My employer started handing out pink slips this week...

TGO David

• Administrator

The Staff is already aware of this, so I don't mind sharing here.

Our company started making cuts this week. Unfortunately they are bent on seeing if they can successfully outsource IT to a company that has come highly recommended to them. One of the caveats is that they want this company to hire me so that they can contract me back here. Sort of a win-win, if it works out.

As of right now, my last day on the job as an employee of this company will be January 15th, 2009. I do not have anything guaranteed beyond that but I am getting a small severance that I hope will tide us over until I can find another job.

So if any of you know of a company who is hiring network administrators / network engineers around the Nashville area... let me know. I want to land on my feet if I can.

Lots of Microsoft certifications, 15 years in the industry and prior experience managing IT groups and working as a consultant. I've pretty much been there, done that, seen it all, and made money for my employers in the process. :hat:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tungsten...pm me...my wife is with corporate recruiting for a LARGE Hospital Corporation. I know they have a major undertaking to centralize med records and have been aggressively hiring in that department. You might want to check their website (I'll send it to you pm if interested)...if nothing there, I can give her a call and see if there is anything in the works.

Guest Astra900

Well, only a fool says "I know how you feel"

BUT, I know what it's like to feel security in a job, and then show up one day to find out you're getting the boot.

Lot of luck to you.

I hear people all the time bitching and moaning about their job (which I know you weren't :hat:) and I tell 'em; "Man's gotta job, he should shut up and hang on to it. " ANY work is getting hard to find nowadays. A solid job, no matter how crappy, is twice as valuable as it was just a few years ago.

Again: Lot's of luck to you.

• Administrator
My mom works for Caterpillar Financial. She says they hire IT pros pretty often. You have to submit a resume online. Let me know if you're interested and I'll come up w/ a link for you.

PM me. I'm investigating any and all options right now.

• Administrator
Tungsten...pm me...my wife is with corporate recruiting for a LARGE Hospital Corporation. I know they have a major undertaking to centralize med records and have been aggressively hiring in that department. You might want to check their website (I'll send it to you pm if interested)...if nothing there, I can give her a call and see if there is anything in the works.

I'd be interested in talking with her or with whomever hires for these things at her company. I'll send you my contact information.

Seems like more and more people I know are getting laid off.

Whattya mean "seems" like.

Body count increasing daily, nationwide.

I afraid that 1st of the year will see huge layoffs, that many companies for various reasons, some of them even possibly benevolent, will wait till then if they can.

- OS

I didn't get laid off. But I transfered with my wife to Memphis. I have been here since August. I am in the telecomm field and job prospects a slim. I had a company that was going to hire me, but backed out due to the "economy". They said they might try again mid 09.

Glad my wife has a good job or we would be up a real creek. I have friends in GA and SC who's companies are closing, as the man said, "it is gonna get worse before it gets better."

Man, it's bad! I changed jobs back in September, because I saw the writing on the wall where I worked. We went through a lay off in May and the ones that survived got their hours cut back to 32 a week. Then they had another round at the end of July. I survived that one too. I told my boss that I was going to have to start hunting soon. He thought that would be for the best. He ended up helping me get the job I have now.

He started at my new firm on Monday! This is the third shop we've worked together at. And our old firm just laid off again right before thanksgiving.

Good luck on the job hunt!

Guest VolDaddy

I just got laid off last December after 15 years in Memphis. Decided to move the family back to my hometown of Dyersburg. I have my foot in the door at a local factory. After the first of the year I am told they might hire me from the temp service. Glad I sold my house back in March. You just have to remember that God has a plan for all of us and things will work out. Hang in there.

I really hate to hear about this.

The company I work for has been proud of their record of 45 years without a single layoff. That record was broken last week when they started making cuts. They are being forced to cut 40-45 employees before the first of the year.

Being a single father, along with being towards the middle of the totem pole, I'm fairly confident I'll be keeping my job for the time being. I hope. Like many companies, they tend to be letting go of the folks who make the most money. Having only six years with the company, there are a few drivers making a bit more than myself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.