Dickson County Deputy killer on the loose

3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I believe killing a police officer should be treated no different than killing a janitor. I'm guessing, however, that they wouldn't have spent nearly the time and effort going after this guy had he killed you or me.

Well sure, wouldn't you defend your family more than a stranger?  

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Omega said:

I've been thinking long and hard on this one.  One one side, I see your point, murder is murder, but then I think, isn't killing a police officer not only murder, but an attack on society, and the rule of law?  Most murders are usually between individuals who know each other, or are in the same game, drugs, gang, domestic etc. A police officer is there to keep the peace, for the rest of us.  He may settle disputes now and then, but mostly there to keep us civil.  Attacking that not only commits a crime, but also erodes society a bit. And I must add, the same goes for killing anyone in any public office, and of course this is only when done while in the line of duty.

While I understand the intention of this line of thinking, in practice I believe it has a terrible second order effects. It creates a stratification where the lives of ‘public servants’ (a term that seems to translate more and more as ‘public masters’) are worth more than the lives of others. When you start down that road of comparing the relative value of human lives, it leads to very, very bad places. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I believe killing a police officer should be treated no different than killing a janitor. I'm guessing, however, that they wouldn't have spent nearly the time and effort going after this guy had he killed you or me.

That's what I was getting at. If you kill a cop, they will use every resource at their disposal to catch you. If one of us gets killed, meh. I can't recall the last time someone killed a cop and got away with it other than a KPD officer back in the 90's. I guess if you kill a cop you're really not expecting to live much longer. 

47 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

While I understand the intention of this line of thinking, in practice I believe it has a terrible second order effects. It creates a stratification where the lives of ‘public servants’ (a term that seems to translate more and more as ‘public masters’) are worth more than the lives of others. When you start down that road of comparing the relative value of human lives, it leads to very, very bad places. 

This is the same reason why celebrities, politicians, and elites get away, or get reduced sentencing for crimes that would land the rest of us in jail. I believe DaveTN said you get the best defense you can afford.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Omega said:

I've been thinking long and hard on this one.  One one side, I see your point, murder is murder, but then I think, isn't killing a police officer not only murder, but an attack on society, and the rule of law?  Most murders are usually between individuals who know each other, or are in the same game, drugs, gang, domestic etc. A police officer is there to keep the peace, for the rest of us.  He may settle disputes now and then, but mostly there to keep us civil.  Attacking that not only commits a crime, but also erodes society a bit. And I must add, the same goes for killing anyone in any public office, and of course this is only when done while in the line of duty.

As a former Police Officer I respectfully disagree. Violence is violence no matter who it is directed towards. It is an attack on society no matter who it is and should be addressed with extreme prejudice. Someone killing their wife/husband for insurance money or someone killing a clerk in a hold-up is no more acceptable and no less violent than killing a Police Officer. Violent killers should never see the light of day again; ever.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

You may be right; Cops are people. Your friends being killed make you pay more attention.

However, there are plenty of cases here locally were it wasn’t cops that were killed and massive amounts of man-power were used.

However in areas like Nashville and Memphis where there are a lot of murders I doubt they get the resources a cop killer would.

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

This is the same reason why celebrities, politicians, and elites get away, or get reduced sentencing for crimes that would land the rest of us in jail. I believe DaveTN said you get the best defense you can afford.

I said you will get exactly the amount of justice you can afford. Death penalty cases step out of that box though. They get qualified attorney’s that have handled death penalty cases. Paid for by us of course.

2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Correct. It’s also why I disagree with you when you say Police Officers should have to let the level of danger escalate to a level higher than a non-Police Officer before using deadly force. It’s unacceptable. If you cause a Police Officer, HCP holder, or any other person to believe they are in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm; you caused that and deadly force is justified.

• Like 2

I believe that in many cases of murders a lot of how hard to police work to solve them is greatly influenced by how long and hard the main Stream News networks carry it or keep bringing it back up to the forefront to keep people thinking about it. Thing is once they apprehend the perps (murderers) how much evidence is made available to both the Prosecution and the Defense and the onger it takes to catch the bad guys the more there is a chance of evidence being lost, peoples memories fade, eye witnesses have trouble remembering of have died.  In a capitol murder case I think the trial should be sooner instead of later while things are still fresh and crisp in people minds. Example (Holly Bobo case)  They had the people in custody for at least 2.5 to 3 years before that trials actually began. That is a very long time for a family to have to wait for justice to be served for their loss. That is entirely to long but that is JMHO.