The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Anyone else here tried the JD Single Barrel Barrel Proof yet? I found a bottle and bought it. Mine was 128 proof and holy cow udders is it hot. I prefer my bourbon around 100 proof, but have drank Elijah Craig barrel proof up to 140 and it doesn't seem as hot as the JDBP. Anyway, it's been open about a week now so I need to revisit it. If anyone around the Nashville area wants to sample before they purchase their own I'm happy to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much into the JD, go to their distillery and it will burn the hairs off your nose.  Then go to the George Dickel distillery and it barely smells at all.  It's all about quantity at JD and that's it.  Their other lines just sell because of the branding.

Not much into the JD, go to their distillery and it will burn the hairs off your nose. Then go to the George Dickel distillery and it barely smells at all. It's all about quantity at JD and that's it. Their other lines just sell because of the branding.

They make it look so tasty and its known across the planet as old no.7, however I can only use it as mouth wash,lol.

Anyone else here tried the JD Single Barrel Barrel Proof yet? I found a bottle and bought it. Mine was 128 proof and holy cow udders is it hot. I prefer my bourbon around 100 proof, but have drank Elijah Craig barrel proof up to 140 and it doesn't seem as hot as the JDBP. Anyway, it's been open about a week now so I need to revisit it. If anyone around the Nashville area wants to sample before they purchase their own I'm happy to share.

Only 2 Jack Daniels liquors I drink usually are Gentleman Jack and Sinatra "which is too expensive to drink all the time". I was never really impressed with single barrel...

I keep a bottle of Jack at the house for when a guest says "I'd love a bourbon....do you have and Diet Coke?" ;)

Do you allow such people back into the house once you find this out about them?!?!?!  :squint:  :rofl:

if you like mixing bourbon you should give Benchmark a try.   It is made by Buffalo Trace and should be priced around $17 for a 1.75.

Many customers who have complained about price increases to Jim Beam have made the switch upon recommendation and found they like it a lot.

(edited to clarify pricing)

Edited by Mike.357
  • Administrator

On the topic of Rum, the best I've ever had is Prichard's Private Stock. I don't know if they are distributing it to stores yet, but it is available at their distillery shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah it is.  I've got some from last year upstairs.  Very smooth stuff.

Word is Van Winkle is dropping tomorrow.

Good luck in getting some.  If I heard correctly we are getting a grand total of six bottles older than 12 year old. Last year we got about 10 cases of 15 year old and 8 cases older than that.  

I have no idea how much of the 10 and 12 year old we are getting.  I am guessing a few cases of each.  I am fairly sure none of it will be shelved.

It will be a considerable trophy find this year.

• Like 1

Word is Van Winkle is dropping tomorrow.

Good luck in getting some. If I heard correctly we are getting a grand total of six bottles older than 12 year old. Last year we got about 10 cases of 15 year old and 8 cases older than that.

I have no idea how much of the 10 and 12 year old we are getting. I am guessing a few cases of each. I am fairly sure none of it will be shelved.

It will be a considerable trophy find this year.

My friend and I were hunting last week. We ask every week we go shopping and a woman hidden in a corner (I guess their office) laughed out loud at us. She said that she doesn't even think our area will see any this year. She then tried to sell us a bottle of limited release Yellowstone. I left. I'm buying Monkey a new gun instead.

We have some Yellowstone,  it is on the shelf, less than $110. 

They had it at $107. Wasn't sure if it was worth it or not so I did the smart thing and didn't buy it. The big guy might have liked it but a new gun will be a better hit in this house any day of the week. Although I noticed that the Larceny is almost gone and he drank a wee bit of the Traverse City so those can hold him over while he gets a new toy.

The Larceny is available every day of the week.

The new lead slinger will be a better buy than most any bourbon will be.

Can you give my wife lessons?

I always find the perplexing when men say that! I guess I'm the one that got lessons or maybe he brainwashed me and I didn't know it! LOL today we discussed ammo, stocking up and adding a piece or three to the collection. I love my gun, I love my husband and I love the time we spend together at the backyard range we have!

Buy her some flowers, a gun and take her shooting! That'll get her on the right path. I'd hope. ;-)

I have bought her flowers, many times over in 25+years.  She is not a gunny, never has been and never will be.

Makes awesome fried chicken and one hell of a meatloaf.  :)   And she is my best friend.

I guess I should count my blessings.  

I have bought her flowers, many times over in 25+years. She is not a gunny, never has been and never will be.

Makes awesome fried chicken and one hell of a meatloaf. :) And she is my best friend.

I guess I should count my blessings.

I wasn't either. The first time we went to a range I was so nervous my safety glasses totally fogged up. It grew on me. A lot. Now I beg for new guns all the time. I'm currently trying to get a Glock 20sf and I think I'd like an AK too. Put in a good word for me?

My meatloaf is good but he makes better fried chicken. I hope we feel that way about each other after 25 years! :)
  • Like 1