AK Enthusiasts

I looked at AK's but decided to go for a CZ vz 58 instead. Not because I'm a CZ fanboy (although I am), but after research and reading/seeing reviews, I'm just more intrigued by a vz 58 than an AK. (That's not to say there won't be an AK in my future though.)

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Obiwan said:

I looked at AK's but decided to go for a CZ vz 58 instead. Not because I'm a CZ fanboy (although I am), but after research and reading/seeing reviews, I'm just more intrigued by a vz 58 than an AK. (That's not to say there won't be an AK in my future though.)

The CZ's are awesome! Only "drawback" is that it is not an AK with AK mags and parts. That being said many guns come on the market everyday that fit that bill and the CZ is one of those.

On 6/20/2016 at 3:50 PM, dcloudy777 said:

Fun range toys, and I wouldn't feel unarmed fighting with one... but thoroughly outclassed by the AR-pattern gun for social purposes.

Ergonomics are terrible, factory sights are terrible, optics mounting is a compromise at best, accuracy is marginal (mainly because almost all 7.63X39 ammo is cheap garbage.)

Since most non military "social purposes" fights in the US are LESS than 25 yards, the accuracy is more than you'll ever need (even a 4" at 100 yd gun is a 1" at 25 yard gun), the mag holds more than you'd likely ever shoot (most civilian use of rifle goes less than 4 rounds) , the sights are simple and are a notch and post like your pistol , the 7.62x39 HP, SP and plastic tipped hunting bullets (like CorBon,Winchester, Hornady, Federal, etc) are all accurate and perform well on people sized game, and the AK will still run when it is filthy if you are not very fastidious about cleaning your gun and an $89 ultimak allows you to mount an aimpoint micro without changing the balance of the gun if you feel the need for an optic. 

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Obiwan said:

Great gun. I really want one, but bear in mind, this isn't an AK. The only thing it has in common is the overall look. You can't even use AK mags. Still, it's a very well made gun. CZ makes great guns. 

5.45?

I have both an AKM and a 74.  While I like the idea of the 7.62 x 39 round, it just is not that much fun for me to shoot.  Sure, it is big, reliable, proven, etc., and really slams those steel targets, but I also have to have a good cheek weld or a day of shooting may give me AK cheek.  Even Rob Ski uses that big after market muzzle brake to make those 5000 round torture tests easier.  OTOH, the 5.45 is simply easy to deal with.  I notice very little recoil or muzzle jump whether the brake is on or not (took it off several times just to see).    The other comparison of the calibers that no one talks about much is the weight of full mags.  Several full 7.62 mags are just heavy, especially the bombproof metal surplus ones. Everyone talks about getting an AKM for when the SHTF.  Well, a SHTF ammo load of 7.62 is going to be a real load.

As I said, I have both and want to keep both.  If I come across another AKM that I like, then I will have two of them.  My point is just that for shooting enjoyment, I grab the 74 every time.

• Like 1
On June 25, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Sniper23 said:

The more I look at AKs, the more theyre growing on me. Anyone know where I can find a Wasr 10 at a decent price?

One good reliable online source for all price levels of AKs is Atlantic Firearms. But, they have posted this recently ...

Due to the recent shootings and talk of new gun control we are receiving a large number of orders and email inquiry's . As of Wed 6/22 we will be suspending sales to allow our shipping and FFL Bookkeeping to get caught up. We do hope to resume sales the week of 6/30. Thank you for your understanding during this busy time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2016 at 5:57 PM, Obiwan said:

Okay, I guess I won't be joining the AK club.....

'cause I brought home a CSA vz 58 today. :) 16" carbine with the fixed "beaver barf" stock (wood-impregnated plastic furniture, all colors match), original new-in-box with sling, 2 mags, cleaning kit. Looks indeed unused (except test fire). Paid more than I wanted to, but she is a beauty. Will get her cleaned tomorrow and broken in this weekend.

• Like 3
On 6/22/2016 at 5:57 PM, Obiwan said:

1 hour ago, Obiwan said:

Okay, I guess I won't be joining the AK club.....

'cause I brought home a CSA vz 58 today. :) 16" carbine with the fixed "beaver barf" stock (wood-impregnated plastic furniture, all colors match), original new-in-box with sling, 2 mags, cleaning kit. Looks indeed unused (except test fire). Paid more than I wanted to, but she is a beauty. Will get her cleaned tomorrow and broken in this weekend.

I put one in layaway Tuesday let us know how it goes at the range.

Edited by Esko 270
2 hours ago, Sniper23 said:

I've been researching the Wasr 10 lately trying to find one at a decent price. However, I've stumbled upon a Yugo M70b1 that I can pick up for less than $600. Would this be a good buy?

I think so. That underfolder in the classifieds here is sweet. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sniper23 said:

I've been researching the Wasr 10 lately trying to find one at a decent price. However, I've stumbled upon a Yugo M70b1 that I can pick up for less than $600. Would this be a good buy?

If Ak's are M1A2 Abrams (tank), then Yugo M70's are German Leopard 2A7's. Great guns, well-built top shelf quality, CHF barrel. Drawbacks: uses only Yugo pattern furniture and some parts are Yugo specific, barrel is not chrome lined.. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Saiga in 5.56 that I love.  I converted it over to the military look and kept it 922r compliant.  Love shooting it! Others that have tried it out, love it too.  It loves the cheap steel cased rounds that my AR hates too!  Another plus!!!  But my go to home defense gun is a Mossy 590.  Can't beat them with a stick IMO.

On 7/7/2016 at 10:27 PM, Esko 270 said:

I put one in layaway Tuesday let us know how it goes at the range.

Only got to shoot her today. She shoots really nice. I haven't shot an AK before, so I can't make a comparison. But to me, it shoots really smooth. Barely any recoil (Having started on, and still shooting shotgun, perhaps my perception of recoil differs). Not much muzzle climb either, probably due to the muzzle brake I added. With iron sights and fogged up safety glasses (no fan indoors at OnTarget today, it was brutally hot), 3" group standing, 2" group supported (not rested) a 25 yards. I think I can do better than that. This was a quick function check. (Did I mention it was hot? lol). The v 58 is small. While I like the traditional look, I may replace the furniture with an adapter for a Zhukov folding stock and better hand guards. Alternatively, someone does make wood furniture for it, which is larger than the original. I'm liking that gun though, glad I bought it.

Sorry to hijack the AK threat. I hope you guys will tolerate its cousin. :)

Also, sorry for the crappy pics.

SANY0008.JPG

SANY0009.JPG

Edited by Obiwan
  • Like 4