Speeding Ticket Tonight

GlockSpock

• Moderators

I can work through "lunch" and take an hour vacation if I decide to that day.

I called the clerk and she said that the driving school is $65 but whether or not there were court costs it could be a total of $175.  $65 would be cutting the fine in half and nice, even if I have to sit through a 4 hour class. If it was $175 then that is debateable at best because it is difficult to know exactly how it would affect insurance being on my record. Then there is of course the possiblity that I show up, pay court costs, and have to pay the citation amount as well becuase defensive driving school was denied.

If I decide to show up to court, the only thing I see myself saying would be "I don't deny that I was speeding, it was an honest mistake that I take responsiblity for, it is my first speeding citation, can it be forgiven or defensive driving school be taken as an alternative?". In my mind it shouldn't take 2 minutes of the judges time but I have no idea how long the process would actually take.

The most frustrating part, outside of having to wait until 12/9, is that they absolutely cannot tell you with any confidence whether or not there will be any court costs associated with the ordeal. I assume so, but I wish they would just say so.

Edited by CZ9MM

I called the clerk and she said that the driving school is $65 but whether or not there were court costs it could be a total of $175.  $65 would be cutting the fine in half and nice, even if I have to sit through a 4 hour class. If it was $175 then that is debateable at best because it is difficult to know exactly how it would affect insurance being on my record. Then there is of course the possiblity that I show up, pay court costs, and have to pay the citation amount as well becuase defensive driving school was denied.

If I decide to show up to court, the only thing I see myself saying would be "I don't deny that I was speeding, it was an honest mistake that I take responsiblity for, it is my first speeding citation, can it be forgiven or defensive driving school be taken as an alternative?". In my mind it shouldn't take 2 minutes of the judges time but I have no idea how long the process would actually take.

The most frustrating part, outside of having to wait until 12/9, is that they absolutely cannot tell you with any confidence whether or not there will be any court costs associated with the ordeal. I assume so, but I wish they would just say so.

Very possibly the judge sets the cost per case so they would not know.............jmho

You shouldn't have to go to court to get the option of traffic school.  Just call the city and ask them when you can attend a session and verify that the ticket will be dismissed before it gets to court.  As long as you show up when you say you will for traffic school, court shouldn't even happen.

• Moderators

Very possibly the judge sets the cost per case so they would not know.............jmho

Oh I'm very sure that this is the case. But frustrating because it truly means you are simply guessing and taking a chance whether it will be benificial or hurt you by doing so.

• Moderators

You shouldn't have to go to court to get the option of traffic school.  Just call the city and ask them when you can attend a session and verify that the ticket will be dismissed before it gets to court.  As long as you show up when you say you will for traffic school, court shouldn't even happen.

If you would like to try to take this course in lieu of paying a traffic citation, you must come to court on your court date to request it. The court will determine if you are eligible.

http://www.collegedaletn.gov/index.aspx?NID=156

Like I said, It all revolves around the Almighty Dollar and nothing more.........jmho

Not breaking the law is certainly cheaper. Best way to put the courts out of business is for people to stop breaking laws. Otherwise, the expenses of running the courts can't be compensated with unicorns farts and fairy dust. I'd prefer the law breakers foot as much of the bill as possible rather than those of us who obey the laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF
  • Like 1
Last time I went to traffic court was in Lavergne the judge came in told everyone who's ticket was for anything under 15 MPH of the speed limit you could go to driving school so go to the back of the room unless you have a CDL the rest stay seated they took everyone's name down that took that option once they all were out of the room he gave all of us that were left a suspended sentence for 6 months if we were back in his court room in that time we would have to pay both tickets worked out good for me to have a CDL that day Edited by raildog

Do not pay the ticket without first finding out if it's going on your driving record (MVR). The general sessions court clerk should be able to tell you this. I've never heard of paying a ticket before a court date and then signing up for driving school on your own. That's not going to work. Once you pay the ticket, the court is done with you and the damage is done. Generally a judge will allow driving school to keep your MVR clean. But you have to appear in court for that. Driving school usually costs as much as the court costs that you will be assessed, but at least your insurance company won't have an excuse to increase your premiums. And be careful with asking for legal advice on the Internet!

All moving violations, seat belt violations, and crashes reported through the state system are to be reported on your license. If you take the driving school route (some areas allow you to sign up prior to the court date and others require the judge to order it after appearance) it will only show as completed traffic school with no points assessed and no violation mentioned. The 133.75 mentioned by OP should include everything (fee, court costs, and state litigation tax) municipal courts without general sessions authority can't charge more than a certain amount for violation fees so the remaining is the other junk.

why did you give him your permit to carry, there is no permit needed to carry in a vehicle provided you are legally allowed to own a gun?

Unless you doubt you were doing 55 mph then why go to court to fight it? Take your lumps and move on.

I think Judge's can do whatever they want in their courtroom.

Because a smart man, whether required to or not, informs police of a legal weapon....especially at night. Why create a potential situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Because a smart man, whether required to or not, informs police of a legal weapon....especially at night. Why create a potential situation?

Exactly. I knew that when he ran my license he would likely if not assuradly see that I had a permit. If he came back at that point and asked if I had one, it may seem that I was trying to hide that fact from him. I did it because it seemed like it was a favor to the officer, not because I felt I was required to.

Exactly. I knew that when he ran my license he would likely if not assuradly see that I had a permit. If he came back at that point and asked if I had one, it may seem that I was trying to hide that fact from him. I did it because it seemed like it was a favor to the officer, not because I felt I was required to.

Or even worse....cop catches glimpse of gun and....um.....overreacts.

• Like 1

Hmm, it's nuts each city/county has a different process. Gotta make sure they get their money one way or the other.

Yeah that's crazy, my wife got 4 tickets within 12 months and never stepped foot in court.  Just did traffic school and driving probation.  Davidson/Williamson county just require you to log onto their website and sign up for online school.  Think the last one they made her attend an actual class though, but still never went to court.  Nothing went on the record.

True, because you never know what type of cop you're going to get.  I was pulled over in New Jersey a long time ago, and the cop acted like an out of control loony.  Last thing I would want is for that type of personality to think that I'm trying to hide what is otherwise completely legal.  Most cops aren't this way, of course, but everyone has met that one guy at some point.

• Like 1

I feel very fortunate to have had only 1 ticket over the years. 85 in a 70 reduced by a nice THP to 80 in a 70 which according to him at the time made it look better in court. Apparently 85 is wreckless driving whereas 80 you're just a speeding A-hole. He was correct, the judge was a black robed phallus who talked to me like I had intentionally ran down a child on crutches. Whatever, I done the only thing you could do which was bite my tongue, smile, pay the ticket, and then gladly accept the driving school option to keep it off my record.

For me it was worth every penny and while the school taught me nothing the sting of having to shell out that coin did :)

• Like 1

Request traffic school to keep it off your license record and off insurance. You probably have to go to court for that unfortunately.

Call the traffic court and see if you can request traffic school by submitting a request online or by mail.  I got one in south Georgia and sent a letter to the traffic court requesting that no points be assessed in exchange for a guilty plea.  It was one of those small towns that generates revenue by hammering the tourists on I-75.  Talk about lumps... the fine was over $300, but at least no points were assessed.  

If you really wanted to fight it, you would have to prove that the officer misread your speed, that his radar wasn't calibrated, or something like that.  Assuming the officer knows what he was doing, that would be a difficult sell.

• Moderators

Call the traffic court and see if you can request traffic school by submitting a request online or by mail.  I got one in south Georgia and sent a letter to the traffic court requesting that no points be assessed in exchange for a guilty plea.  It was one of those small towns that generates revenue by hammering the tourists on I-75.  Talk about lumps... the fine was over $300, but at least no points were assessed.  

If you really wanted to fight it, you would have to prove that the officer misread your speed, that his radar wasn't calibrated, or something like that.  Assuming the officer knows what he was doing, that would be a difficult sell.

I dont' want to fight it. I mean I put my cruise control on 55. It turned out to be a 40 zone.

exactly why tell anyone you have a gun?  It is irrelevant to the stop.  I am not going to pull it out, I have no plan to use it.  All it can do is ramp up a situation.

And just because I have a permit does not mean I am armed.  Should I inform them I have a permit but I am not carrying as well?

Anyone who is legally allowed to own a gun can have one in the car, if I was a cop I'd assume everyone does.

Edited by Mike.357

exactly why tell anyone you have a gun? It is irrelevant to the stop. I am not going to pull it out, I have no plan to use it. All it can do is ramp up a situation.

And just because I have a permit does not mean I am armed. Should I inform them I have a permit but I am not carrying as well?

Anyone who is legally allowed to own a gun can have one in the car, if I was a cop I'd assume everyone does.

Ramp it up? Wanna ramp it up? Don't tell him about it, and let him see it accidentally. There's your ramp up.....

I've informed several police about my CC. None of them have ever "ramped it up". Surprise, however, is never good when dealing with law enforcement. And a cop isn't just anyone.

I have never and will never automatically divulge that I have a permit or I am carrying. In every situation I've been in with LE they already knew I had a permit when they approached the car.

And I was under the assumption they approach EVERY traffic stop like the driver could be armed anyway.

• Like 1
I don't think it's a big deal to tell them, and do. Seen a video online where a ccl didn't tell them, they got out of the vehicle, gun showed in the belt and cop overreacted and situation escalated in 0.5 seconds.

Just don't see it as a big deal, cops already have enough stuff going through their minds, openly informing them checks two boxes off the list 1. You do have a gun 2. You were open/honest about it.
  • Like 1