The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Maybe we could source some whiskey from Indiana, age it for another year or so, bottle in bottles shaped like bullets; David could hand sign/number each bottle and we could do an annual release of our super premium super small batch bourbon. Each year the battle could be in the shape of a different caliber. Of course we'd start out with the 9 mm version because it's the end-all caliber. #potstir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Admin Team

Maybe we could source some whiskey from Indiana, age it for another year or so, bottle in bottles shaped like bullets; David could hand sign/number each bottle and we could do an annual release of our super premium super small batch bourbon. Each year the battle could be in the shape of a different caliber. Of course we'd start out with the 9 mm version because it's the end-all caliber. #potstir

Ship that stuff with a brick of .22LR and you'd be counting your money on your boat...

• Like 1

I'd really like to get a bottle or two of Leadslingers.

My brother in law brought me a bottle from NC i think. I was really excited about it. But it's hot garbage imho. Literally. Hot. And rough. Like a long trail ride after a night of heavy drinking and bad mexican food. Imagine the love child of Jameson and JP-8.

And this is not coming from a man sitting in a stuffy game room surrounded by high dollar smokes and bottles of top shelf. Just a regular ol bourbon guy who got put in charge of bath time. 79de7b04d6f456b97292da3c8e7d4368.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

So the BTAC was released yesterday.  

Freaking people crack me up.  None of it will hit the shelf.  We got that little. 2 bottles of 23 year old,  last year we got 6 or 9 of them.  The other ages and labels were way smaller than last year.  The boss has not messed with it yet and that alone is driving people crazy.  There actually was one guy who threatened him for not putting it out for sale.  That will get him a bottle,  LOL  Yeah NO.

If the phone rang 100 times yesterday 75 of the calls were people trophy hunting.  We have a list of requests that far exceeds availability. I answered one call and it was a lady, and she told me three times she is on our preferred list.  I have worked there off and on for 13 years.  I am unaware of any such list.  My standard answer to these calls and trophy hunters is " I have none to sell"  Which is not a lie as only our owner and GM are the only ones who can authorize the sale of it.

I am glad I have no say over who gets what.

Overall, I'd estimate we got 1/4 of what we had last year.

Just stopped and grabbed Jefferson Ocean. Also a bottle of KC with 2 rocks glasses. I'm a schmuck for free crap. Also, since he liked the Larceny I grabbed him a big ol bottle. I'm gunning for wife of the year. The competition is the damn dog at home who snuggles him. I'm thinking this gives me a leg up with the ammo added. LOL
  • Like 1

Somebody has a couple bottles of Pappy 2015 listed in the Knoxville Craigslist ads tonight. Egg Nog is evil!

How much are they asking. I walked into my regular store and he just looked at me and smiled. I laughed and said I'm not even asking because I know you didn't get any. Then he smiled and told me to fill a cart up.

How much are they asking. I walked into my regular store and he just looked at me and smiled. I laughed and said I'm not even asking because I know you didn't get any. Then he smiled and told me to fill a cart up.

They likely got some.  

You are exactly the kind of customer we would sell to.  Someone who shops there regularly and spends money is who we try to sell it to.  What we tried to avoid is trophy hunters who only show up to try and cherry pick then you never see them again until the next time something limited arrives.

I liken it to .22 ammo and the hoarders who have screwed that up.  Don't deal with re-sellers.  If they get stuck with it they won't take it all up next time.

There is plenty of good or better whisky on the shelf all day long.

David nailed it.  

We almost refused delivery of it to avoid the headache of it all and to make a statement about how the distillers try to manipulate prices by hyping it up and then limiting the release.  It would not be the first time we have refused to sell a product.  The boss puts his money where his mouth is.

Elmer T Lee is the golden swan now.  Daily people come in and ask for it. Mostly people I have never seen before. The last I saw of it was months ago where a rogue case showed up. 6 bottles mind you.  We still kept it on the shelf for about 33 bucks though.  Other stores would have doubled or tripled that price.  The stuff used to sit forever and collect dust.  Same with Weller 12 two years ago.

If you want a bottle of good bourbon try Jim Beam Black Label ( or double aged, whatever they call it now)  You can buy it every day of the week.

Monkey was a chef when we lived in Nashville and he had a friend who had a very popular restaurant. It's where he ha had his first and only glass of it ever. That's the only reason I would want my hands on one. I just want him to have it again. For good memories.

I did go behind the counter for the Jefferson Ocean which perplexed him "why do they put it in a boat?". I was perplexed as to why it was behind the counter. But I genuinely believe my guy when he says he didn't get any. Another lady told me it was staying in Nashville and big markets only.

Either way, he has a stockpile building on his bar and it's Friday. It's gonna be freezing so hello weekend of movies and bourbon!
I do love me some pappy - especially the 12 and 20. But i stopped bothering hunting back in 2012.

A great wheated bourbon that ranks right up there with pappy is John J Bowman single barrel. Its buffalo trace mashbill and smoooooth. And its reasonably priced around $50 a bottle. I think the fact it says its from virginia holds it back on demanding high prices. More for me!
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the bottle of Pappy 15 I had.  Hype be damned, I liked it a lot.  I would buy another if I could walk in pay and not have to hound anyone, I really hate asking repeatedly for stuff, and then they have to be the gate keeper of who gets some and who doesn't.  I hate more than anything that Elmer T Lee isn't on the shelves now, that was one of the best buys period, and no one cared until he died, now its like a unicorn.  I quit asking for it, I got a bottle about a year ago and haven't opened it yet, but its not long for this world.  Time to drink it and find something else good.  

• Like 2

I love me some Pappy, but for the price its Christmas bourbon...some nights you just have to slum it. Chicken is on the big green egg, fire is going, cigar is lit, and music is playing. Unfortunately my kid pooped in the tub so I chose to say I needed to "monitor the grill" and slum it with a garage pour of Wild Turkey and diet coke as opposed to risking going inside for some of the good stuff. 2b98c085176de3301de8fdcb9a48da29.jpg

• Like 4

I love me some Pappy, but for the price its Christmas bourbon...some nights you just have to slum it. Chicken is on the big green egg, fire is going, cigar is lit, and music is playing. Unfortunately my kid pooped in the tub so I chose to say I needed to "monitor the grill" and slum it with a garage pour of Wild Turkey and diet coke as opposed to risking going inside for some of the good stuff. 2b98c085176de3301de8fdcb9a48da29.jpg

I'm sitting in the truck waiting for the Monkey. I'm jealous of everything shown in that damn picture! We'll be cracking Jefferson Ocean open tonight.
I've had 4 of the Ocean's releases. I've never been sad I bought a bottle. Y'all enjoy.
For my tastes the best 2 "on the shelf bourbons" are Elijah Craig 12 yr (although the age statement has moved to the back of the bottle) and Blanton's. If I had to pick one, Blanton's every day. Yummy.

• Like 1

Monkey was a chef when we lived in Nashville and he had a friend who had a very popular restaurant. It's where he ha had his first and only glass of it ever. That's the only reason I would want my hands on one. I just want him to have it again. For good memories.

I did go behind the counter for the Jefferson Ocean which perplexed him "why do they put it in a boat?". I was perplexed as to why it was behind the counter. But I genuinely believe my guy when he says he didn't get any. Another lady told me it was staying in Nashville and big markets only.

Either way, he has a stockpile building on his bar and it's Friday. It's gonna be freezing so hello weekend of movies and bourbon!

I had my first glass of Pappy 23 year at The Southern in downtown Nashville.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • Like 1