The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Dang! Their "Bottle Shop" states ... "We apologize, however, due to individual state laws we are unable to ship to the following states: Alabama, California, Delaware, Kentucky, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, and Utah."

Where have I been? Liquor can now be shipped to Tennessee?
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Stumbled into a few bottles of Weller 12 this evening, an old favorite that I haven't seen on the shelves in a few years. It will be nice to have a bottle back on the bar.

The last bottle I got from Mike in Knoxville, is down to its last sip.  Definitely replace when I can find it.  

The Old Forester Birthday Bourbon came out.

If I understood correctly Knoxville got 11 bottles of it.  We got three, they are gone.

Good luck in your search.

The Birthday Bourbon is good stuff! Had a guy who runs a liquor store turn me on to that a few years ago. I asked if he had anything cool hiding that was different and he walked out of the back room with a bottle of Old Forester and it was great.

So, thanks to a good fellow TGOer I'm sampling some Jefferson's Ocean this evening. It's excellent. LOTS of body and oak flavor, very full and rich. Not much heat, but at 90 proof it's noticeable. Very nice. I'd say worth the price tag. I paid similar for Whistlepig and I think Ocean is better, but I like full body flavor.

First impressions were neat, now chilling and a slow dilution to see how it changes.

DC22C09F-3AB4-4E31-B655-E66F8A240384_zps

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Administrator

So, thanks to a good fellow TGOer I'm sampling some Jefferson's Ocean this evening. It's excellent. LOTS of body and oak flavor, very full and rich. Not much heat, but at 90 proof it's noticeable. Very nice. I'd say worth the price tag. I paid similar for Whistlepig and I think Ocean is better, but I like full body flavor.

First impressions were neat, now chilling and a slow dilution to see how it changes.

Sir you seem to have some water in your Bourbon.  What's that all about???

Sir you seem to have some water in your Bourbon. What's that all about???

Ha, how'd that get in there?

No honestly I prefer most of mine chilled but not diluted, hence the giant orb. However some amount of dilution will really bring out favors otherwise undetectable especially in high proof.
  • Like 1

in general water is whisky's friend.  It disperses flavor.

And fwiw if any of you are interested we have several bottles of the Jack Daniel's Sinatra 100th Birthday.  $460. One Liter.

This stuff is very limited.  The case it comes in is cool.  It looks like a gun safe (probably coincidence not on purpose.)

And fwiw if any of you are interested we have several bottles of the Jack Daniel's Sinatra 100th Birthday.  $460. One Liter.

This stuff is very limited.  The case it comes in is cool.  It looks like a gun safe (probably coincidence not on purpose.)

Wow. Never even heard of this. But not much of a drinker so I guess that's normal.

No stigma attached to my comment. Just never developed a taste for spirits.

So I found out something interesting about Sinatra because I personally like it...its the old 90 proof version of Gentleman Jack before they changed how they made it years ago and went to 80 proof. Fun little fact for the day.

At least thats what a liquor store owner told me...its one of the best tasting whiskeys you'll find which is shocking because you wouldn't expect that out of Jack Daniels lol at least I didnt.

Edited by tennesseetiger

Sir you seem to have some water in your Bourbon. What's that all about???

A bit of water in bourbon actually opens up the flavors. The giant ice orbs melt very slowly, so there's typically minimal dilution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love Ocean. Very unique flavors. I've got a bottle opened now.

• Administrator

A bit of water in bourbon actually opens up the flavors. The giant ice orbs melt very slowly, so there's typically minimal dilution.

It was meant in jest.  I am in no way, shape or form, a whiskey, scotch or bourboun newb.  Somewhere in Bardstown, Kentucky there is a statue honoring my liver.

• Like 5

I want to know how ya'll get those perfect round ice balls

Forget those round ice balls you see in this thread... they are not the ice balls you are looking for:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f0b6/

354b3f32453ed4027c0319128fa83bd0.jpg

I'm going dissent here though. I normally do a splash of water in my whiskey and forget the ice. The ice makes it too cold for me to enjoy all the flavor. Edited by TMF
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

Forget those round ice balls you see in this thread... they are not the ice balls you are looking for:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f0b6/

354b3f32453ed4027c0319128fa83bd0.jpg

I'm going dissent here though. I normally do a splash of water in my whiskey and forget the ice. The ice makes it too cold for me to enjoy all the flavor.

A friend gave me one of those molds for Christmas last year and I'm sad to say I haven't used it yet.  :(

I do have this one that I do use though...

http://amzn.to/1G8VEJG

61JZUNZUoBL._SL1000_.jpg

61eviit7NjL._SL1024_.jpg

• Like 1

Your talk of this Jefferson's Ocean is interesting. Is it a rare bottling? Or would one such as I run across it here in the sticks of Nashville?

It is not rare just a little harder to get on a regular basis.  You should be able to find it in most any liquor store.

And if you did not know, the point of Ocean is to mimic the effect of shipping whisky on river barges back in the day.  Now they take it a step further and float it over the equator a few times to cause temperature extremes and more sloshing around in the barrel.  This adds to the body and flavor of the spirit.

• Like 1