I BBQ'ed a deer leg

tercel89

I finally put my rear deer leg on my BBQ pit today.I shot this deer last November and butchered all the meat and left this leg intact and froze it. I rubbed it down with my homemade rub and let it set for 2 days. I made my own pit the old school way where I burn wood in a barrel and shovel the wood coals to my pit which is a pit made of concrete blocks and a metal grate. I use old plywood for the roof and the front door . I have cooked on it for around 4 years now and I am always learning. Here are some pictures of the leg before when it was raw , then with rub , and then done with some slices from it . I don't think I could ever "pull" it like I do my normal pork when I cook it on here .

deer1_zpsqzgkrgz6.jpg

deer3_zps2zeb8wxw.jpg

deer4_zpsbchmufhm.jpg

Edited by tercel89

Very nice looking cut of venison. I love the stuff.

I've never been able to smoke any that was truly tender, adding moisture, like a can of water with sliced apples helps...but only so much. At least in my experience.

Now slow roasting venison in a cast iron dutch oven? Damn right! :up: 

Save us a slice will ya? :)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, XxthejuicexX said:

I hope it was good. I would think a venison would be to lean to smoke. 

Yeah almost too lean for it . I know some people use beef fat or pork fat and cover the deer with it to keep it moist but I was trying to keep it strictly all deer.

9 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

Yeah almost too lean for it . I know some people use beef fat or pork fat and cover the deer with it to keep it moist but I was trying to keep it strictly all deer.

They tell me it works well to wrap the spider web looking glob of fat that surrounds the stomach around a large cut of meat like that to keep it moist while cooking. I've never tried it myself, but it might be worth a shot.

Looks good!  I tried smoking some venison once and it did turn out kind of dry.  I'm thinking next time I'll probably kind of basket-weave wrap it with bacon.

On 9/17/2016 at 6:18 AM, prag said:

Very nice looking cut of venison. I love the stuff.

I've never been able to smoke any that was truly tender, adding moisture, like a can of water with sliced apples helps...but only so much. At least in my experience.

Now slow roasting venison in a cast iron dutch oven? Damn right! :up: 

Save us a slice will ya? :)

The dutch oven sounds great.  The last venison I cooked I cubed some into 'stew meat ' type cubes and then cooked it in a cast iron pot (more or less a dutch oven type pot without the feet and dished-in lid) hanging over a fire.  I did it sort of 'country boy beef bourguignon' style.  Sauteed some onion in the pot first then added the venison.  Browned the meat then added tomato paste, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and a beer.  Let that braise/stew over the fire and the meat got pretty much falling-apart tender.  I made a (canned) peach cobbler dutch-oven style at the same time.  Yep, about time to do that, again.

It would be really nice to have venison from a deer I shot, myself.  Oh, well, at least someone or another gives me a deer from time to time and I do process them, myself.

Edited by JAB