Kerosene heaters. Any suggested brands?

When a kerosene heater "soots up" and it is bad, real bad so much so that I'll never use another one ever again, I kept mine well maintained too, cleaned thoroughly and replaced the wick & bought new kerosene every fall.

Anyway I switched to a propane-fueled Mr Heater portable buddy, it's a lot safer than my kerosene heaters were, so much so that I even have zero qualms using it in a large tent, very little maintainence, etc, price to run it is slightly higher but the ease of use & safety aspects are definately worth it IMHO.
  • Like 1

We have a [url=http://www.basspro.com/Mr-Heater-Big-Buddy-Propane-Heater/product/64858/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=64858] Mr.Heater Big Buddy[/url] that's nothing short of outstanding, imho. We also have the attachments and hose for large canister propane use.

I would like to have a kerosene heater for the sake of redundancy though. I have had and use one quite a bit back in the mid-80's when I lived in the Midwest. I never had any issues with it, but I can't even begin to recall the manufacturer.

I'm looking forward to the recommendations and reviews.

We have a Mr.Heater Big Buddy that's nothing short of outstanding, imho. We also have the attachments and hose for large canister propane use.

I have the same heater.  I've only had it out of the box to verify that it works.  I've also got the hoses for connection to a 40lb tank but haven't bought another cylinder yet.  Given expectations of the coming winter, I probably should.  The "grand plan" is to install some vent free gas logs as a no electricity heat source but haven't gotten there yet. 

I've always been leery of kerosene heaters.  Can't stand the smell and sure don't want it in my house, but perhaps the newer ones are better.  I'd also like to hear some recommendations.

• Like 1
Welp I used kerosene heaters as supplimentary heat sources for a lot of years without any issues, then one night I woke up & I couldn't breathe, it was as if my lungs were on fire, I couldn't see it was as if my eyes were on fire, I stumbled out of bed, grabbed my wife & kids, who were also blinded & choking and escaped to the freezing cold outside.

Seems that the kerosene heater had sooted up & filled the house with what essentially felt like tear-gas it is a very toxic smoke, burns any soft tissue exposed to it like crazy, anyway the house was uninhabitable for a couple days until it had completely aired out.

All of my furniture, clothing, etc had absorbed that kerosene soot smell & had to be washed multiple times, the walls had blackened & had to be scrubbed down & repainted, the carpet had to be replaced, etc.

So as you can easily understand I simply refuse to use kerosene heaters anymore, in fact I tossed both of my kerosene heaters in the garbage & went out & bought that Mr. Heater portable buddy and have been happy with it for the last 5 years or so that I've been using it.

I normally use the 1# bottles which I also use for a couple other things anyway so I have a lot of them, but to save a bit of coin I refill them from the larger tanks like what is used for outdoor gas grills, or you can run them straight off of the larger tanks, but having that large of propane tank inside the house makes me nervous.

The model that I own is the smaller, more portable one which if I recall correctly delivers 6hrs of run-time @ 4000btu on the low setting & 3hrs of run-time @ 9000btu on the high setting, the larger models of course have more btu output but I wanted something I could take camping with me more easily as well as heat the house incase of a power-outage or furnace breaking down or something.

I highly recommend the propane powered Mr. Heater heaters over kerosene heaters, not only are they safer, they are a lot less hassle w/regards to maintain & only slightly more expensive per btu to operate, especially iffin you re-fill the 1# bottles &/or use the 20# tanks.
  • Like 1

That's part of my aversion to kerosene heaters.   A coworker's ex-wife (and mother of his son) wasn't so lucky.  They found her and her boyfriend dead in a cabin from CO poisoning due to using an "outdoor only" kerosene heater indoors.  I would assume that new ones would have an automatic shut-off feature, and you absolutely should have a separate CO detector near the heater. 

About 4 years ago I had an issue with a kerosene heater and it ended my use of them. Kerosene prices have gone out of sight now also. I purchased a Sun Rite made by Mr Heater that fits directly on top of a 30lb bottle of Propane. It has a single burner on top and I tested it that winter when i got it and I live in a cabin that is 1050 Sq feet and it kept my house warm on a day when temps outside was 10 degrees above zero. Since them I have purchased 5 more 30lb tanks and will get another one this year. The tanks work on my gas grill also. I also found out that instead of exchanging tanks when one runs out I can get a 30lb bottle refilled at Tractor Supply for 10 bucks so I just keep them refilled that way. The only thing is says on the Mr Heater is to make sure there is adequate ventilation which is 3 windows open two or three inches in different parts of the house. I actually got it for emergencies in case of power outage because I heat with natural gas on central unit but blower does not work with power out.  I am looking at buying a Coleman camper cook stove that operates on the 1 lb bottles just for emergencies if power goes out. Been planning on doing that for a couple years now and keep forgetting to get one but going to make a point of it this month. I already have 4 Coleman  propane lanterns and 10 1 lb full bottles for them and extra mantles. I guess I'm trying to be a Boy Scout and trying to always be prepared.......... :rock:  :rock:  :rock:  :rock: 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I don't know how to start a new topic but I have a question.

My wife is diabetic. In the event of a major shutdown or a bug out situation, does anyone know of an alternative to insulin?

Insulin is useless unless refrigerated and would be very hard to get, as any other drug.

I have heard that cinnamon can work but I really haven't a clue.

My wife is diabetic. In the event of a major shutdown or a bug out situation, does anyone know of an alternative to insulin?

Insulin is useless unless refrigerated and would be very hard to get, as any other drug.

There's really no effective substitute for insulin. 'Fraid best one could do is go severely low carb and hope the SHTF doesn't last longer than you do.

I'm not up on the other drugs in pill form some folks can use short of starting insulin, maybe they could help in a pinch?

(you start a new topic by entering a forum topic area, click on Start New Topic in black box at top right or bottom right in forum)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 months later...
A fine night to restart old threads...

I did end up getting a mr heater as it is easy for my wife to deal with if I am not here.

But, yesterday I just couldn't stand it and went to TSC and picked up a kerosene heater just in case. So now I have redundancy...

I tolerate the cold really well but the older I get the more I just want to be comfy...

There was about 15 at the TSC in Franklin. They all went out the door in about 15 minutes.

Mark

i pickup two used ones about 20 years ago.  used them several times each year.  never done anything to them, just put in fuel and run.  good heat in the work shed and basement.  no smell, no soot.  get the flame right and heat on.  the only thing is the fuel has gone up, but what fuel has not.  

There's really no effective substitute for insulin. 'Fraid best one could do is go severely low carb and hope the SHTF doesn't last longer than you do.

I'm not up on the other drugs in pill form some folks can use short of starting insulin, maybe they could help in a pinch?

(you start a new topic by entering a forum topic area, click on Start New Topic in black box at top right or bottom right in forum)

- OS

OS is correct that there really is no substitute for insulin ...

If your wife is a type 1 diabetic (her body just doesn't produce insulin), there isn't much else out there that would help.

If your wife is a type 2 diabetic (either is desensitized to insulin, or doesn't produce enough insulin), there are some things that might help.  There are several drugs on the market (metformin, glipizide) that help control glucose outside of using insulin directly, but honestly the best option for most type 2 diabetics is weight loss and diet control.  

However ... I will say that insulin isn't exactly "useless" without refrigeration.  It certainly doesn't do well in very hot or cold temps, but out at room temperature its fine for awhile (for proof, this ADA article says for travel it doesn't matter if insulin is refrigerated: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/medication/when-you-travel.html).  It certainly is "preferred" to be refrigerated, but if SHTF, there's a lot of other things that would be "preferred" over refrigerated insulin.  I'd keep a couple extra vials around, and hopefully if SHTF, things will be back to normal before the supply runs out.

• Like 1

To keep things cooler than would normally be do this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pot-in-a-Pot-Refrigerator

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Pot-in-pot_cooler

OS is correct that there really is no substitute for insulin ...

If your wife is a type 1 diabetic (her body just doesn't produce insulin), there isn't much else out there that would help.

If your wife is a type 2 diabetic (either is desensitized to insulin, or doesn't produce enough insulin), there are some things that might help.  There are several drugs on the market (metformin, glipizide) that help control glucose outside of using insulin directly, but honestly the best option for most type 2 diabetics is weight loss and diet control.  

However ... I will say that insulin isn't exactly "useless" without refrigeration.  It certainly doesn't do well in very hot or cold temps, but out at room temperature its fine for awhile (for proof, this ADA article says for travel it doesn't matter if insulin is refrigerated: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/medication/when-you-travel.html).  It certainly is "preferred" to be refrigerated, but if SHTF, there's a lot of other things that would be "preferred" over refrigerated insulin.  I'd keep a couple extra vials around, and hopefully if SHTF, things will be back to normal before the supply runs out.

I've started an "Insulin thread" for storage and questions in the prep forum... click HERE for it.

This is too important a topic and too wide ranging to derail this thread.

Bear in mind with those adapters that you are not supposed to use larger than a 1lb cylinder inside your house (I'm not personally telling you not to). Propane is poisonous and has no odor.

http://www.mrheater.com/faq.aspx?id=22

With that said, I have one of those heaters myself and find this very useful

41ZBoq4Io%2BL._SY300_.jpg

Lets you refill a 1lb tank from a bigger cylinder. I had to go to the ends of the earth to find mine but they're available lots of places now.