School Me on Lowers and Uppers

Probably gonna order some lowers tonight. I talked to MP5_Rizzo about the if there are any real differences in lowers and he said no (besides Colt). I have also heard from numerous YT videos that it doesn't matter what lower is used because the lower is not where an AR15 would fail and that the upper is much more important. I need some advice before my dad and I make an order. The lower I was looking at was a PSA which I didn't think would be a problem. Who should I be looking at for uppers?

I suggest PSA all the way. I have built four guns, using three of their uppers, two being the premium line.

They make a fine rifle and is cost efficient. 

I however suggest the PSA branded items only. I am in the minority but I do not like the PTAC branded upper I received. It won't feed steel case at all. I built a cheap rifle to feed it cheaply with little care for it's welfare. It disappointed me.

• Like 1
The PSA stuff is fine. I also like the Anderson lowers, and got a handful of their enclosed trigger guard models for stoopid cheep awhile ago. I like not having to screw with installing the stupid trigger guard, and I like the look of the built in guard.

Anywho, you're right... lowers are pretty much lowers. I'd say, with all of the stupidity Obuttwad is pushing through, find whatever you think is the best deal and buy as many as you can afford. As cheap as they are today, you'll never lose your money. Buying more reduces the per item effect of the BG check, and see if your FFL might cut you a deal on multiple serials on the same transfer.

I have a few left right now, and just wish I had bought more when I made my last purchase.
PSA, Anderson, Spikes, or Aero all good right now it comes down to what you can find at a price you can afford I picked up two Aero Precision striped lowers today at guns and more in Smyrna Tennessee was looking for Anderson could not find any with out going out of my way and for $20.00 more I thought it was a good deal
PSA is good. I'd also check out Aero-Precision, recently bought 3 sets from them, excellent quality. There are differences, even with basic lowers. Usually it is in the quality of the finish and the consistency of the machining. I had one of 3 Anderson lowers with a slightly larger hammer pin hole. If you want the best(not most expensive), go with Mega and don't look back.

Some of the stuff online says Aero makes the PSA receivers as of a few years ago. I know there are only a handful of true forgers so very likely. PSA is good to go although I have been eyeing an actual Aero receiver set so I have a different rollmark in the safe.

As stated it basically comes down to which rollmark you like the best on the side, as long as you are talking about a forged lower.

If considering polymer or hybrid, even though the lower basically just holds the mag and FCG and not stressed during firing you still need to consider stress that would be impacted if you had to ever hit something with the buttstock (mortar the weapon, hit a barrier or person for some reason) as these will not hold up as well.

• 2 months later...

Hate to revive this thread but I am starting to build the ARs with my dad. I did a simple Google search and to build a AR15 and honestly I don't know where to start. I know the basics and I pulled up a schematic (https://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/Schematics~AR15) but I believe that I have confused myself even more. Need some help and advice on what I actually need to purchase. Thanks TGO. 

I've been in your shoes.  It can be confusing going in for the first time.  Here's what I did and it worked out great, I learned a lot, and in my opinion I got a nice rifle out of the deal. 

#1 Acquire a lower.  Stay away from polymer, no reason to go down that road to save $20, you are not a hobo.

#2 Buy a PSA rifle build kit.  It will have everything that you will need to complete the rifle when paired with the stripped lower, minus the magazine and sights. 

#3 Look up a video on Youtube about how to assemble the lower.  My upper came pre assembled, two roll pins and it's on. 

As far as sourcing parts...

1.  Are you an operator?

2.  Are you an accomplished 3 gun competitor looking to stay at the top of the game?

3.  Will this rifle be mostly used for shooting beer cans, varmints, carrying at public demonstrations and/or at your job as a mall security guard, I mean ninja?

If you answered "yes" to questions 1 or 2 you may be best served looking at some fancier brands.

If you answered "no" to questions 1 or 2 but "yes" to question 3 then PSA is a great choice for you as it is economical and generally of serviceable quality. 

• Like 4

I've been in your shoes.  It can be confusing going in for the first time.  Here's what I did and it worked out great, I learned a lot, and in my opinion I got a nice rifle out of the deal. 

#1 Acquire a lower.  Stay away from polymer, no reason to go down that road to save $20, you are not a hobo.

#2 Buy a PSA rifle build kit.  It will have everything that you will need to complete the rifle when paired with the stripped lower, minus the magazine and sights. 

#3 Look up a video on Youtube about how to assemble the lower.  My upper came pre assembled, two roll pins and it's on. 

As far as sourcing parts...

1.  Are you an operator?

2.  Are you an accomplished 3 gun competitor looking to stay at the top of the game?

3.  Will this rifle be mostly used for shooting beer cans, varmints, carrying at public demonstrations and/or at your job as a mall security guard, I mean ninja?

If you answered "yes" to questions 1 or 2 you may be best served looking at some fancier brands.

If you answered "no" to questions 1 or 2 but "yes" to question 3 then PSA is a great choice for you as it is economical and generally of serviceable quality. 

#1 The lowers acquired were polymer but they aren't mine so if they break I'm out nothing.

#2 That's where I was going to source parts from.

#3 In between friends and YT videos I'm sure I'll be able to figure the assembly out. 

As far as your last three points they may go through some rifle classes/training but will mainly be delegated to being a truck and varmint gun. The only things I saw a point in spending money on were iron sights and a trigger. 

• Like 1

There are many books that tell you how to put together an AR-15 in great detail. If you're close to a Barnes & Noble book store, they may have what you need in stock or get it for you quickly.

Having built a few myself, I suggest that you first acquire the necessary tools you'll need.  A good armorer's wrench that includes a spanner for the buffer tube castle nut, torque wrench, block set to protect the upper and lower receivers during assembly and a few other items.

I've built on Stag Arms, PSA, Anderson and Aero-Precision uppers and lowers. I've used blems when I could get them and honestly don't know what the blem is. ALL of them have performed well and without problems. I've used lower parts kits from PSA and CMMG. My BCG's are from various suppliers.

Calibers I own include .223/5.56, .25-45 and 7.62x39. (The 7.62x39 I bought as a complete upper sans BCG & charging handle from Anderson Rifles. Everything else I put together on it.)

My worst rifle? I used a cheap 16" M-4 profile 1:7 .223 barrel made by Mossberg and sold by JoeBob Outfitters. It was Melonited and I think that included the bore. Initially, it shot large "groups" so I cleaned the bore with JB Bore Brite really, really well. The groups magically shrunk to sub-MOA from the bench. Every AR I own will keep 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards from the bench but the jewel is one I built using a Wilson Combat 20" SS "Super Sniper" barrel with a Wylde chamber in .223.

Good luck building your rifle(s) and I'd like to know how they shoot once you're finished.

This is my Wilson Combat build on an Aero Precision lower and three targets shot at 100 meters (109 yards). The first one, top left, was for sight adjustment. SPP-210 powder is a Swiss powder that's like H-4198.

The AR-15 can be remarkably accurate.

[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/doubs43/media/AR%20Wilson%20Combat%20BBL/Aero_Precision_AR-15-1_zpso6w1lzpa.jpg.html]Aero_Precision_AR-15-1_zpso6w1lzpa.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/doubs43/media/AR%20Wilson%20Combat%20BBL/53Gr_SMK_21.5_Gr_SPP-210_100_Mtrs_zpsbmu8jydk.jpg.html]53Gr_SMK_21.5_Gr_SPP-210_100_Mtrs_zpsbmu[/URL]

• Like 1