Methinks I want an AK - Best Options?

I've bought and sold a couple of AK rifles over the years and now the bug has bitten me again. I'm trying to decide whether to try and build one using a Palmetto State Armory receiver and build kit or if I'm better off just buying one. I've built a few AR rifles from scratch, so I have a little gunsmithinging knowledge and above average mechanical ability. I know many of you are AK folks and I am hoping you might be able to give me some helpful insight into the build process and/or the reasons buying a completed rifle is the better option.
  • Like 1

I also want an AK but the price increase over the past few years has discouraged me from making a purchase. I should have bought one 3 years ago.

Yeah, I had a couple and let them go because I was more on the AR-15 kick, but now that I have more than a couple of them I am ready to give the AK another go. You can still get the WASR for a reasonable price and the PSAK kits seem to be a decent deal.  Been thinking about one of PSA's Zhukov builds.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
I would probably recommend the WASR for best value. Others will say the same.

There have been some rumblings about PSA using cast trunnions that I tend to agree with. No need to cut corners in that department.

Personally, I would like an Arsenal SLR-107FR if inclined to spent 1k on one...which I'm not.
  • Like 1
DDI or Arsenal. I'm sorry I want to like Century but they are nowhere in the same league. I'd stick with 7.62x39 instead of 5.45x39 just due to ammo availability (your mileage may vary). I know the new WASRs are an improvement but they are still not the same. I've gotten to shoot an RAS47 and a new WASR and the Arsenal is head and shoulders above them Century guns. I actually traded my Century for an Arsenal. That's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

DDI looks like a great option, especially since it's a local business.

I picked up a zhukmoe from DDI a few weeks ago. The fit and finish are really good. I'm very happy with it. I contemplated the WASR as well as the RAS. I'm glad I went with the DDI. Planning on trying to shoot it a little next week while I'm off. Prolly head up to Windrock with it sometime next week. Be glad to let you check it out.
  • Like 2

I picked up a zhukmoe from DDI a few weeks ago. The fit and finish are really good. I'm very happy with it. I contemplated the WASR as well as the RAS. I'm glad I went with the DDI. Planning on trying to shoot it a little next week while I'm off. Prolly head up to Windrock with it sometime next week. Be glad to let you check it out.

I made the "mistake" of buying a Century over a nicer AK. Although it was a nice gun it wasn't what I wanted so I traded it. The DDI guns are very nice but I'm a big Arsenal fan.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So, you can buy locally from them and not go through a distributor?

So, you can buy locally from them and not go through a distributor?

No I had to go through Atlantic Firearms. The gun store at Smoky Mountain Knife Works is supposed to be a dealer for them but I could never get them to help me. Fighting Sheep Dog is also a dealer for them but I didn't find that out until after I did my transfer there.
  • Like 1

after shooting my Saiga 7.62 this past weekend, I'm jonesing for a real AK too...also looking forward to what folks have to say

You have a real AK straight out of Russia! Convert it and enjoy.

The PSA's are nice but I can tell you I had to fit every part that went on the gun. Cut down the top cover, open up the recoil spring lugs, buttstock, handguards. The top cover and recoil spring lugs took quite a bit.

I just got the barreled receiver to try out. Nice gun, but just something to be aware of.
  • Like 2

You have a real AK straight out of Russia! Convert it and enjoy.

The PSA's are nice but I can tell you I had to fit every part that went on the gun. Cut down the top cover, open up the recoil spring lugs, buttstock, handguards. The top cover and recoil spring lugs took quite a bit.

I just got the barreled receiver to try out. Nice gun, but just something to be aware of.

I had no clue what you were talking about until I looked it up. Pretty cool in my opinion that you can buy a kit like that. Not quite building it but really cool for someone who wants to get more hands-on with the gun. Might get one myself for grins and messing around with.

after shooting my Saiga 7.62 this past weekend, I'm jonesing for a real AK too...also looking forward to what folks have to say

What are you talking about? They get no more "real" than Saiga! To me, anyway.

My next AK will come from DDI
  • Like 1

Get a yugo

Why the Yugo?  Ironically, one of the AKs I owned and sold was a Yugo underfolder, but wish I hadn't.  

I am thinking of selling off one of my AR builds to fund a new AK, and I could almost completely cover a new Yugo with what I think I could reasonably get for the AR I have in mind.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 1

Building an AK looks to be a much more in depth project than building an AR. I can only speak for me, but I'd have a hard time improving upon my lowly WASR.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2447_zps5335e62a.jpg.html]IMG_2447_zps5335e62a.jpg[/URL]

I've yet to see anyone shoot it without a smile on their face.

• Like 3

Why the Yugo? Ironically, one of the AKs I owned and sold was a Yugo underfolder, but wish I hadn't.

I am thinking of selling off one of my AR builds to fund a new AK, and I could almost completely cover a new Yugo with what I think I could reasonably get for the AR I have in mind.

Because you can't get a better factory built AK from people who build top tier AK's without an importer screwing it up.

Draw backs are that they are a bit heavier (built like tanks in a good way) and furniture is yugo specific.

Nothing wrong with a WASR. Bottom to top "tier" in AK's have little top do with reliability or functionality. Top tier simply have better finishes, furniture, and should have everything more straight and fit "tighter." Unlike AR's, fit has little to do with performance (for the most part).

I've seen just as many issues, if not more) with "top tier" and custom build AK's like Arsenals, Krebs, etc. Simply because they are tighter.
  • Like 1

Because you can't get a better factory built AK from people who build top tier AK's without an importer screwing it up.

Draw backs are that they are a bit heavier (built like tanks in a good way) and furniture is yugo specific.

Nothing wrong with a WASR. Bottom to top "tier" in AK's have little top do with reliability or functionality. Top tier simply have better finishes, furniture, and should have everything more straight and fit "tighter." Unlike AR's, fit has little to do with performance (for the most part).

I've seen just as many issues, if not more) with "top tier" and custom build AK's like Arsenals, Krebs, etc. Simply because they are tighter.

Bingo on all levels