I want a lever action rifle.

Snaveba

Whelp, I picked up another Marlin 336 from 1957. It’s gonna be a serious project rifle. 
TBH, it kind of looks like someone took a fine grinding wheel to a seriously rusty old 336. There are places the metal almost looks Damascus 😂. However I looked it over and the bore is good. The action is smooth and the trigger feels fine. My plan (as of now) is to cut it down into a 16.5” Trapper, and thread the barrel for a suppressor. It’s not going to be pretty when I am done, maybe a little more like a rifle from MadMax. I might try my hand at re-blueing, who knows. If anyone has a stock and forend for a 336, in bad condition (just not sanded upon) let me know. The stock that is with the “rifle” has been sanded pretty good and the tang (top and bottom) are nowhere near flush. 
IMG_4101.jpeg.324335f72354cab2086e125b16879080.jpeg
IMG_4102.jpeg.fab67fc478b0a3db1d61fd4641efbf57.jpeg

IMG_4103.jpeg.6a4578a7ffed30af9977cb970f4a369d.jpeg

IMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.460cd2aef6d5f3797cd306d9300f186b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
  • Moderators
52 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I don’t think anyone (even an anti-gunner) is gonna call you out on that assessment. 🤣

Hey now don't be hating on this fine, ugly ass, accurate as hell bullet slinger. When I first saw it I was like what have I done. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Hey now don't be hating on this fine, ugly ass, accurate as hell bullet slinger. When I first saw it I was like what have I done. Lol. 

I’m not hating, just agreeing with you. 

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Hi, I’m Snaveba, and I’m a leveraholic. It’s been 30 min since I bought my last lever gun. 

Hi Snaveba, I'm TripleGGG and I'm a leveraholic, it's been.... Oh nevermind I have no intentions of recovery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

You need an intervention or something.  😆

Well…..

I picked up the beat up old ‘54 336 RC that I want to turn into a trapper on Friday. It’s actually not that bad. All the numbers match and the stock is in better shape than I first thought.

But an hour ago, I won an auction for a three digit serial number 1972 Marlin 1985 (first year of the re-issue). So my trifecta of Marlin big bores (.375 Win, .444 Marlin, and 45-70) is now complete. The 1972 1895 has Ballard rifling instead of the usual MicroGroove rifling. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Nice, but most consider the 375 to be a mid bore, like the 38-55 and 35 Rem.

There is another big bore, but unless you just want an expensive club I'd avoid it. The 450.

I don't even remember the last time a factory round was produced for it was.

Brass when you find it, is like $4 a pop, and the factory stuff that is floating around is going for about double that.

I'm a leveraholic also. Marlins. Winchester, Rossi and a couple Henry rifles.

Good luck in your search.

RP

3 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Well…..

I picked up the beat up old ‘54 336 RC that I want to turn into a trapper on Friday. It’s actually not that bad. All the numbers match and the stock is in better shape than I first thought.

But an hour ago, I won an auction for a three digit serial number 1972 Marlin 1985 (first year of the re-issue). So my trifecta of Marlin big bores (.375 Win, .444 Marlin, and 45-70) is now complete. The 1972 1895 has Ballard rifling instead of the usual MicroGroove rifling. 

That’s awesome. You finally got your .45-70. 
Congrats!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sidinman said:

Nice, but most consider the 375 to be a mid bore, like the 38-55 and 35 Rem.

There is another big bore, but unless you just want an expensive club I'd avoid it. The 450.

Well, the 450 Marlin is so new, it doesn’t count in my book (LOL). If Marlin didn’t produce it for pre cross bolt safety guns, well…..

I know that in general, sub .40” is mid bore, but Winchester called their rifles chambered in.375 Win “big bore” so I’m going with that.  😎
Otherwise, I guess I can say I have a pair of big bore (.444 & 45-70) a pair of mid bore (35 Rem & 375 win) although I have multiple rifles chambered in .35 Rem.

• Like 2

I think i am in a good spot to ask this question..   Before i start i understand that 30-30 is superior to 45LC.  I am in the market for a leveraction and trying to decide between the two calibers listed above. The main reason  i would go 45LC is due to the fact i have a Vaquero in that caliber and would not need to add another caliber to my list...The Eastern woods here should i use it to hunt 45LC is gunna do the job.  The 45LC seems a no brainer but am i overlooking any Real advantage by not going 30-30?  like   price,availability,scarcity,etc.

Get both. 😎

I guess it depends on what you want in a lever gun. I like old guns (Marlin, Winchester) and I don’t think 45 Colt was available in lever guns until more recently. It seems to be a popular cartridge for cowboy shooting. It should be ok for deer under 100yards. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, DUKETN said:

I think i am in a good spot to ask this question..   Before i start i understand that 30-30 is superior to 45LC.  I am in the market for a leveraction and trying to decide between the two calibers listed above. The main reason  i would go 45LC is due to the fact i have a Vaquero in that caliber and would not need to add another caliber to my list...The Eastern woods here should i use it to hunt 45LC is gunna do the job.  The 45LC seems a no brainer but am i overlooking any Real advantage by not going 30-30?  like   price,availability,scarcity,etc.

The 45 colt will work just fine up to near a 100 yds., more if you practice and know your weapon.

The 30-30 will have more ammo available at more places than 45 colt, but I'm sure you know that seeing that you own the Vaquero. As to the 45 colt round, it was a pistol cartridge mainly until recent years. From reading in the early years the brass wasn't strong enough for the extractors in rifles.

I have 2 rifles in 45 colt and 5 in 30-30 so I like both.

RP

• Like 1
On 12/2/2023 at 11:56 PM, Snaveba said:

Well, the 450 Marlin is so new, it doesn’t count in my book (LOL). If Marlin didn’t produce it for pre cross bolt safety guns, well…..

I know that in general, sub .40” is mid bore, but Winchester called their rifles chambered in.375 Win “big bore” so I’m going with that.  😎
Otherwise, I guess I can say I have a pair of big bore (.444 & 45-70) a pair of mid bore (35 Rem & 375 win) although I have multiple rifles chambered in .35 Rem.

I too have multiple rifles in 35 and 444, but no 45-70, and there is a 38-55.😉

RP

On 12/3/2023 at 7:35 PM, DUKETN said:

I think originally, the 45 Colt wasn’t chambered in lever rifles because the old balloon head cases couldn’t hold up to the extractor in the rifles. At least that’s what I’ve read. Anyway, that is no longer a problem with modern brass.

The 30-30 is a high power rifle cartridge, and is superior in performance to most any revolver cartridge. Depending on what you expect of the rifle, you may not need all that power.

It is neat to have a revolver and rifle that shoot the same cartridge. Cool thing is that if you decide you don’t like it, they sell like hotcakes.

Both cartridges are expensive, at least to a cheapskate like me. I reload, so cost isn’t as big a factor as it would be if you were buying factory ammo.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3