The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Here's about 1/4 of the stuff I have on hand right now. The really limited stuff, including my bottle of Van Winkle, are locked away in a cabinet and I keep a fully stocked bar elsewhere in the house.

The wine rack is running dry; I need to replenish that soon before the holiday parties start up. Right now I'm the only one in the house drinking anything distilled, brewed or fermented so I haven't been chomping at the bit to run out and buy more wine. There's too much good beer and good whiskey and bourbon this time of year to spend money on grape juice.

i-8J5KpX3-X2.jpg

What year Van Winkle do you have out of curiosity.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Totally surprised Van Winkle and the BATC stuff has not come out yet.  Any day I suspect.  I am slow to answer the phone anymore.  Every other call is about that stuff.

I suspect this will be our smallest allotment.  More stores to divide it up with.

We get people who ask if we are excited about selling it.  LOL.  I wish it would show up so we can get rid of it.  The competition over getting a trophy bottle of Larue or Pappy is ridiculous.  The stuff is mostly over rated.  It is driven by the distiller's limiting the release of it.  I don't fault them either.  It takes a long time to make 18 year old whisky. Or 15, 12, whatever.  Elmer T Lee used to sit on our shelves and collect dust.  Literally it was almost cut from inventory more than once.

If you want a good bottle and not play the trophy game,  buy a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel, or a bottle of Weller Reserve.  

• Like 1

Totally surprised Van Winkle and the BATC stuff has not come out yet.  Any day I suspect.  I am slow to answer the phone anymore.  Every other call is about that stuff.

I suspect this will be our smallest allotment.  More stores to divide it up with.

We get people who ask if we are excited about selling it.  LOL.  I wish it would show up so we can get rid of it.  The competition over getting a trophy bottle of Larue or Pappy is ridiculous.  The stuff is mostly over rated.  It is driven by the distiller's limiting the release of it.  I don't fault them either.  It takes a long time to make 18 year old whisky. Or 15, 12, whatever.  Elmer T Lee used to sit on our shelves and collect dust.  Literally it was almost cut from inventory more than once.

If you want a good bottle and not play the trophy game,  buy a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel, or a bottle of Weller Reserve.  

I haven't called the store yet but I am getting anxious about my bottle of Pappy...its a gift for my dad so I'm not freaking out about it since I know it won't really be mine anyway lol

I haven't called the store yet but I am getting anxious about my bottle of Pappy...its a gift for my dad so I'm not freaking out about it since I know it won't really be mine anyway lol

As far as I know it hasn't dropped in the Nashville area market yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know it hasn't dropped in the Nashville area market yet.

That is correct as far as I know. I talked to a buddy of mine who works at a liquor store downtown and he said he thinks it'll be sometime before thanksgiving but it is going to be later than what people were expecting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk Edited by tennesseetiger

We got an unexpected surprise yesterday.  A case of Corner Creek bourbon, 88 proof.  It retailed for just under 30 bucks.  I have not seen it in over six or seven years.  I fully expected to never see it again.

Maybe we can get more next week.  Who knows?  It lasted on our shelves for about all of four hours.

It is a little brother to Rowans Creek and Noah's Mill, same flavor profile but a lighter finish.  

If you see it somewhere, and not at a rip off price then pick one up.  You'll love it.

Edited by Mike.357

word has it we have another case of Corner Creek coming tomorrow.

If you want one let me know,  I can hold this back for you.  

That or come and get it.

I am not kidding when I say this is some of the best bourbon on our shelf.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

That or come and get it.

man I miss living in Knoxville ;) 

That or come and get it.

I have yet to find a review that says its good  :ugh: to try it or not to try it...that is the question  :rofl:

As for Corner Creek, I said it is good. There is your review. But then I don't go in for the trendy overpriced stuff.   

Moot point at the store now anyway.  It is all gone.  I sold the last 8 bottles today. We'll see next week if we can get another case.  I hope so.  I can sell it all day long when I point it out to our bourbon clients.  At it's price point it is impossible to beat.

• Like 1
My friend and I are stalking our favorite liquor store where we spend too much money. We literally purchased 8 bottles of bourbon. Our area isn't even expected to get VanWinkle this year which bums me out because if love to buy it for the big guy.

This week I grabbed him a bottle of Larceny (it looked cool). A bottle of Beer Barrel Bourbon and Traverse City Bourbon (I'm a Michigander so gotta support the home teams) and a bottle of knob creek single barrel selected by the store. He has to be careful with the KC, last time he had that, there was an "incident" involving steps. LOL I really just like finding new and interesting ones. I stared at several bottles of the Michters. Now I know it's safe to buy it. Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Larceny is indeed very good.  You usually can't go wrong with the Knob Creek Single Barrel either;  I have two bottles of that on hand.

I opened a new bottle of Four Roses Small Batch last night after cleaning out the last bottle of their Single Barrel.  I'll probably make my way to the store again today to see what else strikes my fancy.  Need to stock up before the holiday get-togethers begin.  :)

• Like 1

Elijah Craig has some seriously aged and seriously expensive juice in the market now.  Very limited quantities of course.

(edited because I got my Craig and Four Roses mixed up.

Edited by Mike.357
Anyone else here tried the JD Single Barrel Barrel Proof yet? I found a bottle and bought it. Mine was 128 proof and holy cow udders is it hot. I prefer my bourbon around 100 proof, but have drank Elijah Craig barrel proof up to 140 and it doesn't seem as hot as the JDBP. Anyway, it's been open about a week now so I need to revisit it. If anyone around the Nashville area wants to sample before they purchase their own I'm happy to share.

• Like 2

Anyone else here tried the JD Single Barrel Barrel Proof yet? I found a bottle and bought it. Mine was 128 proof and holy cow udders is it hot. I prefer my bourbon around 100 proof, but have drank Elijah Craig barrel proof up to 140 and it doesn't seem as hot as the JDBP. Anyway, it's been open about a week now so I need to revisit it. If anyone around the Nashville area wants to sample before they purchase their own I'm happy to share.

That Elijah Craig is my favorite. Jack is good, but it has always been harsher than most. Seem to always have to put it on the rocks or with a little water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I tasted it the other day. The only good thing I'll say about it is that it's better than regular Jack......

• Like 1

My friend and I are stalking our favorite liquor store where we spend too much money. We literally purchased 8 bottles of bourbon. Our area isn't even expected to get VanWinkle this year which bums me out because if love to buy it for the big guy.

This week I grabbed him a bottle of Larceny (it looked cool). A bottle of Beer Barrel Bourbon and Traverse City Bourbon (I'm a Michigander so gotta support the home teams) and a bottle of knob creek single barrel selected by the store. He has to be careful with the KC, last time he had that, there was an "incident" involving steps. LOL I really just like finding new and interesting ones. I stared at several bottles of the Michters. Now I know it's safe to buy it. Thanks!

I'll be interested to see what you think about the Larceny. I tried it at my liquor store in Franklin.....didn't buy it

Elijah Craig is about the only Heaven Hill bourbon I am willing to buy, and that's more of my "I'm in a small town and want something that isn't Jack" option.

I'll be interested to see what you think about the Larceny. I tried it at my liquor store in Franklin.....didn't buy it

Elijah Craig is about the only Heaven Hill bourbon I am willing to buy, and that's more of my "I'm in a small town and want something that isn't Jack" option.

Put it this way, I bought home 4 bottles for him. He drank that whole Larceny bottle first and has said that its on the list of regulars he'll drink. He's not snooty about what he'll drink but he did hate the Beer Barrel Bourbon that I got him. He's still to crack the KC single barrel and the Travese City Bourbon. I will say I am not a big bourbon drinker, I prefer tequila or wine, but I did take a swig of the Larceny and it gave me a surprise. I can honestly say I almost enjoyed it.
  • Administrator

Put it this way, I bought home 4 bottles for him. He drank that whole Larceny bottle first and has said that its on the list of regulars he'll drink. He's not snooty about what he'll drink but he did hate the Beer Barrel Bourbon that I got him. He's still to crack the KC single barrel and the Travese City Bourbon. I will say I am not a big bourbon drinker, I prefer tequila or wine, but I did take a swig of the Larceny and it gave me a surprise. I can honestly say I almost enjoyed it.

Seriously, try some of the Michter's American Unblended.  I bet you'll love it.  The vanilla taste on the back-end really mellows the whole thing.

I didn't want to mess with anyone's expectations on the Beer Barrel stuff, but I poured 3/4 of that bottle down the drain when I tried it ... :(
Larceny is a good buy and the KC is always a safe standard. [emoji106]?
Now if only I could get Mrs.npgunner to buy me 4 bottles of bourbon ...

• Like 1

I didn't want to mess with anyone's expectations on the Beer Barrel stuff, but I poured 3/4 of that bottle down the drain when I tried it ... :(
Larceny is a good buy and the KC is always a safe standard. [emoji106]?
Now if only I could get Mrs.npgunner to buy me 4 bottles of bourbon ...

He works hard and takes good care of our little furry and feathered family. If I could buy him 50 bottles a trip I would. The beer barrel won't get dumped. I'm hoping he can tolerate it with a mixer. If not it'll be for "company", that I don't like! LOL I have a knack for making "punch" when we host big groups, it usually involves a few bottles of liquor and fruit and juice so I'm pretty hopeful that can make it tolerable!

Michters is next on the list! And I will try that one too. I just don't know if that can compare to my Casa Amigos and homemade sangria.

OK enough of this Bourbon talk nonsense. Can we focus on important things like Rum?

Sure, currently sipping on a rum and coke featuring Briney Gold shipwreck spiced rum. Reasonably balanced straight for a spiced rum. but I highly recommend it with Mexican coke and a fresh lime wedge. Straight lately I've been sipping on the Zafra master reserve.