New RIA 22 WMR 1911?

DWARREN123

As hard as 22 mag is to find I'd have no interest just based on that.  Much more interested in a .22 TCM that at least has the ability to be reloaded.  Plus it's a way better round IMO.

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1
I'm a huge fan of the 22 mag round. It out performs its size on game. I have a pmr 30 and m77/22.

That said, the current scarcity of ammo followed by the huge increase in cost when you can find it, makes me stay away from any guns chambered in 22 mag. Heck, I bought a 17 hmr and said I would never do that because of my love of 22 mag. At the moment though, it's cheaper and easier to feed for range time.

Comparing short barrel 22LR & 22Mag velocities has little to do with the real advantage of the mag over the LR. The slightly better velocity of over 1000 fps and mostly the jacketed bullet over lead makes a definite difference. About 10 years ago the State Prison where I worked at needed to replace the bullet resistant glass surrounding the control room that runs the main sally port into the inner prison grounds. When the job was done we ended up with a few sections of this 1" thick lexan type of clear material. The range officer invited us to bring in anything under the sun to hit it with. And we did. 50 BMG to 22's. As pistol rounds go, all failed to penetrate the "glass". The big 45 ACP's would bounce off right back at the shooting line. 357's would embed into it. 22LR would put a slight burn mark on it while the jacketed 22 mag embedded like the 357. And that was with FMJ or HP mags.
That little copper jacket makes the difference when penetrating a hard substance. Im sure you guys have shot steel with 22LR and noticed all the liquid lead splash a 22LR makes on a plate. That jacket keeps the lead from liquefying on hard impact for just long enough to get a deeper bite of the target.
Back in the 80's I tested the Davis Derringers on phone book for penetration and hands down, the mag was clearly the winner over the LR in the same derringer.
Im not getting rid of any of my 22 mags!
An old 5 screw Taurus I bored out to mag.
22m.jpg
taurus002.jpg
taurus001.jpg
And my latest GS acquisition 8 shot 941
P1060738_zps3s0t8ocv.jpg

Edited by xtriggerman

Other than Armscor .22wmr is anyone seeing CCI or other reliable .22wmr ammo readily available on the shelves of gun shops?  I got rid of the 5 or 6 .22WMRs  I had because I could whack anything that needed whacking with either a .22lr or a .223/5.56 and found the .22WMR didn't really provide a viable cross over. Full disclosure: I do still have an older style (20ft ejection) H&R .22 Hornet, shells, cases, powder and primers, along with a nifty lot of factory .22 Hornet ammo.

But still, where can you find a reliable supply of non-Armscor .22WMR ammo for a decent price?

Other than Armscor .22wmr is anyone seeing CCI or other reliable .22wmr ammo readily available on the shelves of gun shops?  I got rid of the 5 or 6 .22WMRs  I had because I could whack anything that needed whacking with either a .22lr or a .223/5.56 and found the .22WMR didn't really provide a viable cross over. Full disclosure: I do still have an older style (20ft ejection) H&R .22 Hornet, shells, cases, powder and primers, along with a nifty lot of factory .22 Hornet ammo.

But still, where can you find a reliable supply of non-Armscor .22WMR ammo for a decent price?

A decent price? Those days are gone for the most part on any rim fire cartridges. Iv seen domestic 22mag run up to 22 bucks a box at the Knoxville shows. I just shrug it off. Back in the 90's I had a bad batch of Winchester Super X 22 mag 40g JHP. It was a half case of 2500 rds that I sent back to Win Olin about 10 years ago. They made a mistake and sent me a brand new full case of 5000 rds. To be honest I never called them on why I got twice as much ammo back..... The new stuff is all marked with the Western "W" rather than the Super X "X" stamp like all the bad stuff I had. The Super X box you see pictured up above is the newer W stamped stuff.
My son works the gun counter here at Walmart and they do get CCI in every few months but its gone in a matter of hours. I think once the retail price gets high enough, more production machines will eventually get put on line. That said, I still have the feeling a lot of this rim fire is going over seas and in wholesale storage. Until I see official shipping manifests from the various domestic makers, how can you not think somethings just not right here.
Look at how sad these prices are. Its a reflection of "limited supply" seeping into the US market.
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22-magnum

I had a AMT 22mag semi pistol and it did not work so well, fluted chamber I believe.
If RIA has a good working model I believe it may sell.
Like to handle/fire one.

The AMT fluted chambers were not the answer as you found out. The way to keep them running is to brush & swab clean the barrel after every box or 2. Each one has its own "chamber dirt limit" before FTE happens. That and aside from the loose barrels, I never bought one but I did buy a Grendle P30 just because it has an over the limit Clinton ban Hi Cap magazine capacity. Back then, if Clinton wanted to ban it, I wanted one!
That P30 ran well for about 5 or 600 rnds until FTE issues found its way into its fluted chamber also. Just what RIA is doing to make a reliable 22mag, Iv not read. The 22 mag IMO, is a wheel gun cartridge. Plain & simple. It will always need to be cleaned much more often than any other semi auto due to the cartridge design. CZ makes a nice rifle in the 22mag that appeared to be the most reliable fluted chamber 22mag available but they are not cheap.