Price for FFL to Ship

What do shops normally charge you to ship a handgun to another FFL? For example, if I sold a handgun on gunbroker what should I expect my FFL to charge me for their services? I know I can ship it myself, but I have heard an FFL can ship it for less than I can. Also, some FFLs will only accept shipments from other FFLs.

There are several different issues here.   

If you sell a modern gun outside of TN I'm pretty sure you are required by law to to ship FFL to FFL.  I'm not sure about C&R and Antique guns.

The next point is that shipping firearms is a big hassle if you don't have an FFL.  

Finally, the key is to find an FFL that wants shipping and transfer business.  I would know where to suggest here in Nashville, but it looks like you are in Chattanooga.  Many FFL's feel like anything shipped is business they have lost, so they charge very high prices and provide service with a snotty attitude.

My thinking is that pricing should be $20-$25 for the paperwork plus the cost of shipping, which is available at any of the carriers websites.  

I would also package the firearm properly other than sealing the box.  That way the FFL can verify that the gun is not loaded and that it is packaged properly.

You can use google to find out how to properly package the firearm.  The directions probably won't be specific to guns, but will give yo the idea.

1 hour ago, Pete123 said:

There are several different issues here.   

If you sell a modern gun outside of TN I'm pretty sure you are required by law to to ship FFL to FFL.  I'm not sure about C&R and Antique guns.

The next point is that shipping firearms is a big hassle if you don't have an FFL.  

Finally, the key is to find an FFL that wants shipping and transfer business.  I would know where to suggest here in Nashville, but it looks like you are in Chattanooga.  Many FFL's feel like anything shipped is business they have lost, so they charge very high prices and provide service with a snotty attitude.

My thinking is that pricing should be $20-$25 for the paperwork plus the cost of shipping, which is available at any of the carriers websites.  

I would also package the firearm properly other than sealing the box.  That way the FFL can verify that the gun is not loaded and that it is packaged properly.

You can use google to find out how to properly package the firearm.  The directions probably won't be specific to guns, but will give yo the idea.

Sorry Pete, but much of this is incorrect.

1) An individual can ship a firearm to an FFL in another state.  As Patton mentions, some FFL's say they won't receive one from an individual, but there is no law against it. 

2) An individual can ship a firearm via UPS (I always use UPS because I know their rules best and have never had an issue).  You go to a UPS customer center (not a UPS Store), just take a copy of the FFL for which you are sending it and they will ship it.  Cost depends on size of course, but the last rifle I sent was about $35-$40 for shipping and insurance.  Just put a copy of your DL in the box so they can log it.  I know FedEx will ship them as well.  Not sure if USPS will anymore, but they are always a hassle because the employees never know the rules.

If needed, I think the average cost of an FFL to ship it is about $35 on top of the shipping itself.  At least that is what I see most often (that may include some extra handling feeds for the seller to since they now have to go to their FFL).  I would put in my gunbroker ad that the receiving FFL needs  to accept from an individual or add $35 to have it shipped FFL to FFL.  Make the buyer pay for it as it is their decision to use an FFL that requires it.

That is what I have done many times with no issue.  I haven't had one person yet require me to send from my FFL although that may change the next gun I sell.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, bud said:

The UPS store, and particularly the store owner on Church street in downtown nashville, have been very accomodating. 

I am glad they will help you.  The UPS store in Franklin on Murfreesboro Rd won't ship anything even related to a firearm for shipment.   I went in this week to ship a barrel (no receiver, etc) and they wouldn't ship it.  They say UPS won't allow them to take anything related to a firearm which I believe is complete BS and you now help to confirm that.  I have never had an issue at the main customer center on Seaboard Ln, but I have had issues more than once at the "UPS Store".  Like anything, I think it comes down to individuals.

Edited by Hozzie

Had no issues myself when I shipped my Rem 700 back for the trigger recall through UPS, just had to take it to the hub not one of the stores.  I also shipped a shotgun through Fedex, but went to Nashville's hub for that one.  I think the hub is the way most will accept gun related items, even ammo.  I shipped some back from Denver, I had to show them their own web page to get them to ship as packaged (labeled ORM D) but it shipped.  The problem comes in when trying to ship from individual to individual (in state) or to yourself out of state, though you can legally do it, some won't take it.

Most UPS stores are not owned by UPS. Many of them have policy's that apply only to that store but do not reflect actual UPS policy. If a "UPS Store" won't take it go to a service center or try another location of the "UPS store".

Thanks everyone. This confirms everything I know about the shipping laws. I was just kind of wondering what most people were paying their FFL to ship firearms for them. I was wondering if the old legend that FFLs can do it cheaper through the USPS.

2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I am glad they will help you.  The UPS store in Franklin on Murfreesboro Rd won't ship anything even related to a firearm for shipment.   I went in this week to ship a barrel (no receiver, etc) and they wouldn't ship it.  They say UPS won't allow them to take anything related to a firearm which I believe is complete BS and you now help to confirm that.  I have never had an issue at the main customer center on Seaboard Ln, but I have had issues more than once at the "UPS Store".  Like anything, I think it comes down to individuals.

If it's not an actual firearm you don't have to say anything to the shipping company. Btw, never go into a ups store and have them pack stuff because you will pay a very high list price. There is a way to use papal to ship ups at the eBay discount rate (10-15% off list)

6 minutes ago, Patton said:

Thanks everyone. This confirms everything I know about the shipping laws. I was just kind of wondering what most people were paying their FFL to ship firearms for them. I was wondering if the old legend that FFLs can do it cheaper through the USPS.

You can ship rifles through USPS to ffls (not sure about in state to someone or to yourself ) but you cannot ship handguns via USPS, only ffl's can. When shipping ups or FedEx you are supposed to ship via the fastest method (normally priorty overnight) but that's their rule, not law. The whole shipping of firearms is messed up.

38 minutes ago, Sidecarist said:

Most UPS stores are not owned by UPS. Many of them have policy's that apply only to that store but do not reflect actual UPS policy. If a "UPS Store" won't take it go to a service center or try another location of the "UPS store".

My UPS store in Murfreesboro on  S. Rutherford Blvd is the same way.  They wouldn't even let me ship some AR magazines, instead telling me I needed to take it to the service center.  I think they just don't want the liability that a "sue em' all" lawyer might bring, or to dwell into an area of the law they aren't comfortable with.  Considering these are franchised small businesses with limited time and resources, I can respect that.

21 hours ago, Patton said:

What do shops normally charge you to ship a handgun to another FFL? For example, if I sold a handgun on gunbroker what should I expect my FFL to charge me for their services? I know I can ship it myself, but I have heard an FFL can ship it for less than I can. Also, some FFLs will only accept shipments from other FFLs.

How much insurance? 

If you're looking for a cheaper way to ship a handgun, check out www.shipmygun.com.  It's an affiliate of Bud's that will sell you an UPS overnight shipping label for a lot less than what you'd pay at ups.com.  The same package that would have cost me $78 (with insurance) on ups.com cost $59 on shipmygun.com.  The only hassle is that the receiving FFL has to be registered with shipmygun (or Bud's).