I want to get a Wolf / German Shepherd hybrid puppy

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

One that looks really close to this:

loki.jpg

Anyone know any reputable breeders or families that will be having a few extra puppies? I don't want to support any form of puppy mill, especially with something as critical to good breeding as a hybrid (for purposes of aggression, trainability, etc).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have "heard" that they are great dogs as long as you never feed them any kind of meat....as long as you strictly stick to kibble you should be fine. If your really interested I know some people that I could probably get you in contact with over in East Tennessee. just shoot me a pm.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
info
I have "heard" that they are great dogs as long as you never feed them any kind of meat....as long as you strictly stick to kibble you should be fine. If your really interested I know some people that I could probably get you in contact with over in East Tennessee. just shoot me a pm.

Diet doesn't have anything to do with it. They are a very strong willed breed. They require someone who is willing to put in the time and effort to train them and keep them in check. A Petsmart obedience class will not suffice.

I was a dog trainer for several years and they are awesome dogs, so long as they know their place in line.

Let me know if you do find a reputable breeder. I've been looking for one for a little while.

-Mike

Edited by Mike
Guest jackdog

saw an ad on criagslist .org couple of days ago for one to be given away. Hey they are part wild animal, and that makes them an unreliable pet in my book. I love dogs and I love wolves but this is not a breed to f*$k with regardless of your experience.

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

I think if it were only around 20% wolf, it wouldn't be a risky situation. Really it comes down to the genes. I could make a laundry list of what I want (looks like the breed in the photo, high intelligence, obedient and well disciplined if I maintain the alpha position) but that might come down to luck.

I'm patient and relentless when it comes to training dogs, and I think I could handle it. Also, with the economy the way it is, I finally have the free time needed.

Edited by Schwarzgebrannt

When I was 11 my neighbor had a Alaskan malamute and part wolf. I had to get 58 stiches all over my head because she shook me like a rag doll. So I dont trust anything with wolf in it.

I love them, but yea I know a couple people that have had bad experiences. Even with well trained dogs. It's just a risk you have to think about. I wouldn't have one with kids around. Just me and I probably would. I always carry a gun though so I'd just shoot it in the face if it went nutso on me.

Guest abailey362

i had a half husky half alaskan wolf and she was a doll. her father, the wolf, was raised in captivity from a pup and was just a 200lb kid. it depends as much on the atmosphere and training as it does the genes imho.

damn i wish i still had that dog

Ok, let me preface this that I believe it is GENERALLY how you raise the dog that determines how the animal acts.

The one and only up close experience I have ever had with a wolf hybrid ended with me having to shoot the damned thing several times.

Short story....Family had farm in Fayette county. Neighbor had wolf hybrid. Dog gets out and maimed one of our horses. Then decides it doesn't like us. SEVEN 40 cal rounds later it died 3 feet from MY feet.

But, like I said this was my one and only experience with a hybrid, and I do own two Pit bull mixs who ae BABIES!!!! One of the mixes ( actually I think he's full blooded but being a rescue we call him a mix) beecame the best friend of an 18 month old child of the family that fostored him while my wife and I were both on active duty last year. So I don't TRY to make blanket statement about animals...................but I'm just saying. I also don't like Arabian horses......but that's another story.

Guest Mugster

If you want a good buddy, get ya a female lab. For protection, a male might be the way to go. They have a long fuse but if they go nuts on somebody...or another dog , you'll have to hit them with a shovel to let go.

Make a good pointer, hog dog, retriever, and they'll nose small game for you too. They are sorta a one man's dog that everyone can enjoy. Once they get up to about 3, most of the crazy antics stop and they settle in pretty good. I say most.

Problems are some general craziness, they will wander if kept outside unpinned (like all hunting dogs), they get lonely if you aren't there, and they need alot of attention. And they really like potato chips, beer, and pizza. You don't want a male wandering around unsupervised. They could take chunk out of the mailman. Depends on the dog, but my female has a gentle nature with people.

Edited by Mugster
Guest Archimedes

Just go to a shelter and rescue a good GSD...

I personally prefer females as they seem more attentive, eager to learn, and protective (especially of kids) with the maternal instinct and all.

This is my current male, Kirby:

kirby.jpg

A kind woman gave me a choice of three pups when my beloved female died from complications after surgery. I picked this amazing guy.

I swear he could have been a K-9 with his play drive...even if he's on the small-side.

Not sure if he's pure or not, but he is sure smart. He figured out how to climb a 6-foot, chain-link fence pretty quick.

I watched him put each little paw into the links and climb right up it....I've watched a ton of animal planet and I never seen anything like it....too bad I never taped it.

~archi

Edited by Archimedes
Guest Schwarzgebrannt

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that owning a dog with strong predatory instincts like a wolf cross isn't just something to not be taken lightly, but probably not a good idea unless I had an established pack structure with another dog.

I'll try to find a GSD / Malamute cross, because I really like the look of the breed shown in the pic and sled dog GSD crosses seem to be able to have wolfish looks while being 100% dog, but if I find something good in a local rescue, I'll definitely go that route.

Yeah, if your in it for the looks of the breed, pick yourself up a Malamute, German Shepard, or Siberian Husky. If your looking for intelligence, go for a herding breed. I prefer Old English Sheepdogs myself (loving, intelligent, independent, and highly protective of "the family" and "the den") but to each his own

Back when i was working as a driver delivering parts, i went to this shop that had an animal that was part wolf chained in the back. The thing was very dark and it was huge. I would estimate about at least 120 pounds. That is the meanest little bastard i have ever seen.

Edited by war4peace
Back when i was working as a driver deliver parts, i went to this shop that had an animal that was part roof chained in the back. The thing was very dark and it was huge. I would estimate about at least 120 pounds. That is the meanest little bastard i have ever seen.

He was so mean they chained him to the roof.:D:D

I suggest you have a long serious talk with your knowledgeable insurance agent before getting any kind of animal like this. Many insurance companies do not like the idea at all and will cancel you in a heartbeat. Another thing to consider is what happens to the dog in the event you can no longer keep it.

FWIW, most of the 'wolves' you see in the movies are actually sable German Shepherds.

oldogy, who has lived and been around many GSDs. Current companion and family member is Chelsea, a 90 lb black GSD.

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

If anyone can point me in the right direction to meet a breeder/owner who has a litter, I'd appreciate it. I want to see some puppies in person.

I'm leaning more towards a sable shepherd but if I can get a 10-20% wolf, I think that's something I'm ready for.

If you want a good buddy, get ya a female lab. For protection, a male might be the way to go. They have a long fuse but if they go nuts on somebody...or another dog , you'll have to hit them with a shovel to let go.

I second female labs.

Best. Dog. Ever.

'nuff said