The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Question for the hive - what would you suggest for an easy sipping bourbon whiskey for Thanksgiving day that would also be used to make some old fashioned?  Not looking for something rare or complex as it will be lost on myself and my crowd.  So far I have tried woodford, buffalo trace, and bulleit.  Didn't care for the woodford or bulleit.  Buffalo was smooth but somewhat generic tasting.

Four Roses, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, ... even Gentleman Jack.    I've never had Bulleit but also didn't really care for Woodford.  Honestly, the best inexpensive whiskey I've found is Bushmills. 

Today's haul... Let's just say I am tired, the sleigh was stuffed full of everything from scratch and pine shavings to this little haul. Happy long weekend to the Monkey and here's hoping he's smart enough to keep his paws off the tequila.  :rofl:  I'm really excited to see what he thinks about the Jefferson's Chef's Collaboration and the Corner Creek. Those will be two new ones. I think this should hold him over for a bit. I did forget to stop and get him cigars! I feel horrible about that but I think this should be enough to be forgiven.

[URL=http://s166.photobucket.com/user/predsgirl33/media/FullSizeRender_zpsnzfmfxaa.jpg.html]FullSizeRender_zpsnzfmfxaa.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

Today's haul... Let's just say I am tired, the sleigh was stuffed full of everything from scratch and pine shavings to this little haul. Happy long weekend to the Monkey and here's hoping he's smart enough to keep his paws off the tequila. :rofl: I'm really excited to see what he thinks about the Jefferson's Chef's Collaboration and the Corner Creek. Those will be two new ones. I think this should hold him over for a bit. I did forget to stop and get him cigars! I feel horrible about that but I think this should be enough to be forgiven.
FullSizeRender_zpsnzfmfxaa.jpg

If that right there doesn't make him overlook some nasty cigars....kick him right square in the nuts. [emoji57]
  • Like 1

Question for the hive - what would you suggest for an easy sipping bourbon whiskey for Thanksgiving day that would also be used to make some old fashioned? Not looking for something rare or complex as it will be lost on myself and my crowd. So far I have tried woodford, buffalo trace, and bulleit. Didn't care for the woodford or bulleit. Buffalo was smooth but somewhat generic tasting.

For a bourbon that you're going to mix with sugar, just about any will do. I wouldn't buy a $50+ bottle like Blantons to mix like that. Look for a lower end rye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
The 10 year Rip VanWinkle was the only one he was willing to crack last night. He said 12 year is going up until he can find 15, 20 or 23 year to replace it! He loved it. He had about 2 fingers neat and then 2 on ice. He said on ice was better, he said it was very warm (107 proof). Light, as fr flavor he said his sinuses prevented him from full report. He said the flavor isn't like anything he's had before. And trust me, I buy him a lot of bourbons. Corner Creek hasn't been opened yet. He was also really excited to see another Jefferson's Ocean. Apparently that's going up with the 12 VanWinkle. Although I am curious to see how long the 12 year lasts without a nip or two!

Drink the stuff, maybe in moderation and on special occasions but I do not know what the purpose is to have it and not open it. It won't spoil.

Enjoy

Amen. I actually still have about a glass and a half in my 15. I have rationed it, but it'll be gone by Christmas [emoji106]
  • Like 1
Mike357, how come rum costs so much more here as opposed to Florida? 750 ml of Flor de Cana is the same as a 1.75 in Florida. Do you guys get that much mark up, or is it just the going rate for the market?

Mike357, how come rum costs so much more here as opposed to Florida? 750 ml of Flor de Cana is the same as a 1.75 in Florida. Do you guys get that much mark up, or is it just the going rate for the market?

IIRC we are around thirty bucks for that rum.   I don't recall it when I lived in Florida.  Our markup does not make anyone rich.  In our store it is about volume of sales.   We sell way way more than anyone else because the boss is fair and reasonable with markup.  I assume it is less in Florida due to the lack of sales tax and their sin tax is most likely way less than here in the Baptist belt.   

And since we are on the topic of markup,  McSomebodies store and the one on the north side of that interstate exit by the same name (cedar bluff exit) advertised a Black Friday sale on whisky.  The bulk of what they advertised was BTAC product.

Every item they had in their "sale"  (read rip off ad) was roughly three times of our shelf price.  Granted getting is from us is hard.  We cater to our regular customers who spend bank week in and week out.  They and other stores are flat out offering it up and bending you over if you are so desperate to buy.

Anyone who bought from them deserves just what they got.

My biggest complaint as far as rum goes is what used to come from Venezuela.  The Pampero line of rum.  Since their political problems there is exactly none coming out of there.  It pisses me off as a rum fan.  They (IMHO) had the best rum in the market. Now there is none.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1
The booze scalpers are starting to show up on Craigslist. A bottle of PVW 12 at $450, WL Weller 12 at $199, and a bottle of Elmer T Lee for $199. Buy all 3 for the low, low price of $750! It's on Knox list if anybody is interested. Pretty sure I'll never taste any at that price.