Machetes vs. shotguns

Sam1

• 2 weeks later...

I have no clue why any one would bring a knife to a gun fight but there are some stupid people out there..................jmho

Within 21 feet a man that knows how to use that knife and has the aggressiveness to move quickly and put it in to action is faster and probably more lethal than a gun. A big well trained guy getting into arms reach is hell on earth if he has a knife in his hand and murder on his mind

Sent from behind the anvil

Within 21 feet a man that knows how to use that knife and has the aggressiveness to move quickly and put it in to action is faster and probably more lethal than a gun. A big well trained guy getting into arms reach is hell on earth if he has a knife in his hand and murder on his mind

II don't doubt this but I will still put my money on the gun owner if he/she has any practice or training what so ever in confrontation type situations.

II don't doubt this but I will still put my money on the gun owner if he/she has any practice or training what so ever in confrontation type situations.

I carry a firearm, but just keep it in mind, even police officers practice under the 21 ft rule.

• Like 1

I carry a firearm, but just keep it in mind, even police officers practice under the 21 ft rule.

I am aware of that and there has been a few times in my life I have witnessed an idiot with a knife close or closer then 21 feet pop out the blade and the guy with a gun just open and reveal his weapon and that does cause the knife guy to hesitate a few seconds because he was not expecting a gun and that does in turn give the gun owner a few extra seconds. Not every time but many times it even discourages the knife guy to back away and forget the idea once the person gets a grip on their firearm...........jmho

• Like 1

I saw a video demonstration on this. It had a veteran street cop vs your standard street thug with what looked like a 3-4" fixed blade. The cop was already alert to him and still could not draw his sidearm until the thug started at around 21 ft away. Any closer and he had a knife in his chest before he cleared his holster. It was to demonstrate that any closer than 21 ft it is better to use hand to hand techniques than try to employ a firearm.
  • Like 1

I saw a video demonstration on this. It had a veteran street cop vs your standard street thug with what looked like a 3-4" fixed blade. The cop was already alert to him and still could not draw his sidearm until the thug started at around 21 ft away. Any closer and he had a knife in his chest before he cleared his holster. It was to demonstrate that any closer than 21 ft it is better to use hand to hand techniques than try to employ a firearm.

Unless your back is against a  wall you can always begin backing up while deploying your weapon to keep the distance somewhat more manageable. Might be your only chance but better then no chance..........jmho

With that said, I do know a police detective in Lockport, Illinois that had a bad guy walk up behind him one time and he could see him coming by a reflection in the window he was looking in and saw the knife and he shot the bad guy without ever clearing his holster completely. He carried in a Horizontal shoulder and just reached into his coat and fired his weapon taking the bad guy down. Ruined a nice coat but did the job. Folks up that way call him "Riggs" from movie Lethal Weapon around the station house.

I went to school with the guy and he said he knew he did not have time enough to clear, turn to shoot so he clear enough to shoot. He did receive a few slight powder burns on his side and arm but all minor. I think I have the story on my old Computer. I will try and find it and post it.

Edited by bersaguy