Ruger Service Six Conversion

I searched but didn't find anything. 

I friend of mine has the Ruger Service Six in stainless. It is the .38 Special model. From the research I've done, I've noted that Ruger performed the exact same heat treatment on the .38 model during manufacturing that they did on the .357 model. I also know that some folks who have had the .38 model have had a good gunsmith bore the chambers out (lengthen) to that extra 1/10th of an inch required to chamber .357 cartridges. In other words, it is well established that the Ruger is perfectly suited to this and has no problem handling the higher pressure.

He has asked at one or two places in Clarksville about this and received the expected "Oh, that's impossible, can't be done" replies. However, we both know that this has been performed numerous times, and, as stated previously, the Ruger .38 cylinders received the exact same heat treatment as the .357 cylinders. 

What I need is a recommendation for a good gunsmith who would have knowledge of this procedure, and be willing to do it. After all, I'm not a gunsmith and even I know what needs to be done, I just don't have the equipment to do it. 

And just to cover this part, since it will be brought up: He knows that he could possibly find a .357 cylinder and have it fitted, but he's more interested in the other procedure, and so am I. 

And while I'm at it I might as well throw this one in here. I have a Smith Model 15-3 that needs some work (no, I'm not converting it :D) . I think there's a possibility that the crane is bent, but I don't know for sure. Anyone know where I could find some parts, or have a recommendation for a good revolver smith? I live kind of southwest of Clarksville, so my location is not really convenient to anywhere.

I appreciate the help on this.

While it may be possible, I wouldn't recommend it based solely on the fact that the Ruger Six series revolvers are gaining some collector interest. Many people, myself included, much prefer the old Six series Ruger to the GP-100 or SP101s made today. Prices on these older guns are steadily rising and some people seek out the .38 Special versions rather than the more common .357s.

The classic example being the Smith & Wesson .38/44s. This is a large N-frame revolver chambered in .38 Special. From the 1940s  up to about the 1960s  it was a common practice to re-cut the chambers to .357 and perfectly safe to do so. However today, finding such a converted gun cuts its value by up to one half. 

Modifying guns from their original configuration is always a loosing proposition. Not to mention that gunsmiths ain't cheap. Your friend would be much better off to just buy another gun. 

• Like 1

While it may be possible, I wouldn't recommend it based solely on the fact that the Ruger Six series revolvers are gaining some collector interest. Many people, myself included, much prefer the old Six series Ruger to the GP-100 or SP101s made today. Prices on these older guns are steadily rising and some people seek out the .38 Special versions rather than the more common .357s.

The classic example being the Smith & Wesson .38/44s. This is a large N-frame revolver chambered in .38 Special. From the 1940s  up to about the 1960s  it was a common practice to re-cut the chambers to .357 and perfectly safe to do so. However today, finding such a converted gun cuts its value by up to one half. 

Modifying guns from their original configuration is always a loosing proposition. Not to mention that gunsmiths ain't cheap. Your friend would be much better off to just buy another gun.

Oh, he's CONSTANTLY buying another gun. As far as he's concerned, he's not worried one bit about collector value. He'll never sell it anyway. But, yeah, that was one of my thoughts as well as far as the intrinsic collector value. I don't know why, but there's just something about the old dedicated .38 Special revolvers. I've been wanting a Six series myself, and I'm watching the prices steadily climb. I may, after all, try to talk him into getting another cylinder. At least IF he ever did want to sell it, the value wouldn't be ruined. Myself, I wouldn't think twice about doing it to a .38 SP101. 

I wouldn't mind getting ahold of one of the old 38/44s. I believe those came about during the Elmer Keith era when they needed a heavier frame for his nice hot .38 loads. Come to think of it, I have that old Keith load recipe somewhere around the house. Think I'll cook some of those up for my old Smith Model 15 (just kiddin :angel: ).

Yep, if he decides to do it, it's just a matter of milling out that extra 1/10th. I just don't have the equipment to do it. If he insists on doing it I want to make sure the chambers are properly throated. I don't know for sure if he'll ever go through with it, but I'm trying to prepare ahead of time. Edited by res308

Contact Marc at Gemini Customs. My only experience is with my 3" SP101 - I feel he created a modern "heirloom" and super bad compact combat revolver.

My buddy also has a GC 2" SP and 3" GP

Ya know ya can't say something like that and not put pictures up. :drool: