G&A Editorial on The Current Economics of Ammo

I know we've all seen and discussed the current run on ammo and the value of having the ability to load your own. I've also read many posts here over the past few years encouraging folks to stock up because of the historically low prices and availability . I imagine most heeded that advice.

If this editorial is factual, it looks like another shortage may be upon us. I am glad I took advantage of the Black Friday deals members recommended and got some great buys on components as I primarily shoot handloads.

What are your thoughts on this editorial and it's content? 

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/economics-ammunition/374730?fbclid=IwAR33LUzNvC__tD5skk8giwUjQfdiGTgUh22JD_xQS4IV5jS4Li4JGysX2aQ

I honestly don’t think there will be a long term shortage. Just from observations up until last week. Ammo was trickling in to stores and there weren’t people setup to snatch it all up for resale.
One thing that is different....in the last .22lr shortage, there were multiple people in my area buying it for resale at local shops. A lot of those shops don’t exist anymore. 
I do think prices will go up and not come back down. I really have no evidence to support any of this but it’s my gut feeling. 

• Like 1

I hope you guys are right

And SPB is a solid group of folks in my experience A.J. and I've shot some of there ammo when sampling a few of their guns. It ran fine.

I'm set on ammo for a good while and I needed to dryfire more anyway. The next normal may well be a bit different though. I hope I'm wrong and will gladly admit it. Strange times these are.

“Join the discussion”

You’ll see that there are few replies.  This has been the norm for the past decade or more.  You’re either prepared or not.  If the latter, too bad.

Fanning the flames of paranoia only serves to empty shelves, drive up prices, and keep the perpetual wheel running.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
Guest BCR#1
20 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

I was in Shoot Point Blank last week, ammo back in the shelves.

Huge lot of their store brand reloads

If I recall correctly,  their 9mm price was $.22 / round and up

$.22 each for re-loads, what a joke.

Bill

US ammo manufacturers are mostly going t be affected by the higher cost of raw materials.  Copper used for cases and bullet jackets has seen a large jump.  Aside from that, common loads are unlikely to stay scarce for long simply because manufacturers will produce those to meet demand first.  If you were that once a year (or every two years) production of Remington .250 Savage, you may have a long wait.

I've heard that the Winchester plant in Mississippi is running full blast.  It is mostly automated and able to encourage 'social distancing' while still staying in high production mode.

Loads like Winchester 9mm 'White Box' (made in Israel) and Remington/UMC 'Value Packs' .380/9mm/.45 (made in Mexico) may be affected due to the slow down in transportation from outside the country.  Brands like Barnaul and Wolf bring in a freighter load at a time.  For them it depends how much inventory is already here and how much is already in the pipeline.

The biggest factor is how long the hysteria continues.  The sooner folks get over it, the sooner we will see a return to normalcy.  Our mainstream media is very good at drumming up hysteria as that is what they are selling.

• Like 1

No intent to incite panic buying. I just find it interesting that with the unbelievable low pricing and availability of the past few years that anyone involved in our culture would not have availed themselves of those bargains .

New shooters ? Well , this may prove a challenging time for them . And that's unfortunate, but I have no doubt this will cycle through as it always has.

I would just encourage those that have been sitting on the fence about handloading to give it a try, 

Just my ever devaluing $0.02 worth...

• Like 1

The stock market seems to have turned the corner. I listen to CNBC on audio most of the day and you can gain some real insight into what's going on behind the scenes. Ammo has less short term value for the typical family than TP, rice, and canned goods... and all of those are returning to the shelves. I have enough 9mm but I would prefer to have a larger stock of 223. Anyway, 223 is a true SHTF ammo. It doesn't look like we'll need to be carrying our ARs in one point slings with this one. 

• Like 2