I want a lever action rifle.

Snaveba

Every gun I ever sold I regretted, but for one. It was an early Taurus 38/357 full size revolver and I believe it was the biggest mistake I ever did by purchasing that revolver. Worst trigger I ever pulled. Taurus has come a long way since then. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Guns & Leather in Greenbrier today. The had just put out a new Rossi R95 in .30-30. If you don’t know this rifle, it is basically a Marlin 336. It seemed well built with good fitting wood. The bluing looked great, but the wood finish was meh to me. I’m guessing it’s Burch or something, finished to look kind of like walnut. The action was smooth. 

I also stopped in at Farragut Sales in Coopertown. He has Hornady Leverevolution in .444 Marlin for $59 out the door. Not the best price, but not too bad. Sadly, no .35 Rem, .375 Win, or 38-55 to be found. 

Well, I did sell one (thanks @chris26) before buying this one, so it was a net zero gain. 

well, this one has a longer barrel and a larger caliber, so I suppose it was not a Net zero gain. I do have more “total lever gun mass” than I did before. 

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Well, I did sell one (thanks @chris26) buying this one, so it was a net zero gain. 

well, this one has a longer barrel and a larger caliber, so I suppose it was not a Net zero gain. I do have more “total lever gun mass” than I did before. 

The mark of a true addict. Rationalizing your actions...purchases.

Don't ask how i know! lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

One is from the mid 70’s and is already at $900 before the high buyers premium (28%). The other was on GB. It was really rough. “A gunsmith special”.  It needed the wood refinished and there were a couple serious spots of rust on the receiver and barrel, and it needed work on the hammer. The bore was in great shape. I dropped out at $760. 

The SRC I’m looking at, that sells on October 21 is rough In its own way. Just well worn on the finish. 

• Like 1

As is well documented, I like lever guns. I parted ways with one recently (Thanks @Rob112o) in anticipation of buying a Marlin in 44-70 or another old Winchester SRC. However, I was checking local haunts for odd ammo and such and one of them had a used Marlin Golden 39a for sale. While I was not looking to buy a 39a, it was definitely on the “list”. This poor rifle was filthy. The bore looked good, so I think the PO must have cleaned it at times, but the action was filthy, as were all the nooks and crannies. Also, it had obviously been left too close to a campfire as side of the stock was charred and the butt plate was missing (it had an old ratty butt pad covering it. The rifle had a period correct Weaver V-22 rimfire scope as well. Unfortunately, the eyepiece was broken  

I looked it over and talked to the counter guy. It was listed at $600 but he offered to let it go at $500. I was going to wait because of some GB auctions I was bidding on, but when I checked them, I had been out bid. Fate was telling me to buy it. I figured that would have to drop another $150+ on a replacement factory stock, but the price was good. 

I wish I had taken before photos of how grungy the entire rifle was. I took it apart completely and cleaned up the metal parts with denatured alcohol. The stock and forend were cleaned up with denatured alcohol and acetone using 0000 steel wool to remove the grunge and old finish. The stock had been lacquered at some point and took more work.

Since I was initially planning on replacing it, I was more aggressive and used some 150 and 400 grit sandpaper. I was able to remove the finish and the loose burnt wood until I got down to decent “charred” wood. Once done, I went back with several applications of Danish Oil. I think it turned out pretty nice. I actually like the look of the charred areas. I have a “new” butt plate on the way. Once I get it installed, I will see how much modification it will need to match new contour of the end of the stock. I can always replace the stock if I want to, but I like that I have saved the original stock as best as I can. 

Still on the hunt for a 45-70. 

IMG_3743.jpeg.dc38d2d4e0e9dee34ad2c80b2c7a45f4.jpeg

IMG_3744.thumb.jpeg.b7027a655d58e61e538a1efee2be2215.jpeg

IMG_3745.thumb.jpeg.1ee14906e14958208313eb3647b6b6f4.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

As is well documented, I like lever guns. I parted ways with one recently (Thanks @Rob112o) in anticipation of buying a Marlin in 44-70 or another old Winchester SRC. However, I was checking local haunts for odd ammo and such and one of them had a used Marlin Golden 39a for sale. While I was not looking to buy a 39a, it was definitely on the “list”. This poor rifle was filthy. The bore looked good, so I think the PO must have cleaned it at times, but the action was filthy, as were all the nooks and crannies. Also, it had obviously been left too close to a campfire as side of the stock was charred and the butt plate was missing (it had an old ratty butt pad covering it. The rifle had a period correct Weaver V-22 rimfire scope as well. Unfortunately, the eyepiece was broken  

I looked it over and talked to the counter guy. It was listed at $600 but he offered to let it go at $500. I was going to wait because of some GB auctions I was bidding on, but when I checked them, I had been out bid. Fate was telling me to buy it. I figured that would have to drop another $150+ on a replacement factory stock, but the price was good. 

I wish I had taken before photos of how grungy the entire rifle was. I took it apart completely and cleaned up the metal parts with denatured alcohol. The stock and forend were cleaned up with denatured alcohol and acetone using 0000 steel wool to remove the grunge and old finish. The stock had been lacquered at some point and took more work.

Since I was initially planning on replacing it, I was more aggressive and used some 150 and 400 grit sandpaper. I was able to remove the finish and the loose burnt wood until I got down to decent “charred” wood. Once done, I went back with several applications of Danish Oil. I think it turned out pretty nice. I actually like the look of the charred areas. I have a “new” butt plate on the way. Once I get it installed, I will see how much modification it will need to match new contour of the end of the stock. I can always replace the stock if I want to, but I like that I have saved the original stock as best as I can. 

Nice clean up job. She looks good. 

On 9/24/2023 at 11:10 AM, Snaveba said:

Looks good! The real surprise will come when you shoot it. Those rifles are amazing.

I want to say I have a Marlin 336 maybe? It’s a lever action 30-30Win rifle. Hell it’s about 30-32 inches long. I believe it’s a 94 model so probably a bit of Remington in it. I shoot my first dear with one exactly like it. Nostalgia is the only reason I bought it. I don’t even think I have ever shot it! Damn I’m getting old!

On 9/24/2023 at 12:10 PM, Snaveba said:

I want to say PSA has a Marlin 45-70 “modern” lever gun for a decent price.