it. A guy and his wife stopped in that same afternoon and test drove it and came back and ask what I wanted for it. I said $2.500.00 non negotiation. He said I was asking to much for a truck with that many miles on it and the age of it. I said that is the price and not a dime less. He said thanks and went and got in with his wife and left. An hour later he came back and handed me 25 folding Ben Franklin's and I signed the title and watched it drive away. 5 minutes after it was out of sight I regretted selling it and to this day still regret it. Make sure that once you do sell it you don't end up like me. Regretting it and helpless to do anything about it.........jmho

• Like 1
I have an old Toyota Celica. Chaos. Chaos and I have been together fit about fifteen years. 100k miles, three engines, a wreck and a full ground up rebuild. At the end of the day she is a satin black import that is with $2000 if I felt like ripping someone off. Regardless of the $15,000 she had seen in the last ten years on performance parts, or new engines. She is nasty and difficult to drive. Loud and annoying. But she hugs the road and puts a smile on my face every time she blows a fireball out of her side pipe.

She lives in my garage, and will fit as long as she wants to. The new Mustang lives in the driveway.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Well, it seems you have already made the decision to sell. Of course if the price is wrong; the problem of whether or not to sell will take care of itself.

You will have to find a very special buyer to pay that much for that vehicle. Banks won’t finance that; so they need to have cash. (And not care about MPG) You need to go to some of the collector sites. Here is an idea of what you are up against.
https://www.facebook.com/78-79-Ford-Broncos-Mostly-For-Sale-641729919264832/

See, there in lies the tricky part of pricing. I looked at that page and some of the prices are too high and some too low. Some are mudder trucks that have been beat to hell and some aren't. It is a difficult thing to price. But you're right, cash will be needed and that's the person I want to buy her if she sells. It means that they'll finish the job.

Assuming insurance is relatively inexpensive, I'd keep it.  It's paid for and doesn't cost much just sitting there.  Drive it to work twice a month or so to keep it up.  Go play in the dirt every now and then.  Every good girl likes getting dirty, from time to time.  ;)

You made me laugh. Your right about girls getting dirty, but Matilda is a classy brawd. She never leaves the gravel/pavement. I don't like the thought of her getting injured. LOL

If it is paid for and is a running driving vehicle, regardless of how it looks, I would keep it unless you have another vehicle that is paid off and runs. You never know what is going to happen in the future and if something does happen and you loose the ability to pay for your other vehicles at least you will have a way to get around. And with it being a 4wd it makes that even more important as we start to come into colder weather.

A few more things. Is this the only vehicle you have that can get you out of where you live during bad weather conditions? If so I would keep it. Never know when an emergency happens and the ability to get to the hospital, when ambulances can't, is also something to consider. We never thought the weather would be an issue for us but when our grand daughter came up to visit she got sick, very sick, and spent 4 days in Children's Hospital. This was last year when we got a lot of snow. They had a little Honda Accord that was all but useless for getting out of the road we live on. Prior to that my wife wanted to buy some tire chains. I told her it was wasted money but she bought them anyway. Well two days later we used those chains on our truck to get our grand daughter to the main road where they could get her to the hospital. I can't even imagine what might have happened had we not had those chains. So the ability to be mobile in bad weather is a must because accidents do happen, people do get sick and if the weather is bad enough the ambulances might not be able to save the day.

You guys already have an attachment to it and if you have children they too will see it as a memory of both of you as well. I am not sure if you have children but if you do I would also consider them in this. They will have fun, like all teenagers, driving around in an old, temperamental off road vehicle. Heck, if the kids are old enough turn the truck's restoration into a family project. Some of my best memories were working on cars with close friends when I was a teenager.

Both of our DD's are going to be paid off in full next month. Meaning we'll have 3 vehicles that are solely ours. Monkey's Dodge 2500 is what we use to venture to town during bad weather. Matilda is all time 4 wheel drive but she is squirrely on ice. Id never risk it with her. We use his truck because of the weight. And we are bearen (by choice) so there will be no one to give her to when we're old and too senile to drive.

My wife owned a Ford Edge that she loved, and I owned a 2013 BOSS 302 Mustang that I dearly loved. I had waited several years for this specific specialty car to be released by Ford to the point of passing up on other performance vehicles like the 2012 version that had different stripes. When I finally got the car I did a few things to customize it, babied it, and truly enjoyed driving it to work every day. I was so attached to this car that every time I walked out to it my heart would speed up, and I drove it at every opportunity that I had. I even took vacation time to take it out east to drive The Tail of The Dragon and the Diamondback in NC.

But our lifestyle changed. My wife, (who refused to camp for over 30 years of marriage), decided that she liked camping so much that we bought a travel trailer. This necessitated trading her Edge for a pick-up to tow the trailer. My wife is short, and she couldn't handle driving the truck at all nor would she dare to drive the BOSS so we carpooled. We did this mostly in the truck, but I soon realized that her not having a vehicle that she could comfortably drive wasn't fair to her because it limited her freedom to move on her own accord. By the time that I owned the BOSS for 1.5 years it had pretty much so become an expensive garage queen which hurt even more, so I traded it in for a Cadillac XTS for my wife. During this process my wife thought I'd back out at the last minute but I didn't. Afterwards, my wife posted on Facebook that it was the single most selfless act that she'd ever witnessed, but to me it was worth it because she dearly loves that car! I still miss my car particularly when I see another BOSS on the road, (there's a 2012 in my neighborhood).

There's the problem. My husband LOVES this truck. Which is hilarious because when I found her on Craigslist 4 years ago he went to look at her while I was at work. She was sitting under a tree just wasting away. He called me at work and said "I don't think this is the one for you, let's keep looking". I went after work and I could see underneath all the dirt and disgusting mold what she COULD be. we've gotten her half way there but we've been exhausted between moving and everything else. But I think my most selfless act would be to keep her because of how much he loves her. He just cringes when I say anything about selling her. I have 6 days left out of my 7. After that with no nibbles, she will stay in the Monkey household.

Another thing to consider, you want it to go to someone who will finish the restoration and make it nicer.

I have been truck shopping with my buddy who just totaled his jeep and is looking for a truck. Everything is trashed now days. No one takes care of their vehicles. Chances are actually pretty high that it will go to someone who won't take care of it, much less finish the restoration. To most people now, a vehicle is simply a way to go from point A to point B. To some of us, yourself included, the right vehicle is more than that. No one will truly appreciate it for what it is more than you.

Sometimes if it is feasible, you just have to throw logic and practicality to the wind.

That's where I am at now. I'm literally going to go nuts and keep her if she doesn't sell in 6 days. Then I will go even crazier and do the body work in the spring. Oy.

So the dilemma is sell it or keep it and the issue with keeping it is that it doesn't get driven much?  Simple solution - drive it more.  There, problem solved.  You're welcome. :pleased:

Drove her yesterday. It made my heart pitter patter. Like spending time with a child you love. Except I don't really care for kids as much as I do dogs. LOL

I have an old Toyota Celica. Chaos. Chaos and I have been together fit about fifteen years. 100k miles, three engines, a wreck and a full ground up rebuild. At the end of the day she is a satin black import that is with $2000 if I felt like ripping someone off. Regardless of the $15,000 she had seen in the last ten years on performance parts, or new engines. She is nasty and difficult to drive. Loud and annoying. But she hugs the road and puts a smile on my face every time she blows a fireball out of her side pipe.

She lives in my garage, and will fit as long as she wants to. The new Mustang lives in the driveway.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

You sound A LOT like me. Believe it or not, even though she is huge and a hoss and when you are driving her it feels like a tank; she trurns on a dime and hauls ass too. I've given us a 7 day period where she "might" sell. I'm 97.9% sure she won't. I am OK with that. She'd be in the garage if she fit but she's a BBB so outside in the sun is where she sits.

Guys, I really appreciate all the help. I really feel like at this point, I know what path to take and the right thing to do is. http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5280905013.html Here's the link if you want to see what she looks like. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Ok, after reading the ad and looking at the truck you are not really wanting to sell her. You are actually hoping no one buys her. You listed ever flaw she has and has already planted in any potential buyers mind that they will be paying somewhere close to 10 grand on a vehicle that will need at least another 5 grand spent on her from the get go........... :rofl:  That is sure sign you don't want her to sell..... :rock:

• Like 1
Don't sell her ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Here is the reason I say that. My first car was a 1970 Road Runner that me and my dad spent 2 years doing a ground up restoration. I traded that car for a 1993 Corvette that i totaled. Replaced that car with 1988 454ss Silverado wrapped it around a oak tree. I had three of the coolest cars at my high school all three were special to me but every day i think about the Road Runner I have a picture of it on my desk at work you will miss it the moment the tail lights disappear don't do it!!!
  • Like 1

Ok, after reading the ad and looking at the truck you are not really wanting to sell her. You are actually hoping no one buys her. You listed ever flaw she has and has already planted in any potential buyers mind that they will be paying somewhere close to 10 grand on a vehicle that will need at least another 5 grand spent on her from the get go........... :rofl: That is sure sign you don't want her to sell..... :rock:

To be fair though.. I did list all the GOOD too!!! ;-)

So by keep it you mean, just do all the needed body work, paint and interior repair and keep it? That IS what you mean right?

Because there is a jerk where not far from where we live. He drives a red and white two tone version which is cute, but I know he doesn't have any of the power mine does. So I should just finish the repair work and put the boy to shame. Right? Cause that's the only way I think I can keep her. LOL

Now that I've gotten more information, I don't think our vehicle situation is that alike - except for the sentimental attachment part. My truck is a work truck in a sense and I plan on keeping her mechanically sound but will not restore her. Good luck on the decision process.
You have a disirable year truck. 78-79 are the second gen with a straight front axle. The Bronco went to a pretzel front end in 80.

I've had my classic 77 since 1982.

Next year is the 50th Bronco anniversary. Look up Bronco Super Celebration in Townsend , Tn. It has grown crazy over the last few years. Next year will be nuts.

Trade it for another, get more or park it, but don't sell it.

Edit; heading out to Cade's cove and parsons branch in a few minutes, (in the Bronco!) Edited by Tncobra
  • Like 1

You can't put a price tag on something you are attached to. 

If you are attached, restore it and keep it.   Its over 25 years old, an antique (sorta, lol) and its value will eventually increase, making it an investment now.  

If you are not attached, get what you can out of it and move on.

You have a disirable year truck. 78-79 are the second gen with a straight front axle. The Bronco went to a pretzel front end in 80.

I've had my classic 77 since 1982.

Next year is the 50th Bronco anniversary. Look up Bronco Super Celebration in Townsend , Tn. It has grown crazy over the last few years. Next year will be nuts.

Trade it for another, get more or park it, but don't sell it.

Edit; heading out to Cade's cove and parsons branch in a few minutes, (in the Bronco!)

I will say this. I have a song that I made up for her. I also yell out "bronco power" in an 80's hair metal band voice when I see one. I talk a lot of smack about other old vehicles that aren't Broncos. And my favorite thing in the world is getting to wave at anyone in a bronco especially when they're in older Broncos. When we lived in Crieve Hall there was a dude with an older baby Bronco. It was like Christmas when we passed each other. Just because it was awesome.

78-79 to me is awesome because it was the first "big" Bronco. I'd love a early 70's but Monkey would never fit. I'm taking the posting down and she's staying. That's all there is to it now.

As for the Townsend thing, I'd like to go. We used to be members on The FSB forum and that's where I originally heard about it. I bet it's a blast!

Guys, I really appreciate all the help. I really feel like at this point, I know what path to take and the right thing to do is. http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5280905013.html Here's the link if you want to see what she looks like. Thanks again!

Click the link and I get:

This posting has been deleted by its author.

Kept it or sold it?

You listed ever flaw she has

Nothing wrong with that.  Better than most of the CL ads that don't even have a picture and the ad says "it need work, text for info."

Click the link and I get:
Kept it or sold it?

Nothing wrong with that. Better than most of the CL ads that don't even have a picture and the ad says "it need work, text for info."

Kept :-) I took it down after the last post. I walked out into the hallway and told my husband and he just smiled and high fived me. Yesterday was all day cruising. It was rad. We had a lot of fun.

As for the CL post, I listed all her excellent qualities and new parts (tons) but I believe that being honest is important. So I did list what her needs were (mostly cosmetic). I've since decided on the direction to finish her off and get her done. So interior is going to be changed to black from tan and dark brown and her desert sand exterior is going to be a nice satin green. Army green. I would say olivey sage but that damn chart will come back out! LOL
Just an FYI, I went to tend to my MIL's yard today for a side project while Monkey was at work. Did you know a 79 Bronco can hold a push mower, a chainsaw, a pair of gas hedge trimmers, a gas leaf blower, 5gal gas container and a 1gal gas container? And that was not even pushing it on "being full". God, what was I thinking?? Today was THEE single best day driving her. So rad!