Nikon exiting rifle scope market

• Moderators

One of our intrepid readers who’s in the retail end of the gun business told us of notification he received from one of his distributors. They were letting him know that Nikon will be exiting the rifle scope business and that once current inventory is gone, it’s gone.

TTAG spoke to Nikon’s advertising agency who confirmed the news. We’re told that this is a business decision Nikon has made based on their position in the highly competitive optics market.

2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

We’re told that this is a business decision Nikon has made based on their position in the highly competitive optics market.

Darn it!! Now our Leupolds will move closer to the price of those scopes you buy that us mere mortals can’t afford.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Darn it!! Now our Leupolds will move closer to the price of those scopes you buy that us mere mortals can’t afford.

Some of us splurge on optics, some of us splurge on .40 ammo.

I happen to fall into that group that splurges on daycare and student loans...

I almost forgot: I splurge on materials for the home remodel, too. Sheetrock and an egress window cover in the same week?! Oooh, boy! And looks like the dishwasher might've crapped out today, so I'll be splurging there one way or the other.

Just to be clear, this was all meant in fun. We're lucky to have two great little boys, a home we can fix up and have a good chance to build equity with, and I'm lucky enough to have work that keeps me pretty well it of harm's way, mostly pays the bills, and keeps me from getting real hot in the summer, real cold in the winter, and real wet in the rain.

Edited by TomInMN
Additional thoughts, and a usage error.
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Dropping out of a highly competitive market is business speak for, "We're getting out because we can't make enough money to invest in development."

I agree that it’s something like that. Folks like Vortex have taken over the market segment that Nikon existed in. I don’t know any folks who think of Nikon first when it comes to a rifle optic. 

Edited by Chucktshoes