Any way to verify military record?

To make a long story short, a single mother, with another child due in December, is on a local Facebook group that I run, and she appeared to need some financial assistance. The fact that she claims to be a disabled veteran was enough to nudge me into helping her. We've given her a few items for the baby, assisted another couple into organizing a baby shower that's supposed to take place between now and December.

From the very beginning, she cannot have a conversation (online or in person) without pressing the whole "I'm a disabled veteran" story.  She clearly knows this pulls at the heartstings of many of us. As much as it pains me to say it, I'm convinced something isn't quite right with her story. She's also constantly telling EVERYONE that she cannot receive food stamps due to making 40 cents over some sort of limit. She doesn't work, so the only income that I'm aware of would be the military disability. Would the military really pay a disabled veteran 40 cents over the limit, just to prevent him/her from being able to collect food stamps?

I'm not even convinced that she saw any sort of action while in the military. From what I've been able to gather, I think she may have been beaten by her ex-husband who was also in the military. Based on things she has said, along with the fact that she clearly has some unresolved mental/psychological issues, I believe she MAY have suffered some fairly significant head injuries as a result of the beating. I'm kind of assuming she wasn't lying about the beating taking place. I am not assuming that she's messed up in the head. There's NO doubt about that. To the point, I'm really surprised the government has allowed her to have custody of her daughter.

I could go on and on, but I'm wondering if there is any way to verify anything this woman is saying about her military career? 

Blocks 26 & 27 on the DD214 will tell you the details behind the discharge.  They are the separation and reentry codes, and if she is truly disabled, it will match up with what those codes mean.  They're very easy to look up.

That's if you can get a DD214 to look at.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

What information will that provide? Anything other than the fact that she was actually in the military?

It should show the type of discharge, if she was medically discharged. Of not then the only thing I can think of would be a letter from the VA. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Sent from behind the anvil
I sometimes feel guilty because I won’t give to a cause I think is a scam; these days most are. But if you have met her and she needs help; is her military service really a factor?

As has already been posted it’s pretty easy to verify what she says..... But only if she decides to show you the proof. Asking to see a DD214 is as close as you can get to calling her a liar without actually doing it.
  • Like 2

I sometimes feel guilty because I won’t give to a cause I think is a scam; these days most are. But if you have met her and she needs help; is her military service really a factor?

As has already been posted it’s pretty easy to verify what she says..... But only if she decides to show you the proof. Asking to see a DD214 is as close as you can get to calling her a liar without actually doing it.

Yea, that would be calling her a liar or at least saying you don't trust her claim. There's no other way to see someones DD214 unless they show it to you.

Whether or not she is a disabled veteran or not isn't the issue, unless she's lying about being a veteran. I'd like to think I'm a pretty understanding guy, but not when it comes to something like that. 

I have been able to speak with an Afghan veteran who owns and operates a landscaping company in the area. From what he's telling me, he was forced to call the police on her over a dispute involving payment for services he performed. According to him, the police officer (also a veteran) informed him that she had been kicked out of basic training after three days.

I got no issue calling somebody out. If they are a legit vet it's pretty easy to tell talking to them, but if I had doubts I'd ask for a DD-214, and would have no trouble producing mine if it's asked for. I have no respect or tolerance for people lying about military service. I've got brothers who are permanently scared and a few who never came home, and lying about it is disrespectful to them in the worst way. If she never graduated boot camp then she's not a veteran, and I'm not sure they even give DD-214's for failure to adapt in basic. Ask for help honestly and I'll give you the shirt of my back. Lie to me and I'll laugh at your calamity. 99% of the wounded vets I know have to have it pried out of them, and most veterans won't push their vet status out of humbleness

• Like 10

Every time I have to get new plates for the truck I have to show my DD-214 if I want Vietnam Vet plates, not a big deal in my mind, unless someone has something to hide. I don't feel anyone is calling me a liar when they ask to see my DD-214, they just want to make sure I earned the right to display those plates on my truck. I had to give a copy to the Vietnam Vets Post when I joined them.

• Like 1

I got no issue calling somebody out. If they are a legit vet it's pretty easy to tell talking to them, but if I had doubts I'd ask for a DD-214, and would have no trouble producing mine if it's asked for. I have no respect or tolerance for people lying about military service. I've got brothers who are permanently scared and a few who never came home, and lying about it is disrespectful to them in the worst way. If she never graduated boot camp then she's not a veteran, and I'm not sure they even give DD-214's for failure to adapt in basic. Ask for help honestly and I'll give you the shirt of my back. Lie to me and I'll laugh at your calamity. 99% of the wounded vets I know have to have it pried out of them, and most veterans won't push their vet status out of humbleness

:up:

I have two honorable discharges; they are framed together and hanging on my wall. I would show those to anyone interested; but if they questioned my service and wanted to see my DD214 they could kiss my azz.

This isn’t stolen valor; she is trying to get help for her and her kid. I don’t know how the military is now, but when I was in there is no way someone would have been discharged in three days; so I do not believe the source that came up with that story.

Anyone that was in the military could have a discussion with her and tell if she was in the service. If that matters.
DD-214 or bust. There is also a way to request records of people who are totally seperated under the FOIA - if you wanted to go that route.

Simple things like asking her where she did AIT, what company she was/class number, where did she deploy to and with what unit - a quick google/wiki search will clear that up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

She claims to have been a combat medic. I haven't been able to find any evidence of that, but I have been able to find evidence that her ex-husband was stationed at Ft. Campbell.

That’s a pretty good skill set in an area that is loaded with medical facilities. Why does she say she doesn’t work?

I have two honorable discharges; they are framed together and hanging on my wall. I would show those to anyone interested; but if they questioned my service and wanted to see my DD214 they could kiss my azz.

This isn’t stolen valor; she is trying to get help for her and her kid. I don’t know how the military is now, but when I was in there is no way someone would have been discharged in three days; so I do not believe the source that came up with that story.

Anyone that was in the military could have a discussion with her and tell if she was in the service. If that matters.

We had a kid get booted from boot camp for failure to adapt after 3 weeks.
An honorable discharge certificate will prove service. And yeah, I don't give a damn if your trying to get free beer or keep your kids from being homeless, lying about military service is Stolen Valor. Period. I showed my DD-214 to have veteran added to my DL, and I've showed it to employers who asked. Most people probably won't question your military service unless you start using it as an excuse to get free shit or charity. So if you were to ask for money for whatever reason, and claimed disabled vet status to help your case, I think it's well within the bounds of reasonable to ask for proof. Just like I ask for proof whenever someone asked me to donate to help fire departments or anything else.

• Like 2

Tell her not to worry! Because if the military pays her 40 cents over SNAP requirements, that when she has the baby in December, she'll fall well below the requirements!  Since she is 'disabled' with one kid, she can currently make $2163 a month and get SNAP, in December she can make $2722.

Without knowing the entire story, I would assume she's lying to get freebies/pity.

Send them this link:  https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/humanservices/attachments/fs-test.pdf

Screen_Shot_2015_10_24_at_7_55_11_PM.png

• Like 1

She can also get on WIC, Unemployment, Montgomery GI Bill, If she REALLY had some TBI/PTSD or severe bodily damage - TSGLI, Wounded Warrior Project, VFW, AMVETS and American Legion all help out as well if what she is saying is true.

I never really mind the whole Stolen Valor thing - whatever, throw on ASUs with Special Forces tabs and Master MFF badges all you want - HOWEVER, lying about your service status to get freebies is a bit low. Vets are not really held with the highest esteem believe it or not in some places - and when someone lies and slanders like that, they downplay everyone who is active duty/retired/disabled/ETS'ed etc.

If she will not give you a DD-214 then you can ask for an ERB, ETS awards, DoD-199 (IIRC), MEB referral sheets, deployment orders, deployment awards - anything. Hell even a Coin or COA from a unit. She will HAVE to have something.

DA 2808, DA 2807-1 for her Med records when she did her Phase 1/Phase 2 physicals. She would have ACAP/SFL-TAP sheets. Installation clearing orders. 

There are dozens of supporting documents she SHOULD have.

lying about your service to get discounts/freebies is illegal as a mofo.  Although I think the bad publicity would be as bad if not worse than the criminal charges.

But doing it to get elected to public office seams to be OK in the eyes of the elite in Washington. :shrug:  :puke:

• Like 1

Sure they could. The story may be that she only spent 3 days training before they removed her and started her separation. It's far quicker and easier to kick a person out in the first 6 months of service. Remembering back to my Sand Hill days, I recall guys who were removed from training for various reasons (non-medical) who were gone from the unit in a week or two.

To the OP, it all sounds fishy. She is likely full of crap. Folks who don't make it past initial training tend to be the worst when it comes to making veteran claims. Even if she were, which she likely isn't, I still take issue with veterans looking for sympathy or handouts while guilting people by bringing up their service at every opportunity. There are vets with real problems, and those folks get drowned out by con artists looking to take advantage of good natured people who don't know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1