I-95 Virginia cluster

Hey Greg, maybe you need to consult for VDOT and explain to watch the weather forecast. I am sure Gov. Northam would appreciate the input. I don't know if ya'll have watched this, but it is a cluster. Another of the myriad reasons I don't prefer to travel interstates unless there isn't much of a choice. On a 2 lane highway you can turn around and detour.

• Like 1

I saw an article where U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia was stuck in this mess. He left Richmond at around noon Monday for the two hour drive to D.C. He tweeted after 19 hours that he had been in touch with the Governor. I'm guessing he ain't happy.  😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

I'm sure the good Gov. has donned his snowshoes & headed out there.

With only 11 days left in office I’m sure he’s more concerned with his outgoing gala ball, memoirs, and how to blame this on the new Governor.

I remember the big snow storm I think in 2000 when it snowed so hard and fast that it completely shut down Nashville. It was taking hours for folks to get home I -town. I flew in from Jersey that might and recall I-24 was a parking lot. I also seem to remember the National Guard was sent up I-40 to the Plateau to rescue stranded motorists. Maybe up Monteagle Mt. as well. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I remember the big snow storm I think in 2000 when it snowed so hard and fast that it completely shut down Nashville. It was taking hours for folks to get home I -town. I flew in from Jersey that might and recall I-24 was a parking lot. I also seem to remember the National Guard was sent up I-40 to the Plateau to rescue stranded motorists. Maybe up Monteagle Mt. as well. 

Yep, I remember that. Quite a mess. Plus, TN has the best snow drivers on the planet. NOT!

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I saw an article where U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia was stuck in this mess. He left Richmond at around noon Monday for the two hour drive to D.C. He tweeted after 19 hours that he had been in touch with the Governor. I'm guessing he ain't happy.  😵

That just warms my heart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
11 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Nothing was in place to deal with highways.

I find that hard to believe. When I was working for my city, every year along about November we were mounting salt spreaders and stockpiling salt and sand. Even though the nasty stuff usually didn't hit until around January or February, we prepared well in advance. Virginia may have been caught with their pants down, but surely they would have had equipment and supplies in place. If not, heads need to roll. 🤬

40 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I find that hard to believe. When I was working for my city, every year along about November we were mounting salt spreaders and stockpiling salt and sand. Even though the nasty stuff usually didn't hit until around January or February, we prepared well in advance. Virginia may have been caught with their pants down, but surely they would have had equipment and supplies in place. If not, heads need to roll. 🤬

I wonder if the interstate didn't just get overloaded? A small crash on the front end would be easy to back it up for 10+ miles. Heck, I've seen that on I-24 around Chatt. 

Not to mention, how many vehicles had their drivers leave them & walk to an exit? Can't move a locked car easily. Tow it, sure, but aside from that, it'd be hard to move.

This thing was just a cluster screwing from the git go.

1 hour ago, TripleGGG said:

One of my best friends lives in Fredericksburg VA. He says it's a total $hit $how. Said they told them could be out of power for 2 weeks or more. Nothing was in place to deal with highways. 

Well, you can’t plow snow before it falls, it takes a little while to plow several hundred miles of interstate, and you can’t plow underneath parked cars. Everybody’s a critic I reckon.

44 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

I wonder if the interstate didn't just get overloaded? A small crash on the front end would be easy to back it up for 10+ miles. Heck, I've seen that on I-24 around Chatt. 

Not to mention, how many vehicles had their drivers leave them & walk to an exit? Can't move a locked car easily. Tow it, sure, but aside from that, it'd be hard to move.

This thing was just a cluster screwing from the git go.

You could throw a tennis ball across an interstate and back triffid up for miles. It doesn’t take much.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Well, you can’t plow snow before it falls, it takes a little while to plow several hundred miles of interstate, and you can’t plow underneath parked cars. Everybody’s a critic I reckon.

Way more to the issues in that state at the moment. Let's just say a political battlefield. Infrastructure decisions have consequences during times like this. Heads should roll. 

3 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Way more to the issues in that state at the moment. Let's just say a political battlefield. Infrastructure decisions have consequences during times like this. Heads should roll. 

Oh, I don’t doubt that. That governor up there ought to be tarred and feathered. I’m just saying sometimes things like this just can’t be prevented.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

It should be hard to believe. Heads do need to roll. My buddy had been over presidential inauguration planning so he knows what he's talking about. Some of the things he's shared the last few years are mind blowing. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Oh, I don’t doubt that. That governor up there ought to be tarred and feathered. I’m just saying sometimes things like this just can’t be prevented.

I agree sometimes things just happen but there used to be enough people and equipment to respond. Tarred and feathered is an understatement. 

• Thanks 1

I stay in Fredricksburg couple times a year. Most traffic is into DC in AM then out. If you think Atlanta is crazy this stretch is 10x worse,nobody drives under 90mph and rush hour it sits for hours then an hour getting off exit.   I once sat three hours from my exit waiting on my exit after a six car/semi pilup on a dry sunny day.