Semi Scientific examination of 45 ACp from a pistol caliber carbine

zgunbear

It is a very semi scientific examination of .45 from a 16 inch barreled carbine. I was shooting at Charlie Haffner's range Sunday and decided to see if a 16 inch barrel makes a difference with .45 acp. First I shot my handloads from my Smith and Wesson 625 over the chrono and the velocities ranged from 841 fps to 856 fps. With a locked breech semi auto the velocities would be higher that from a revolver. Unfortunately the chrono did not have a recall feature and I did not write down the numbers.  I then shot the same handloads through my Mauser converted with a Rhineland Arms kit and they velocities ranged from 950 fps to 961 fps.

I have read many comments articles and blog posts that stated .45 acp would not gain velocity out of a carbine barrel. Their opinions were that the powder would all burn in the first 10-12 inches of barrel. Many have doubted that the cartridge would be effective at 100 yards.

I can't say either way, however once I figured out the drop I was able to put them into a Dirty BIrd silhouette with boring regularity. Unfortunately there was a very gusty wind from straight down range Sunday so my rounds were all over the target. I would not want someone shooting at me with a .45 acp carbine at that range.

Now the .45 Mauser carbine is a good 50 yard gun. It has no felt recoil due to the weight of the gun.

In two weeks I will repeat using my Glock and Just Right Carbine with some other types of factory .45 ammo

The powder most likely IS all burnt by the time the bullet travels 10". But pressure will decrease only as a result of the extra space behind the bullet until it leaves the muzzle.
Most tests have shown no increase in velocity of USGI ammo after 12" barrel length.
I have read other articles testing the same thing. In some cases, the bullet actually does slow down after a certain barrel length. I imagine it will depend on factors like powder type, bearing surface and barrel condition.

That may be something you can factor into your next round of tests. Fast vs slower powder. Light vs heavy bullets.

Every cartridge is going to have a barrel length "sweet spot" at which all of the powder is burned, and no energy is able to be added to the bullet.  Any additional barrel length beyond that is actually going to remove energy through friction, and (albeit slightly) decrease velocity.  Obviously this length is going to be dictated by many factors... mainly the amount of powder and the burn rate.

Every cartridge is going to have a barrel length "sweet spot" at which all of the powder is burned, and no energy is able to be added to the bullet. Any additional barrel length beyond that is actually going to remove energy through friction, and (albeit slightly) decrease velocity. Obviously this length is going to be dictated by many factors... mainly the amount of powder and the burn rate.

Almost. You will still get increased velocity after all the powder is burnt. As long as the pressure behind the bullet is able to overcome the force of friction, then you still can get increased velocity. I'm betting it is probably only a couple of inches at most.
I have seen that for most full power loads that I shoot the sweet spot is in the realm of 15-16". BTW I like the Mauser camel gun a lot also the Enfield. The best use of these formats in my opinion are the suppressed versions. I like throwing concrete blocks at targets quietly.

I always wanted some sort of .45acp carbine, one that would handle +P loads with no problem. Wonder if the sweet spot/barrell lenght would be the same as is for standard pressure loads, seems that it would be a little more length for +P.

I always wanted some sort of .45acp carbine, one that would handle +P loads with no problem. Wonder if the sweet spot/barrell lenght would be the same as is for standard pressure loads, seems that it would be a little more length for +P.

Mech Tech CCU should handle +P. Maybe even .45 Super. I have one in .460 Rowland. Ask the manufacturer first, of course.
  • Like 1

I always wanted some sort of .45acp carbine, one that would handle +P loads with no problem. Wonder if the sweet spot/barrell lenght would be the same as is for standard pressure loads, seems that it would be a little more length for +P.

The Rhineland arms kit are a good way to do it. All you need is a large or small ring mauser action and the right kit and you can put it together in an afternoon.

• Like 1

The Rhineland arms kit are a good way to do it. All you need is a large or small ring mauser action and the right kit and you can put it together in an afternoon.

That's a good one too. I have a Lee Enfield conversion. It took me longer than an afternoon unfortunately.
  • Administrator

Dang wish I had known. I am there every Sunday it is open Charlie lets me help out and hang out

Yep.  That was me in the khaki TGO hat with the VP9, with my wife.  We were just there to wring it out a little.