45 die hard on downstroke

I have a new Lee Carbide dies set in .45acp . With the expander die the case goes in good but is very hard to lower the ram and case. I looked on the Internet and some say it's normal and this and that. I don't use lube since it's a carbide die. The brass I'm using has only been shot once since new by me.
Anyone have any ideas ? I've only belled just around 40 cases with it so far. Edited by tercel89

The only thing carbide in a carbide set is the sizing die.  You may try putting a tiny bit of lube on the expander so it slides on in there a little easier.

Or....the expander may be a little rough.  Wouldn't hurt to take it out and polish it up a bit.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
Take a close look at the brass. I just picked up some Remington brass that was impossible to expand. When I looked the brass had some sort of sealant or lacquer inside it. Nothing I had would touch it except acetone. After soaking for a day or two it all came out. This is the only time I've seen this. Very strange...

Maybe not your problem but take a look. The inside of the cases was black and shiny almost looked like enamel or glass and very hard.
I use the Lee dies for 45 acp and have never had an issue. How much bell are you putting on the case? It could be that you are expanding the mouth too much and that is why it is not wanting to come out of the die. Have you tried decreasing the bell/backing the die out some to see if that helps?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I use the Lee dies for 45 acp and have never had an issue. How much bell are you putting on the case? It could be that you are expanding the mouth too much and that is why it is not wanting to come out of the die. Have you tried decreasing the bell/backing the die out some to see if that helps?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I am just expanding them out just enough to barely stick the bullets into the case. Just enough to where the bullets will stay when I put them on during seating them . I will try to back it out some tonight and try some lube and see what happens.

I am afraid to sand or polish any of the die in fear that Lee wont honor the warranty. I think it may be something simple. I will try some different things tonight when I get home from work  and let you guys know as soon as I try it. I'll try backing out the expander die , then lubing the cases , then slowly expanding it and see what happens.

I have read that some people say that after a certain amount of cases , the die gets smoother .

Edited by tercel89

I am afraid to sand or polish any of the die in fear that Lee wont honor the warranty. I think it may be something simple. I will try some different things tonight when I get home from work  and let you guys know as soon as I try it. I'll try backing out the expander die , then lubing the cases , then slowly expanding it and see what happens.
 I have read that some people say that after a certain amount of cases , the die gets smoother .

Don't sand or polish, it's a carbide so it would be difficult in the first place. Just make sure it doesn't have debris or imperfections in it. The expander also needs to be checked for smoothness, but I doubt raising the die will make a difference. If any of those components seem to have imperfections, send them back to Lee.

I called Lee Precision the other day and the guy said more than likely I had over-cleaned or polished my brass. He told me not to clean it so long and to try some lube on the inside of the cases that I cleaned too much. It worked. I cleaned these brass cases for around 4 hours so I guess I did clean them too much. I normally clean my 9mm cases around one or two hours .

So , you live and you learn :wall:

I did take some alcohol and clean out the inside area of the die. Maybe I cleaned it too much and that's why it's sticking ?

Tercel...

This is most likely the problem... Ya need a bit of lube on the expander ball...

leroy...