Model 52 with what used to be a 'Standard' barrel

MemHeli

So I'm no expert on Model 52's but I've been looking at getting one for awhile now.  Ran across this curious setup early this week.  Looking for input.  Seems sketchy to me.

Late 30's build, barrel has been cut down to 22", and counter-drilled 3/8" hole down 6" making it essentially a 16" barrel.  Unertl 12x Programmer Scope.  

What is all this about?  

It's quite possible it was setup for "bottlecap shooting".  Guys did all kinds of things to those guns to help with cold bore flyers, etc.  

The back boring concept has been used a lot in different scenario's.  One of the most common is using it as a way to 'tune' a rifle.

There are a ton of 52's and 40x's out there.  If you want one, you can certainly find a nice one if you keep your eye out.  

That being said, it may be worth shooting it and see how it does.  Price would be important factor of course and depending on the condition of the Unertl it will also play a big factor.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

Maybe something along the lines of what the Pistol Caliber Carbine shooters are doing these days. 
16 inch barrel counter bored back to 12, 10, or even 8 inches. Gives a legal carbine length barrel with reduced weight and a balance point shifted back for easier off hand shooting. 

Maybe they wanted to lighten up that rifle and shift the weight back slightly. 

Reminds me of a Remington 514 I'm holding for a friend. Its a factory shot bore 22. It has a 24 3/4" barrel with 12.5" of open bore thats nearly 7/16ths" in diameter. The bore below that has no rifling. The only visual give away is a shotgun bead on the end aside from the shot bore stamping. I suppose that 52 may be a few decibles quieter like that? All tho a standard vel 22 maxes out its velocity rather early in the bore and it may be an effort to find its max FPS. Its thought that the end barrel bore drag on slowing the bullet has some negative effect on accuracy in the shot to shot consistancy. Who knows, that 52 might be pretty kick ass with some std vel Eleys! 

• Like 1