Computer help needed.

Randall53

I bought a Dell laptop a couple of years ago and I really liked it. It’s a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 with Windows 10 full version and a 128GB SSD hard drive and 8gb ram. Not the eMMC crap, but a real SSD hard drive. A month or two after the warranty ran out, it stopped booting up. I gave about $500 for it on amazon. It would try to boot up the dell symbol came up and all, but it would get to a point and a blue screen came up with a message that said it couldn’t start windows. After that, it would do the Dell logo screen and go straight to troubleshooting mode. I’ve ran the troubleshooting and everything that I can do, but strangely it won’t boot up into safe mode. I tried to restore it to 2 restore point options it gives and it acts like it’s going to do it but at about 15% it stops with a message that the restore attempt failed. I tried the option it gives to reset the computer to all original settings and this stops around the 15% mark and says it can’t perform this function either. The mouse works fine and is usable in all the screens that come up for troubleshooting options and to enter the C Prompt screen where I’ve ran CHKDSK but it won’t boot into safe mode which is recommended when running CHKDSK according to internet sites Ive been searching to get some kind of suggestions. I gave up on the thing a year ago and it’s been in my closet since that time, but I’ve decided I’m going to try to get it fixed now. I took it to a computer place locally, but they did’nt seem to be very good and was more interested in selling me one of their refurbished ones which made me think they just wanted mine because it was probably an easy fix and they could made a bundle off of me buying theirs and giving them mine to refurbish and re-sell. I’m NOT a trusting soul to say the least. If anyone has any suggestions as to what might be the fix. Please let me know. Thanks.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Randall53 said:

I bought a Dell laptop a couple of years ago and I really liked it. It’s a Dell Inspiron 15 3565 with Windows 10 full version and a 128GB SSD hard drive and 8gb ram. Not the eMMC crap, but a real SSD hard drive. A month or two after the warranty ran out, it stopped booting up. I gave about $500 for it on amazon. It would try to boot up the dell symbol came up and all, but it would get to a point and a blue screen came up with a message that said it couldn’t start windows. After that, it would do the Dell logo screen and go straight to troubleshooting mode. I’ve ran the troubleshooting and everything that I can do, but strangely it won’t boot up into safe mode. I tried to restore it to 2 restore point options it gives and it acts like it’s going to do it but at about 15% it stops with a message that the restore attempt failed. I tried the option it gives to reset the computer to all original settings and this stops around the 15% mark and says it can’t perform this function either. The mouse works fine and is usable in all the screens that come up for troubleshooting options and to enter the C Prompt screen where I’ve ran CHKDSK but it won’t boot into safe mode which is recommended when running CHKDSK according to internet sites Ive been searching to get some kind of suggestions. I gave up on the thing a year ago and it’s been in my closet since that time, but I’ve decided I’m going to try to get it fixed now. I took it to a computer place locally, but they did’nt seem to be very good and was more interested in selling me one of their refurbished ones which made me think they just wanted mine because it was probably an easy fix and they could made a bundle off of me buying theirs and giving them mine to refurbish and re-sell. I’m NOT a trusting soul to say the least. If anyone has any suggestions as to what might be the fix. Please let me know. Thanks.

Do you live near Knoxville/Farragut? I know a great computer guy who is extremely reasonable, and even more important is excellent at troubleshooting. 

27 minutes ago, Omega said:

Create, or have someone create a rescue disk for you, boot from the disk and run a diagnostic of the hard drive.  Also, when you boot up, listen for and count the beeps, they mean something.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124349/understanding-beep-codes-on-a-dell-desktop-pc

Thanks for the reply Omega. I created a boot disk and a system backup when I bought it. It’s on a flash drive. It won’t boot up with it. I might should have made it on a DVD, but I didn’t. Also, I’ve been to the dell website and I read that information. When I turn it on it gives no codes at all. Beeps or amber codes on the light at the front of the computer. It starts to boot up, gives the Dell screen, then automatically got into troubleshooting mode by giving a message and ends up on the blue screen with advanced trouble shooting and  4 other places to click like “turn off computer”, “Go to C prompt” and a couple of more that I can’t remember. 

9 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

Thanks for the reply Omega. I created a boot disk and a system backup when I bought it. It’s on a flash drive. It won’t boot up with it. I might should have made it on a DVD, but I didn’t. Also, I’ve been to the dell website and I read that information. When I turn it on it gives no codes at all. Beeps or amber codes on the light at the front of the computer. It starts to boot up, gives the Dell screen, then automatically got into troubleshooting mode by giving a message and ends up on the blue screen with advanced trouble shooting and  4 other places to click like “turn off computer”, “Go to C prompt” and a couple of more that I can’t remember. 

Do you get a [C:] prompt?  if you do run chkdsk to see if you can recover the disk.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk

You can also try going to your settings pre-boot: https://www.prosofteng.com/support/mediatoolswipe/changing-your-pcs-boot-device-priority/

There you can change where to boot from, it may not be allowed to boot from USB.

I did manage to get to the C prompt and I did run CHKDSK. I also rand a scan. so far nothing has worked. I’m wondering if the SSD is bad? Also, I can’t get to anything that has to do with Windows. 

PS can’t boot up in safe mode by pressing F7

Edited by Randall53
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

It could be a lot of things, but it’s probably a bad hard drive. Since you obviously have another PC, download the latest version of windows 10 to a USB drive and see if it will install.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

I don’t have another PC, I’ve been using my IPad for the past year which unfortunately has no USB ports. thanks for the suggestion though..

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I believe that you have a bad SSD. Fortunately, the smaller ones like you have aren't that expensive. https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/inspiron-15-(3565)#ssd

Dang. They are cheap. I bet they don’t come loaded with Windows 10 though. I also bet windows 10 would be big bucks. That’s the bad thing about these new computers. They come preloaded and they don’t give you disk copies anymore of the original software like they used to. I didn’t  get anything with mine. I did make a backup disk on a flash drive.

Edited by Randall53

If you're replacing the hard rive, I would bump up the capacity a bit, as going to something like 500mb really doesn't cost much more than using something as small as what came originally in your laptop.  I like Samsung drives, here's a link to one from Newegg that's a good drive and on sale

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-500gb/p/N82E16820147674?Item=N82E16820147674&quicklink=true

You can download a current copy of Windows 10 for free from the Microsoft store.  Then you need to purchase a key to activate it (yes, for all the computer guys out there I know there are ways to upgrade or activate without buying a key), use some place like Kinguin.net and you can pick up an activation key rather cheaply

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key

Once you download and run the install, use the key and you have a fresh copy of Windows on your machine.  As noted previously, you may have to go into the bios settings to allow your laptop to boot from a flashdrive, but this isn't hard.  Find a friend to download the Windows 10 installation file to a flashdrive and you're good to go.

Edited by No_0ne
2 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

You can download a current copy of Windows 10 for free from the Microsoft store.  Then you need to purchase a key to activate it (yes, for all the computer guys out there I know there are ways to upgrade or activate without buying a key), use some place like Kinguin.net and you can pick up an activation key rather cheaply

Once you download and run the install, use the key and you have a fresh copy of Windows on your machine.  As noted previously, you may have to go into the bios settings to allow your laptop to boot from a flashdrive, but this isn't hard.  Find a friend to download the Windows 10 installation file to a flashdrive and you're good to go.

He has a key, but it's for the Dell OEM version. 

Call Dell, they may be able to help with that part.   What did chksdk give you?  Any message?  Bad sectors, unable to access etc.  Run: Chkdsk/r so it will repair any; if it's running the scan, your HD may be ok, just may of lost or damaged its allocation table or registry.

http://winwi.net/how-to-fix-file-allocation-table.html

9 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

If you're replacing the hard rive, I would bump up the capacity a bit, as going to something like 500mb really doesn't cost much more than using something as small as what came originally in your laptop.  I like Samsung drives, heer's a link to one form Newegg that's a good drive and on sale

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-500gb/p/N82E16820147674?Item=N82E16820147674&quicklink=true

This is basically what our MIS girl at work did for my home pc. I managed to break it and it wouldn't boot off a flash drive, even after telling it to do that in bios.  She had a boot CD and was able to get to to boot off that and then mostly unbreak what I messed up. 

1 hour ago, Randall53 said:

Dang. They are cheap. I bet they don’t come loaded with Windows 10 though. I also bet windows 10 would be big bucks. That’s the bad thing about these new computers. They come preloaded and they don’t give you disk copies anymore of the original software like they used to. I didn’t  get anything with mine. I did make a backup disk on a flash drive.

Piggybacking on what Omega said. Contact Dell's Customer Care and explain the situation asking for a recovery CD. Expect some BS getting through because they tend to route calls with the service tag of the device. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Piggybacking on what Omega said. Contact Dell's Customer Care and explain the situation asking for a recovery CD. Expect some BS getting through because they tend to route calls with the service tag of the device. 

I’ll give that a try. I’d sure like to get it back up and running. Thanks

12 hours ago, Randall53 said:

They don’t use cd’s anymore they have a backup that will restore it to factory settings. Unfortunately its on a partition on the hard drive. I use Acronis on all my PC’s for backup. Then if a hard drive fails; I’m as good as my last back-up.

The Windows 10 install link I sent you to make an install USB, is universal; it will install without a key. Then windows may or may not detect your previous key. But it will tell you if the hard drive is bad. And if it doesn’t detect your key, you will have (30 days I think) to buy one. Mine didn’t require a new key, but it was registered on my Microsoft account.

If you have a restore USB drive and it won’t boot, your problem is not the hard drive. The USB should boot even with a bad hard drive. But you need to go into the bios and change the boot sequence settings. Usually F2 on startup. If you can’t boot to that USB; it could be a bad or corrupted bios, memory problem, bad motherboard, or a bunch of other things.

I wouldn’t buy a new hard drive until you can boot to the USB.

If no one around you can make you an install USB or image a DVD, I will send you one, but that would take a few days. As I said above, they are universal and don’t require a key to install.  

EDIT: or if anyone around you has a Windows 10 DVD you can borrow. It doesn't matter if you/they have the key or not. If you can boot from your DVD and install; it will tell you if the hard drive is bad; or you have other problems.

The advantage of downloading and creating a USB or DVD is that you will have the most recent version of Windows 10.

Edited by DaveTN
15 hours ago, Omega said:

Create, or have someone create a rescue disk for you, boot from the disk and run a diagnostic of the hard drive.  Also, when you boot up, listen for and count the beeps, they mean something.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124349/understanding-beep-codes-on-a-dell-desktop-pc

Does Kaspersky still make theirs? Used to have a version of that with a few other "tools" on it, but sadly that was a couple years ago.

14 hours ago, Randall53 said:

I did manage to get to the C prompt and I did run CHKDSK. I also rand a scan. so far nothing has worked. I’m wondering if the SSD is bad? Also, I can’t get to anything that has to do with Windows. 

PS can’t boot up in safe mode by pressing F7

If you got to a C:> prompt, you have DOS.

HD is good (errrrrm, its able to read enough info off it to get a bootloader and DOS up and running.)

You may have mangled bits on it, but I don't know if I'd count the hardware as toast just yet.

3 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Does Kaspersky still make theirs? Used to have a version of that with a few other "tools" on it, but sadly that was a couple years ago.

I believe so, most antivirus programs have a rescue disk of sorts.

16 hours ago, Omega said:

He has a key, but it's for the Dell OEM version. 

Call Dell, they may be able to help with that part.   What did chksdk give you?  Any message?  Bad sectors, unable to access etc.  Run: Chkdsk/r so it will repair any; if it's running the scan, your HD may be ok, just may of lost or damaged its allocation table or registry.

http://winwi.net/how-to-fix-file-allocation-table.html

I was able to run CHKDSK/r and it appeared to be working, then at around 16% it quit and wouldn’t do anything else. I couldn’t even exit. I had to shut it down with the power button. I hate doing that. but I had no choice. 

1 minute ago, Randall53 said:

Dell will troubleshoot for $39.95 and give a quote on fixing it. I may end up having to do that. I’d have to box it up and send it to them.

I'd call that my last resort, keep running chkdsk/r to see if it can get through the issue.  When it's running, it's trying to repair any issues it may have.  It also marks the bad sectors so they won't be used again, sometimes it looks to be "stuck", but it's still working.  If you have an indicator light, it blinks when the hard drive is being accessed, as long as it keeps blinking, even if it's just now and then, let it keep running. 

The good news is, more than likely the HD is ok, just a software issue.  Dell puts a hidden partition on the hard drive to recover the pc, which Dell will happily charge you for if you send it to them.   Here are a couple of links which may get you through a complete factory restore.   You WILL lose any personal data on it though, so use it only if there's nothing you need on your HD.  

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/access-recovery-boot-partition-windows-10/

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/factory-reset-command-prompt-021.html

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Omega said:

I'd call that my last resort, keep running chkdsk/r to see if it can get through the issue.  When it's running, it's trying to repair any issues it may have.  It also marks the bad sectors so they won't be used again, sometimes it looks to be "stuck", but it's still working.  If you have an indicator light, it blinks when the hard drive is being accessed, as long as it keeps blinking, even if it's just now and then, let it keep running. 

The good news is, more than likely the HD is ok, just a software issue.  Dell puts a hidden partition on the hard drive to recover the pc, which Dell will happily charge you for if you send it to them.   Here are a couple of links which may get you through a complete factory restore.   You WILL lose any personal data on it though, so use it only if there's nothing you need on your HD.  

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/access-recovery-boot-partition-windows-10/

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/factory-reset-command-prompt-021.html

Very good info. I’ll keep trying for sure. I did a complete backup about a month before it crapped out on me onto an external HD. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1